PDA

View Full Version : Colonic or Colon Cleasner

Pretti in Pink
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I was thinking about doing a colon cleasner but I have heard that it will wipe all the meds out of your system, has anyone done one and mind sharing your experience? Or do you have an alternative which will serve the same purpose.

I have gained so much weight since being on prednisone (20lbs.) that I can no longer fit any of much clothes and it is beginning to depress me. It seems like I need something to eat all the time. I have gone up two dress sizes, this BAD! Any diet ideas will be helpful as well.

Saysusie
10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I, personally, do colon cleansing about two times per year. Primarily due to my IBS. I have not heard that it eradicates all of your medications from your system. Medications are mostly in your blood stream, detoxification is for your digestive system (colon) and waste removal. I do know that it is supposed to get rid of the toxins that build up when your body does not eliminate waste as it should (as is the case with IBS). Toxic matter in the colon can cause colon diseases, headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, and cardiovascular disease. There are some who believe that toxic matter causes Lupus, but there is no scientific proof of this.
Cleansing the colon can also get rid of unwanted parasites that our bodies might be harboring. These parasites can come from insect bites, rare meat, vegetables not cleaned properly, and pets. When our colons become backed up then serious problems can develop. A toxic colon can lead to food intolerance and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. Even though you may have regular bowel movements, the waste can pass through the colon and still leave accumulated residue on the walls behind it. A dirty colon can cause the muscles of the colon wall to lose tone, and ballooning or pouches can form causing diverticulosis. Food is trapped in these pouches and become breeding grounds for bacteria.
Now, here is the important part. Many of our doctors tell us to cleanse our colons by increasing our intake of fiber (rather than using potent colon cleansers). It is suggested that we take fiber daily (psyllium is a good fiber that promotes a clean colon, but it can cause gas) such as Metamucil or Citrucel. We are also advised to eat raw vegetables which are high in fiber and drink lots and lots of water (this helps to flush out toxins). Also, start your day off with a cup of hot water (I do this religiously).
Whatever method you choose, make sure that you discuss it with your doctor to ensure that you are not interfering with any medications or that your current status would not be harmed by the process. I wish you the best of luck.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
10-06-2007, 04:13 AM
thanks Saysusie. This gives me a little more insight into it. Any good diet ideas?

Saysusie
10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
There have been lots of discussions about what a good diet would be for Lupus patients. Many people have found that alfalfa seeds may worsen Lupus because they contain an immune system-stimulating compound called L-canavanine, which may trigger lupus flares. But recommendations on how diet and nutrition affect lupus seem to be few and far between despite the fact that doctors recommend a healthy diet as one of the therapies for Lupus. Most doctors will advise you to eat a healthy and balanced diet because everyone feels better when they eat better, but that's about all that they will recommend.

Here is the standard diet that most of us have been told would help us - none of these have any scientific proof, just testimonials:
Eat a balanced diet limited in calories and fat (especially saturated and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids), containing rich sources of vitamin E, vitamin A (beta carotene), selenium and calcium; Vitamin E, vitamin A, and selenium are antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties that could help people with lupus; also potentially beneficial are fish oils (which contain omega-3 fatty acids), evening primrose oil, flaxseed, a plant herb called Tripterygium wilfordii, and supplements of a weak male hormone called dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA);

We are advised to stay away from zinc, which is found in meat and shellfish, especially oysters. Zinc enhances immune response, and you don't want to help your immune system to fight itself; People with lupus should limit fat intake to less than 30% of total calories, and may want to avoid substances rich in omega-6 fatty acids including safflower oil, sunflower oil, poppy seed oil, and corn oil, because these fats may exacerbate the disease. But the omega-3 fatty acids contained in the oils of several fish varieties, including mackerel, tuna, whitefish, and herring, may slow the disease and have an anti-inflammatory effect.

Supplements of bone-building calcium, along with vitamin D, which helps the bones better absorb calcium, also may be beneficial to people with lupus because the steroids commonly used to treat the illness may result in the brittle bone disease osteoporosis.

