PDA

View Full Version : Is it Lupus or the plaquenil?

Miranda
10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
:( I went to my gynecologist complaining of burning when i urinate and pain in my back (that's been there for quite some time), The first urine test came back mildly positive for a bladder infection but the culture they did showed up as negative. It's still hurting to urinate, more at some times than others, like evening and morning are worst. Is this the plaquenil possibly causing this or just a normal lupus thing you have to deal with. I'm kinda ticked I wasn't offered any sort of meds to help cope with this :(

Saysusie
10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Burning urine is not likely to be a side-effect of plaquenil. However, infections of the urinary tract, with burning on urination, are quite common in people with lupus and require antibiotic treatment. If there is no infection, then perhaps you should suggest to your doctor to test you to see if you are having some kidney involvement.

Let us know what you find out and how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Miranda
10-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm guessing this is why they did the Urine culture? to check for kidney stuff? I'm just so frustrated that everything came back saying I'm fine when I don't feel fine.

Nekhbet
10-03-2007, 03:17 AM
I beleive some people were mentioning that they had recurrent "infections" with negative cultures. Strange.

I beleive they mentioned that urinary tract support capsules that you can buy from the chemist worked. I suppose it would have cranberry in it and the like.

If it is burning- can you get some ural or something to neutralise it? That may help ease the symptoms.

Miranda
10-03-2007, 05:07 AM
I beleive some people were mentioning that they had recurrent "infections" with negative cultures. Strange.

I beleive they mentioned that urinary tract support capsules that you can buy from the chemist worked. I suppose it would have cranberry in it and the like.

If it is burning- can you get some ural or something to neutralise it? That may help ease the symptoms.

now I don't feel crazy knowing other women have experienced this with the negative cultures too.

I'll definitely be hunting down those capsules lol .. seriously, thanks :)

Nekhbet
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Just as a posiblity- it could be interstitial cystitis. That can cause those symptoms with a negative culture. In that case cranberry juice would be bad as it is acidic. I found these sugestions on a website

http://www.ichelp.org/TreatmentAndSelfHelp/ICAndSelfHelp.html

• Placing a cold pack, heating pad or hot water bottle directly on the perineum.
• Taking a warm sitz bath, with or without Epsom salts (also saw on another site putting baking powder in the bath helps)
• Placing your knees against your chest, reclining with spread legs or adopting a squatting position
• Drink a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of baking soda.

and these changes to diet

• Avoid beer, wine, alcohol, caffeine, fruits, aged cheeses, yeast, cured or processed meats, artificial sweeteners and carbonated beverages. Substitute decaffeinated, reduced-acid, teas and coffees. Drink non-carbonated bottled water instead of tap water
• Follow a low-acid diet, eliminating such foods as tomatoes, vinegar, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and fruits and juices, or products that contain these ingredients
• Avoid spicy foods and chocolate (which contains caffeine)
• Add fiber to your diet to promote regular bowel movements

I think i saw something on another site about bladder training to assist in it as well or something. I'm sure I saw a link on this site somewhere too. Maybe in a resourses or links section???

If it isn't this, then the capsules I mentioned would help. I imagine neutralising your urine as mentioned about would help regardless of the cause though.
GL

Gisθle
10-14-2007, 12:54 PM
The point of getting a urine culture is to determine the type of bacteria that is causing the symptoms, and when the bacteria is known, an antibiotic can be prescribed to get rid of it. Now, when urine cultures come back negative, that could mean a few things. Something that I have been struggling with is urethritis, which is inflammation of your urethra, and it causes the symptoms you listed and it also brings back negative cultures because it's the urethra that's affected, not the urine or bladder, so urethritis will come back with negative cultures. Urethritis also makes your lower back hurt, it feels like menstrual cramps, but it's not. My urologist found my urethritis by a cystoscopy. Normally, urethritis is caused by bacteria, but he did a biopsy which didn't show bacteria, just inflammation, and antibiotics are doing nothing. From my understanding, lupus causes inflammation in our bodies, so urethritis can just be from lupus or another autoimmune problem.
Another possibility could be kidney involvement, I would ask your uro/gyn about that possibilty.
And someone mentioned interstitial cystitis, which is a possiblity as well. It does cause those symptoms and brings back negative cultures. It can normally be diagnosed with a cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy. Sadly, IC does not have a cure yet, but there are diet changes and medicines to help relieve symptoms.
I went through many many doctors at one point because of urinary problems, and only ONE doctor suggested a cystoscopy to diagnose urethritis. I would recommend possibly mentioning these possibilites to your uro/gyn. Urinary problems are no fun, I hope you feel better soon!
Also, some medicines to discuss with your doctor to relieve symptoms are Urelle, Urised, or Pyridium, which are all presciptions that can relieve the burning, frequency, etc. Over the counter AZO pills can help, too, they are like Pyridium. Out of those three, I would recommend Urised. Urelle takes a long time to kick in, and only provides a couple hours of relief, Pyridium works fast and is very good, but it turns your urine orange, which is a mess, and it's not the best one to use longer term. Urised does take a couple hours to notice relief, but it's more effective in my personal experience. Also, I was prescribed Vicodin for the lower back pain, and I also use a heating pad. To also help with burning, you can take a bath in warm water, no soap, and that usually provides relief. Feel better!

Miranda
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
wow, things to think about huh? lol thanks gals for your insight in all of this. The Urethritis thing makes sense but boy does that stink there's nothing they can do, also explains why it's coming and going and the antibiotics did diddly squat. Thanks :)