View Full Version : what sort of doctor specialises in Lupus?

09-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Hi all,
I am new to this site and lupus. I haven't been officially diagnosed with Lupus just connective tissue disease at this stage. I live in Australia and am trying to find out what sort of medical specialist helps to monitor changes in lupus? I am 27 years old and I have joint symptoms, mouth ulcers, and at the moment pretty bad skin problems. I get a very itchy red rash on arms, legs, body which just flares up know and then without any encouragement. Have other people experienced this? It gets worse when you scratch it and covers a large surface area and turns very red. Then it disappears after 10-20 minutes.

I am on plaquenil (2 tablets a day) for the last 6 months which really helped with joint pain - but then went off it for about 6 weeks - symptoms came back straight away, and my rheumatologist noticed a heart murmur. So basically $1000 later I have had all the tests, and have a ventricular bigeminy (double heart beat) which is apparently common amongst people with lupus.

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions from others.

Deanna :D

09-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Doctors the specialize in lupus:
some nephrologist
some allurgist

There are some nice people on here, and even a few from your part of the world, my skin problems are different than what you have, so i am of no help in that area, but im sure some here can help you

09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Deanna,

I'm Maggie, 38 and have had Lupus more than half my life. I get the rash that you describe. Exposure to sunlight and some indoor lighting like unprotected florescent will cause a flair or make an existing rash worse. For myself sunscreen is completely ineffective. I stay covered with heavy denim to prevent the rash because the itching and burning is so intense that you feel like peeling your skin right off :shock: Scratching makes it more intense and spreads it. I have seen 2 derms and 2 rheums ++++ but no one seems to have a handle on what exactly it is. The only thing that helps (not completely) in alleviating the itch is 2.5% cortisone cream or higher. I have found nothing (other than demin) that prevents it. Welcome to the site.