PDA

View Full Version : Ramadaan just started ( is it safe for me?)

Morpheus
09-13-2007, 12:46 AM
To give a quick rundown, Ramadaan is the holy month whereby muslims all over the world observe the fast between sunrise and sunset for 30 days.
What this means is that the muslim should abstain from all food and drink for that prescribed time.

Could someone please advise if this is advised for me?
I have lupus nephritis for 12 years now.

Are there any other muslim lupies out there in the same situation?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated thanks

Missy
09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi Morpheus!

What a tough predicament to be in - to possibly have to choose between your health and a part of your faith practice. Hmmmmm........

I'm afraid I don't have any specific info for you, but what I think is that it's worth a phone call to the doctor to ask. However, I bet it really depends on how you feel when you do it. I've certainly not eaten all day unintentionally when things are really busy at work, and I've only been hungry later.

Can you drink water, though? I know my kidney Dr. thinks that's an important part.

Good luck!

Saysusie
09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a dear friend who is Muslim and has diabetes. About 3 yrs ago, while observing Ramadaan, she went into a diabetic coma and had to be hospitalized for almost a month. She was told by her doctors that the fasting would kill her. So, she opted for a vegetarian diet with lots of fruit, protein drinks and fresh vegetable juices during Ramadaan and explained this to the leaders at her mosque who agreed that she should not go on a total fast. Her doctors were not entirely thrilled with her diet, but did agree to let her do it as long as her glucose levels remained acceptable.

I know that for Lupus patients, we are admantly told not to fast and to modify our diets in order to eat healthy. I suppose that it depends upon your symptoms. Probably the best thing for you to do is to call your doctor and ask if it is safe for you to fast for 30 days. I would venture to say that he would not think it a good idea. Let us know what you find out!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

hatlady
09-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Morpheus.

Its my understanding that those who have health issues may forgo the fast. If I were you, I'd talk to the Imam or the leader at your Mosque, explain your condition and ask if there is some other way you can show prayerful respect during the month. Saysusie's friend handled it well, I think, maybe you could use her as an example.

I had a Hindu friend once tell me that "there are many paths up the mountain," meaning that there are many ways to worship and praise Allah/God/Vishnu, whatever name we give that entitity that grants us so much joy in this life. Sometimes we have to look at a way that may be a little different than our faith would immediately indicate. For many years now, when I go to Catholic Mass with my mother, I haven't knelt at any part of the Mass. I can't do that without great pain. I show respect by sitting quietly during those times.

May you be blessed during this Ramadaan,

Pretti in Pink
09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I observe Lent during the Easter Season but I give "fast" from a particular thing since I am on medication that requires I eat.

LAURIW
09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi morphues,
Wishing u well over the month of ramadaan,
I would think the other ladies are correct, it's probably not a good idea to be fasting, from my own experience I definately need some form of substanance to keep me going during the day,
I read some of your previous posts and just wanted to check whether I am correct: Are u from Cape town, South Africa? If yes, YEAH! so am I,
Please let me know, would love to chat to u, haven't been able to find any support groups or forums in this neck of the woods?

Lauri :wink:

Morpheus
09-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Hi Lauri, I am infact from Cape Town. Would be nice to chat yeah.

My email : shafeekn@gmail.com :)

P.S Nice weather these days hey?

LAURIW
09-20-2007, 02:40 AM
hI,
sent u a mail, hope to hear from u soon!
Lauri

dandoon_88
09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi Morpheus!
I'm Muslim and I've had Lupus Nephritis for over 3 years now. The first Ramadan after my diagnosis I was told not to fast by my doctor as the disease was in an active phase.
But since then I've been fasting Ramadan normally and taking my medicines after Iftar and by Suhoor. And al-hamdulilah I have not had any health problems.
Most important thing is to check with your doctor. And as you know, God likes having His license to not fast for someone being followed.
Good luck and Ramadan Kareem!

Morpheus
09-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi dandoon_88,
Shukran for your input, I had an appointment last week, and i asked my doc what he thought about it, and he says that he doesnt think that it would be wise for me too fast.

Nekhbet
09-26-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm sorry {{hugz}} - are you planning on celebrating?/marking it another way, or going against Drs orders?

Stay safe and well, whichever you choose.