PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing vs. Building the Immune system

Lula2ya
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone... I was wondering and maybe somebody has an answer. My doctor told me before to beware of supplements that claim to Build or Boost your Immune System because --- we are suppressing it (with methotrexate and pred) because it is over active. But I was wondering if this is different from a supplement which claim to 'Enhance" your immune system. Isn't building and enhancing he same thing???? Just curious. I currently don't take supplements other than vitamins and calcium for this reason. Maybe this is a no brainer. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say.

Saysusie
09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I would say that building and enhancing, in this context, mean the same thing. I would also agree with your doctor, be very careful about herbal medications and supplements because many of them can actually exacerbate our symptoms and cause a flare-up!
That's my opinion...maybe someone else has a different take on it! :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Missy
09-17-2007, 07:55 PM
I vote the same as Saysusie - a lot of those supplements have things like echinacea in them, which is one of the many things that can induce your immune system to "work." Right now, it sounds like your immune system needs to work less. I've been there, and know it's hard, when so many people with healthy immune systems that don't understand suggest such supplements!

Good luck!

hatlady
09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Agree agree agree!!!!!

I'm very careful with what I take now, because of the interaction potentials. Whatever you consider taking, talk to your doc first. Sometimes my doc says "well, it won't hurt, but I don't know if it will help," other times it is "NO" and still other times she suggests that I take certain things - like glucosamine/chondroitin (or however you spell it)