Basically, for people with lupus, there are potential benefits to healthy lifestyle, including healthy eating. However, please remember that there is no cure for chronic autoimmune diseases such as lupus from diet!

If you are taking steroids, it is recommended that you add 1,500 to 2,000 milligrams of calcium, and 800 international units of vitamin D. Lastly, it has been suggested that DHEA may help relieve mild to moderate lupus, and may allow a tapering off of [the steroid] prednisone.

I would suggest that, prior to taking any supplements, you talk to your doctor about diet and supplements. Be especially careful of some herbal remedies because they can actually aggravate your Lupus.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Pretti,

I have to agree with Suze, I've done the cleansing and I always feel much better afterwards. I too have gained TONS of weight....TONS.

My doctor put me on very high grade fish oil, 3,000 mg daily. It's a terrific anti-inflammatory agent. Because I have advanced kidney involvement, I have to limit my protein to more vegetarian type of proteins (beans, etc.).

I happen to be very allergic to all gluten products and that was a 2 year under-taking to figure that out. I agree with Suze that you should discuss it with your doctor and just let them know what you're thinking about doing.

Once a month, I do a modified fast (always drinking liquids though)....I break my fast by drinking a hot cup of water...and spirulina tea which is high protein, but yet gets your body back into accepting foods. I don't recommend this for anyone - it's just what I do for myself.
Everyone is different, and with all the meds involved it is such a great risk. My doctor is located just a couple blocks away so I always stop in for heart rate, etc. whenever I do it.

Drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water!!!!!!! Those medications can build up in your system, and water is so good for you.

Let us know how you do. Take good care of yourself, friend!!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Pretti in Pink
10-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks Saysusie and Browneyed girl,

I have also been discussing this with Oluwa and she has given me some good advice as well. I think my main problem is curbing the hunger. I am also soooo hungary, it's like I can't get through one meal before I start thinking about the next. So I do pack some snacks, which most days include fruit but also 100 calories snacks. I really didn't know about the flaxoil and such, are they vitamins, liquid, certain types of food? Can you give me an example?

I am about to start another round of chemo since my kidney biopsy so any of that which helps boost my immune system will be great as well. I'm not sure how long I will have to be on it since I have been off now for 3 months waiting on them to decide what they were going to do. But my rheumi feels like I need to do more cytoxan before I can go on cellcept.

Ave_paramo
10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi,

I did a 'master cleanse' fast three times in the last two years. Last time I was taking Calcort while I was doing it, but I still can't answer your question about whether it cleans out the meds because the calcort doesn't seem to work for me anyway. But I would guess that it doesn't clean the meds out.

I think the cleanse can be good for specific goals, but there are some things to watch out for.

I'm always surprised that I don't get hungry for days doing this. If you have been eating carbohydrates you have to go through a couple of days of cravings while the insulin blood sugar level evens out. There's a fiber mix that has pectin and bentonite clay in it. You mix it up with a small glass of water and drink it fast, and it makes you feel full, really takes away the hunger.

And then I do the fast at a retreat place where nobody is eating, so I don't see or smell food anywhere. It makes it really easy. I live in Costa Rica, so I go up to a place in the jungle near the beach where a friend of mine does really inexpensive retreats.

I did the juice fasts because I have a bunch of food allergies, and I needed to start from a really restricted diet and add foods back really slowly. It helped me do that, and helped me figure out which foods were giving me the problem. Also, there's so much of your body energy taken up with digestion that it can be surprising how much energy it frees up. I find that I go back to normal energy levels once my digestive system has filled up again tho.

If you have diverticulosis I think it's helpful cleaning out old toxic material in the colonic pouches. The pectin/bentonite clay mixture gives you odd bowel movements and some people interpret those as old material being cleaned out of the colon, but your colon generally doesn't store old material in the except in the diverticuli. Pectin turns into a kind of hard jelly - I think that's how it keeps you from feeling hungry.