PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia - New For Me

mnjodette
09-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I've been doing pretty well these past few months, but then began having some significant pain in my hips; then some other places too. It's worse upon awakening, then gets a bit better during the day. I don't sleep well and that doesn't help.

My last visit to the rheumatologist I told her about these pains and she did a lot of poking and prodding and asked a lot of questions. She then said it looked like fibromyalgia (FM). I know that's not an uncommon diagnosis, and lots of of you have the same diagnosis. My rheumy said not to get 'too hung up' on the diagnosis because 'it's a wastebasket term'. What the heck does that mean? Do doctors end of calling any mystery joint pain FM? I do know that there are doctors who don't think FM is a real disease. (Obviously, they've never experienced the pain!) :roll:

She gave me Flexeril to take at night, since it's now believed by some doctors that long-term sleep problems are not only a result of FM but may be a cause of it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm still hurting - my hips make me feel like I'm 100 years old in the morning - but I am sleeping and I'm hopeful that exercise (very low impact!) and rest will help me cope.

Any advice from those of you who share this diagnosis would be very welcome.

Take care, all....

Moxie
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Last year my rheumy gave me an FM diagnosis. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a label for mystery pain --- it sort of puts you into a holding pattern until something more specific emerges.

Have your hips checked out by an orthopedic surgeon. My hip pain turned out to be avascular necrosis. I wound up having both of them replaced. Guess what? No more pain. And no more sleepless nights.

mnjodette
09-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured, Moxie...just a label. A bit scary about the hip pain, though. It gets better after I'm up for a while, so I'm hoping it's nothing 'mechanical.' I will be cautious and if it seems to get worse (or no better) I'll press for better answers. Thanks, Moxie.

Jody

cheryl_v
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I have FM too. I know exactly how you feel in the morning, its why I hate to go to bed at night. Dreading that pain that comes with morning. My hips hurt and pop a lot. I have no idea why. Doc gave me a shot of cortosone and its helped a lot. It last ruffly around 3 months, I take neproxan too. The combo does help ease some, the pain is a lot easier to deal with. I'm learning that low impact exec. does help in the long run. Like everyone here keeps telling me, keep at exec. every day. Even only a little, it does help.
Hope you feel better soon. :D

Saysusie
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I think many doctors call it a "wasebasket" because (like Lupus) it's signs and symptoms are so diffuse. Many doctors do not want to believe that one disease can be so systemic. For years, the medical field refused to believe that Fibromyalgia was a real disorder; well, for years, many believed the same thing about Lupus. But, with recent studies, trials and research, it has been found that both diseases are very real with proven clinical features, they are systemic and they do cause very real symptoms. Those of us who suffer from either disease know that something in our bodies has gone haywire and we are suffering from many symptoms of a disease. I found an article written by someone who had been told that Fibromyalgia was all in their head. What that person said struck me and I am including it here: "Nobody goes to sleep one night a perfectly healthy person and wakes up the next morning with fibromyalgia. The disease can begin with small, annoying symptoms and grow, in effect, until you are suffering daily with significant pain, muscle burning, and fatigue. The disease is often a roller coaster, being mild for a time, then plunging down into a bad period of relentless suffering and sleepless nights, before easing up. Some patients are able to trace the onset of their disease to a traumatic physical event such as an auto accident. Instead of completely recovering from their injuries, the accident victims linger in pain that was not experienced prior to the accident. However, for the majority of patients, fibromyalgia symptoms are something that grew silently until they became so painful and debilitating that the patient knew something serious was wrong with their health."

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

GlassHalfFull
10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
My understanding is that there are actually consistent pain points on obscure points in the body that when touched or poked will hurt far more than the touch would elsewhere. That's how mine was diagnosed along with the various pains I was complaining about @the time.

But my rheumy has said it's difficult given the overlap in symptoms, what part of the pain came from the FM vs. the Lupus vs. Shogrens vs. the natural aging process.

mnjodette
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, I often wonder how much of my pain is just tired old joints and not really disease related. She 'tested' those points and found a number of them that were hyper-sensitive.

brandy74
10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
hi everyone sorry I've been so MIA but I've had stuff going on with not only me but my dad too.lately well about a week ago my arthritis dr. put me on oxgen at night. couse I tolk one of those teste to see how much oxgen you get durning the night.I was at 81% a couple times for at least 3 mins.now I'm haveing to go to a sleep center.

Saysusie
10-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Brandy :lol:
I hope that the sleep center will give you some answers to help you. I suppose that 83% was enough to concern your doctors. Did they say what was causing you to not take enough oxygen at night?
How is your dad? Please know that we are here for you and that you and your Dad are in my thoughts.
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie