PDA

View Full Version : SICK OF BEING FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah258
08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
:mad: I got fired friday, again. 2nd job in 2 years. MEH!!!!! this illness thing isn't what it is cracked up to be. :evil: anyone have thoughts on disability? i have applied already my pcp and rhuem doc said i should. is anyone on it? know how jump thru thier hoops???

the_librarian
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Sarah,

This is terrible!!! I didn't think it was legal to get fired for a disability...

I'm no help on getting disability, but I wish you luck. Keep us posted on your situation.

AB

Sarah258
08-22-2007, 01:45 PM
:twisted: this is Arizona- everything is legal- it's a right to work state, i don't even think i understand what that means.. but tis what "they" say. all is fair is war and work... lol... :roll:

hatlady
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Sarah, I'm so sad this has happened to you!

It may be that this is the time to pursue disability. If you had LTD with the employer call their HR NOW and see if you can apply based on the issues you had affecting your work. I don't know if it will work, it may not. But it is someplace to start.

As far as social security disability, there are others here who can help you, I'm so sorry, I don't have experience with it.

Many hugs sweetie - not all in the world are so cruel.

magistramarla
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I just told my boss (principal) about my diagnosis today. She was concerned that I don't take enough time to take care of myself. She said that she knows that I'm usually one of the first in and the last out of the school, and told me that I should cut back. She also said that she doesn't want my sweetheart of a husband mad at her if I work myself to death!
Now I have the feeling that she's going to be checking up on me to make sure that I don't overdo it, and I really don't want that!
So you see, there are some really great employers out there!
Marla

Nekhbet
08-23-2007, 03:10 AM
I don't know Marla. Many of them you have to earn their respect before they will do that. If I just walk into a new job and start taking time off sick they will not think much of me and I would be gone pretty quick.

I think in most cases you need to be indispensible to them- otherwise they think of you as a drain on company resourses. Like the old saying- work twice as hard for half as much. Then you may be considered to be ok.

I'm really sorry Sarah. I wish you luck on either disability or a fantastic new job.
I too have been thinking of what jobs I can do as a stay at home wife- but most that I like, I need additional qualifications.

Missy
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I work for a non-profit, so of course, I don't make millions, but work with great people that have been really understanding.

I hadn't planned on saying anything in my interview about me having Lupus, but it just sort of came out when they offered me a full-time job and I only wanted part-time (there were two part time jobs open at the time that the previous person had been doing as fulltime). Anyway, I hadn't worked for a year before this interview and wasn't sure if they'd ask about that or what.

There is hope for good employers out there. Wish we could give them awards and the bad ones......well, something else.

Sarah258
08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
:puppydogeyes: Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking for a job only since this weekend only heard from one employer and i told her i had lupus, she said she would call me back... that was tuesday. so i don't think this is going to be easy. :oops: anyone have 3 grand layin around let me know... lol. oh man, I am feeling awful this week. my hands and feet are killing me and my stomach hurts ALL the time..., been trying to walk and diet.. not so easy. i miss normality. :cry:

hatlady
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I'll put my HR hat on right now, Sarah, to try to give you some tips on the job hunt.

I wouldn't disclose lupus or any other condition at the first interview. If and only if I needed accommodations of some sort, I'd bring that up when the job was offered. Only then, after the offer is made.

Many employers will give you the job description during the interview and ask "can you do the job?" it should correctly be phrased "can you do the essential functions of the job with or without accommodaiton?" Be honest - if the job calls for lifting 90 lb bags of cement, say no. (Well, I would have to, anyway!)

As an example of disabilities and the hiring process, we recently hired someone with a visual disability. She didn't say anything, I thogut there was something "different" about her eyes when we interviewed, but didn't worry about it. Her first day, she came to my office, upset and a little embarrassed. We'd given her a laptop - she'd asked for that rather than a PC as at her former employer (also a school) the laptops came with docking stations and HUGE monitors. Ours come with...a carrying case.

I immediately got on the phone and got her switched out to a PC - wth a large enough monitor. We're now tracking to make sure she's got what she needs to be successful. She wants to be treated "like everyone else" and not let others know she has an issue with her vision. We'll do what we can to help her AND keep it as confidential as possible.

Had she disclosed the issue at interview - WITH US it would not have made a difference. But I can't say that every employer is as understanding about conditions they may have no experience with. Lupus is something that most people don't understand.

Most employers will so what they can to be sure their new hire is successful on the job. Go to them with the information I've posted elsewhere about rhw Jobs Accommodation Network after you've been hired. Let them know that you're very excited about the job and will work your hardest. That there will be some times when you'll need a bit of help to be successful.

Hugs, sweetie, something WILL come along for you. And there will be an employer who will be thrilled to have you and all you can offer them.

kimmy31
08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
This is terrible. I know when I was working my attendance was terrible. I actually was palced on written warning. Then my boss helped me apply for the Family Medical Leave. You can go to the HR dept. and they can help you apply.
As far as diablility is concerned. I do recive it. I had to fight a little though. I was denied and had to get a lawyer, but after two years I finally recieved it. Depeding on your work history you may qualify for social security deisablity or suppliment. You can go to SSA.gov and read up on it and also apply. You local office should be able to help also. The hardest part is waiting for the income. My husband lost his business becasue I could no longer finacially back it. He was forced to get a real job for health benefits. I was the one who carried all that.
Good luck!

browneyedgirl53
09-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Sarah,

I know this is a frustrating time for you, and we all can understand your feeling of desperation. Please hang in there and hold on to hope. Hatlady gave you some very good advice as well as others.

Living with lupus is not for sissy's and I don't think there is a way to live with this disease graciously. It flares at a moments notice and can last for days, weeks and/or months. I agree with Hatlady, that telling someone up front that you have lupus, can only hurt your chances of getting through to being accepted for a job. It is a difficult struggle, isn't it? You are being honest, and as others have said....so many people don't have a clue about lupus and how to deal with it...afterall, look at all of us - we're got by surprise and have questions all the time and we live with it everyday!!

I agree that if your doctor supports your going on disability, then by all means do so. I would also see if there is an organization in your area called "Women in Need". It's an organization that helps women with resources to help them in all kinds of circumstances. While you are looking for a job, deciding what to do about disability; make sure that you take each day and save a few minutes to meditate and concentrate on you, take good care of you, first and foremost.

You will be in my prayers, and please keep us posted.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

GrammaKathy
09-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I am getting SSDI, but not for Lupus. I am waiting for a diagnosis of Lupus, RA or both. :(

My sister has Lupus (SLE) and just qualified this in August. One of the really important things about qualifying is the mental aspects that it causes. The Lupus fog or brain. The memory problems, the depression, the anxiety, etc. This is what qualified my sister. If you go to a therapist at all, tell them. If you are depressed, anxious, etc, TELL them. It's VERY important to tell them the mental angish this stinkin disease causes.

I can't post a link per the newbie rules, but here is the SSA blue book. This gives a really good explanation of what it takes to qualify with an AI disease.

Add the www then socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm

Hope that helps ya!!!

Kathy

GrammaKathy
09-03-2007, 04:57 PM
here is some FMLA info for you:

www THEN hr. state . az . us/Employeerelations/familyleave . htm

PS: I cant post links, take out the extra spaces.

PinkButterfly
09-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I've just started job # 5 for this year, ugggh... :cry: I just don't think I'm going to be able to be a floor nurse for much longer. I'm trying to figure out where I need to go from here.

Y'all are great, btw! I wish I had more time to go through these threads and learn from you all.

Susan :B-fly: