PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone???

ErinBonnie
08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Im wondering if anyone out there has suffered from a herniated disc??? my mom is going through PT to see if they can fix it since surgery is kinda risky for her. One of the excersizes they had her do was connect a strap to her head and at the end of the rope connected to the strap was a weight they threw this weight over the door and made her stand with her back to the door on one side and the weight hanging over the door on the other. This excersize was extremely painful for her and I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this condition and had anything similar happen to them???

hatlady
08-20-2007, 07:50 AM
YEOUCH!

I've had a bad neck from time to time, butnothing herniated. I once had a PT setup that had a strap around my chin and head, attached to a machine that repeatedly pulled me - felt about 1/2 inch taller at the end of the session. I was laying down though... What your Mom had done sounds similar. For me it was very helpful.

Best wishes - I hope she feels better quickly!

Oluwa
08-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi ErinBonnie,

I've had three herniations. I went to a gazillion and one physical therapy sessions before surgery to prevent surgery. Well, had three surgeries and then went to another gazillion and two therapy sessions and I have to say.... I have never heard of such an exercise.

Me...Disk affected:
C5-C6 Anterior Disckectomy Spinal Infusion (ADSF) with hardware. Meaning the neurosurgeon entered through the front of my neck, pushed my windpipe, vocal cords, voice box and etc to the far left removed my disk, inserted cadaver bone, attached a titanium bracket to two vertebras with four screws. And closed me up with a gob of glue. Okay, resin.

Two Posterior micro diskectomies, L5-S1. Posterior means entering through the back. It herniated twice. On the second surgery it self fused..no donor bone required.

Was this a back alley therapy clinic. Just joking..but yikes. I don't want to scare you or your Mum, but holy cow. My experience on herniated disk is...I have a lot. I would seek another therapy clinic. There are many, many out there.

Actually, I think that clinic your Mum went to tried to improvise on a machine like the Hatlady mentioned. It is used to decompress a disk...name forgotten.

Simple terms...If a disk is herniated that means it is torn and the jelly type gunk that is inside that crusty shell is oozing out. Either the body has to absorb it or it has to be removed. Excercise should be light, but used to strength muscles. Exercises should be used to relief any nerve that is being pinched. Exercise will not dissolve the jelly like matter. It will either resolve on its own or not.

Is her nerve being compromised?
Is her limb being affected?
Numbness?
Weakness?
Spasms?
Pain anywhere and where?
Was it an on the job injury? Why I ask, that can very well affect what type of care your Mom will get...
Has she tried cortisone shots?
Tingling?
Back reflex?
What disk is affected?

Ask away and I will be more than happy to answer and if I don't know, I will research it for you...Your Mum will be okay...

Tell your Mom, walking is always good even if it just to the mail box..

Hoping wellness finds you and yours,
Oluwa

magistramarla
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
My hubby had laproscopic surgery for a herniated disc several years ago. It was minimally invasive, a one-day surgery, and he came home that evening. Late that night, he reached over to lift the toilet seat and popped it out again, so he had the same surgery again a week later, but all was fine and he has recovered totally. He can run, exercise and passes his Air Force physical every year. I wonder if this kind of surgery might be possible for your mom?
Marla