PDA

View Full Version : Botox for Spasmodic Dysphonia worked!

magistramarla
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I had my first botox treatment for my vocal chords on Wednesday, and it worked!! It was quite an experience. They put a camera down my nose, and then numbed my throat until I couldn't swallow. I didn't even feel the injection. My voice was a bit weak yesterday, but it's getting stronger all the time. I really, really feel better!
Now, tomorrow I have an MRI and next Wednesday - the nerve study. I'll let you know what happens as I figure out what's going on with me.
Marla

Pretti in Pink
09-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Nice to hear you're getting some positive results.

browneyedgirl53
09-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Magistralmama,

I'm happy to hear that you had good results. I was wondering if you could explain what dysphonia is???? I've never heard of it, and is it common symptom of lupus?

Keep us posted and let us know how you're healing.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

magistramarla
09-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Browneyedgirl,
Spasmodic Dysphonia is a neurological disorder of the vocal chords. I haven't heard of anyone else with Lupus having it. It means that because of a mistake in the signals from my brain, my vocal chords would spasm and make my voice weak, shaky and breathy. It was getting progressively worse. The Botox injections will temporarily paralyze the vocal chords and keep them from spasming. It should help for 3 or 4 months, then I'll need the next injection. Since I'm a teacher, and I depend on my voice, it's very important to me to be able to speak comfortably. So far, I think that the Botox has helped.
My neurologist says that the SD, the Meniere's disease and the neuropathy in my feet have all been caused by something called spinocellebrar ataxia, a genetic neurological disorder. I'm in the middle of getting genetic testing, an MRI and a nerve study. I still don't think that they have totally ruled out Central Nervous System Lupus, since I have a malar rash and pleurisy, too. My body seems to be showing up with all kinds of rare disorders. I'm just trying to get it all sorted out and trying to keep teaching at the same time.
Thanks for the concern, and I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Marla

browneyedgirl53
09-16-2007, 04:29 AM
Hi Marla,

Thanks so much for sharing. I do have CNS lupus and have had more tests than I will ever want to do again. Lupus is such a difficult disease to diagnose and so many symptoms mimic of diseases as well.

It has been on my heart for awhile now to research and find out how do we get the funding, marketing, research, and in your face telethons, fund raisers to bring to the publics' attention, just how serious and debilitating this disease can be. Great strides have been made for breast cancer, diabetes, etc. I would love to see lupus join them in leaping forward to finding better treatment options, more research and perhaps a cure!

I'm so thankful that you have good doctors that can treat you and provide you with good care.

My very best wishes on your recovery.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

p.s. Teachers are my very favorite people in the whole wide world!!!!!!