PDA

View Full Version : Protein in Urine

mskin
09-24-2007, 03:53 PM
:?
I wonder if anyone can tell me what it means if you have protein in your urine? I was stable at a 1+, but now am a 2+. I do have Systemic Lupus, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Fibromialgia, Raynauds, Arthritis, etc. Do I need to find another doctor if it is anything to do with the kidney or should my Rheumy be able to help me. I also have something showing up in the liver, could this all be because of meds? I was on Methotrexate for about 5 years and after the Pulmonary Fibrosis showed up they switched me to Luflonomide. Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks. MSKIN

Pretti in Pink
09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Protein in your urine does have to do with your kidney and the progression of it can lead to lupus nephritis, which many of us on the forum have or had. I currently have it and I see a nephrologisty for mine. Sometimes they have to do a kidney biopsy to see the severity (if any) of kidney problems/disease.

On the flip side, my doctor also told me that sometimes people have protein in their urine when they have a urinary tract infection. Which is not as serious as lupus nephritis and is treatable with antibiotics. Either way it is something that should be monitored and followed up on.

Missy
09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Ditto to everything Pretti said!

I'm a big fan of phone calls to my doc when I'm concerned about something.