PDA

View Full Version : hi...

kioko
08-31-2007, 05:16 PM
My name is Christine -34 years old org. from Canada but I am now living in Sweden.
About1.5 yrs ago I became very ill and after many visits to my gp he sent me to a hospital for infectious illnesses. There I got 4 spinal taps and loads of blood work, xrays and ultrasounds. I did my own reading and learning and spoke to them about what I had found out (plus Lupus runs in the family). They agreed and had already set a time w a rhymatologist. I did and felt like crap. She told me that it was all in my head and that I needed to go back to my gp and ask for some anit depression meds. I left hurt and angry. Not one to sit back I wrote letters to her supervisor and to the hospital board. She called to say sorry that I felt that way but never really said sorry that she pushed me aside. I did however tell her that if I ever feel depressed that I would go see help via a pshyc. and not a rhym.
I did ened up getting a new time w a new doctor...as it turns out it was this past week and I had 3 doctors. A long story.... the out come is this. They found that my c3 and c4's are off, something w my white blood cells, a few other things..plus the visual swelling and such. So I ened up getting an other spinal tap, more test and 'new' meds.
They told me I could no longer do weights at the gym..and that the best thing was swim and or bike.
I will get the -you have lupus- in print by Dec. Why wait I am unsure.
I am feeling very sad and unsure how to deal with it all. I have no family near me.... I have a great guy who is there and does his best but I can also see how much stress this past week has been on him.
I have not really cried yet... not woken up from it all.... if anyone has any advice... please share it with me.
Thx
Christine

Saysusie
09-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Christine :lol:
First, I want to let you know that you are not alone. Many of us, unfortunately, have been through the doctors who've told us that it is all in our heads and that we need to see a psychiatrist. Even, as you've discovered, some uneducated rheumatologists have refused to take our symptoms seriously. You've done the right thing by getting advice from another doctor and especially by learning as much as you can about Lupus, its symptoms, its medications and treatments.
With reference to exercise: It is very important that we do some form of exercise on a regular basis. However, the advice given to you was correct. We need to stay away from exercises that are jarring and/or that cause muscle fatigue (such as weightlifting). Swimming, walking, yoga, pilates and other exercises of that type are generally suggested for us. As far as weightlifting, to keep your muscles toned, you could probably use hand weights (no more than 20-25 pounds) and do more repetitions. The more repetitions that you do, the lighter the weights should be.
We are here to help you in any way that we can and to answer your questions and provide you with information. We all understand what you are going through and we will never dismiss you or tell you that it is all in your head. I am happy that you've joined us and remember....you are not alone!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie