PDA

View Full Version : azathioprine

peilan70
09-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I am on high dose prednisone and plaquenil. I've been on prednisone (mostly at 10-15 mg doses) for 22 years and plaquenil for ~12 years. This recent flare is a nasty one and we are now talking of starting Immuran (azathioprine). i am nervous and a bit scared of starting yet another immunosupressive, but its been pretty bad these days and I've had to go on disability.

What are people's experience with azathioprine? side effects? effectiveness?

THANKS

Nekhbet
09-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Thanks for asking. My rheumie is threatening me with this if I flare in the next month (if not I get to start trying for a baby- go figure). Although he has stated that he may put me on this in pregnancy. I thought he was meaning instead of the plaquenil, but apparently he meant in addition too.

I'm worried that the drug info sheet still says catagory D, although the rheumie and the materno-foeto guy both say it is ok. Although the second one may not have known he is meaning "as well as the plaquenil".

My DH is worried about cancer if I go on it. You do have an increased risk. Although if you are flaring bad- it may be a better option as the flare may be worse for your body.