PDA

View Full Version : Been "Sick" for 2 years and no diagnosis?!

lovinlife
09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
I got married in April 2005 and became very sick in Feb. 2006. I was hospitialized because my doctor suspected sepsis, underwent a gammot of tests and three days later was discharged with no answers. I have been to two different infectious disease docs and told by both that I had NO infection and that my symptoms were rheumatological. Naturally, the first rheumy I went to thought that I had a "hidden infection" :roll: . I got in with another rheumy and he thought that I could be suffering from viral arthritis and put me on Plaquenil. My husband and PCP were not satisfied and got me on the oh so long waiting list with a rheumy at Vanderbilt Hospital. It was well worth the five month wait because she has been wonderful and knows that I have an autoimmune disorder. She is sceptical to diagnose me because my test results have come back negative for lupus, but told me that she doesn't want to "label" me until she is sure. She told me that since I am only 26 it could be a few years before all my symptoms arise.

My symptoms are:
Fever (everyday)
Joint Pain
Extreme Weakness
Hives
Lacey Rash
Butterfly Rash
Frequent UTI

I used to teach Kindergarten until I became sick. I only hope one day that I can teach again. I have a passion and love for children.

Thanks for reading,

Lovinlife

hatlady
09-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Welcome, Lovinlife!

You've already learned that a good doc can make a huge difference. Sometimes autoimmune conditions can take years to diagnose, they can be so subtle and so complex.

I hope you'll soon feel well enough to go back to work - you have an important talent - not everyone can be a teacher. And even fewer are gifted enough to be in charge of those little ones!

Gentle hugs - and keep posting - sharing makes such a differnce for all of us, we learn from each other and support each other.

Sh33na
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello! I'm glad you posted. Isn't it frustrating to not know what is going on or why? I was put through years of testing for MS, diagnosed with fibromyalgia - which is now in question because I'm finally diagnosed with Lupus.

I hope you get all the answers you need and that you are able to use your talents in a positive way. Meanwhile, enjoy being a newlywed. I think you can call yourself a newlywed for several years!