PDA

View Full Version : Pleurisy treatment?

blythecollector
09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I am not yet diagnosed as far as the bloodwork. It has been over a year ago I had a neg ana.

however I have most all the other "symptoms".

I have what feels like pleurisy right now and have a doc appt in the morning.

I have the small red pin head dots all over...called something that starts with a P...

anyone here have episodes with pleurisy very often?

and how will they treat it?

Oluwa
09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello Blythe,

I currently have pleurisy and I am dosing with with Naproxen 500 mg two times a day. Which basically is equivalent to 2 1/2 pills of OTC Aleve, two times a day. I believe Aleve has 200mg of naproxen per blue pill.

I am also taking it with Protonix, a acid pump inhibitor because I have GERD. Tame the belly flame from rotting out my esophagus and any further damage from Naproxen.

If the pain, and inflammation doesn't totally resolve they will prescribe steroids on Monday. I think I won't have to take the scaryroids...hopefully, I think...ah, I don't want too...

Could your P rash be...(copy and pasted)....

Petechiae or purpura. It is caused by ruptured blood vessels under the skin. Petechiae appear as tiny, red, pinpoint, flat spots. They look as if someone used a fine-tip red ink pen to put little dots on the skin. Purpura is similar, but is larger and can be more purple or blue in color. The two most important signs that you can use to distinguish these spots from other rashes are:

They don't blanch when you press on them. Many other kinds of spots, when pressed, will turn white or skin colored for 1 or 2 seconds, and then turn red again. Petechiae and purpura will stay red or purple. They won't blanch at all when pressed.
They are completely flat. Because they occur under the skin, you won't be able to feel any bump.

Do a google for further info...Petechiae or purpura.

Hope this helps...
Oluwa

blythecollector
09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
hey thanks for responding :)

yes the rash is that exactly!

it says it should be checked....

So good thing I in to the doc tomorrow.

misslisa1017
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I get those red spots too, but I only get a couple of them. Right now I have two on my one breast and one on my arm. If they are still there Monday then I'll show them to my rheumatologist. Or perhaps let my regular doctor look at em. What are they and what are they from?

I've always gotten these things.

Lisa

blythecollector
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
well I went to the doc today, and they did bloodwork. I won' know anything for a few days on it.

I do have pleurisy, and they gave me claritin for it..

I showed the doc the little red spots and he acted like they are no ig deal and called them something else, not petichia.

It was the quickest visit I have ever had with a doc. :shock:

misslisa1017
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Claritin for pleurisy? Isn't claritin an allergy medication? I'm confused. Well...I am. I'm always confused anyways.

Oluwa
09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Humm...Claritin. I always read NSAIDS or steriods for inflammation and pain pills, well, for the pain.

Blythe, maybe you need to ask your doctor what the Claritin is for?

Were the red dots just broken capillaries under the skin? They make little red dot. Looks like transparent blood though the skin. I have a few here and there. Had them for eons..

But how are you feeling otherwise Blythe?

Oluwa

blythecollector
09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
yep claritin...I thought that was weird too!

He was very dismissive, and in a hurry,
:roll:

He ordered the bloodtest - for ana results. But he didn't do a urine analysis.

the local lupus chapter said that he should have done the urine check also.

I am tired, have been super tired...

I have fibro as well.

Oluwa
09-28-2007, 04:39 PM
B,

Maybe you should seek out another doctor. I am. If, you don't feel like your doctor is meeting your needs you should.

People's illnesses keep doctors in business. Without patients how would they learn?

Oluwa

blythecollector
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I am. I have to apply for medically needy and get to a Rheumy.

where I go is a volunteer clinic, so you ever see the same doc, and they are GP's only.

being without insurance is a tough spot.
especially with Lupus, as it seems so many docs don't want to deal with it.

I am attending the Lupus support luncheon coming up to meet some people in my area.

thanks everyone for responding :)

It's nice not to feel alone.