PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get dry patches on your face?

buddhabelly
08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
:?: Ever since the summer, Ive gotten dry patches of skin on my face, especially on my butterfly rash. Is that normal? I use a face lotion with SPF 15, with protection against uva-uvb, I use it daily. Just wondering why it dries up like that Hmmm.... :?:

Saysusie
08-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Some Lupus sufferers have developed scleroderma (another auto-immune disorder) which causes their skin to become very dry and sometimes thick. I have heard some say that their scleroderma occurred where their lesions were and caused very dry skin in those areas. Collagen creams have been said to be helpful.
Perhaps someone else will have better information for you. I hope that you are able to find some relief.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

buddhabelly
08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
My butterfly rash runs across my cheeks and the bridge of my nose. But, I have a noticeable red circular rash patch on my left cheek, which gets dry. Also, the skin sometimes peels in that area like a sunburn. What kind of cream or lotion should I use? Does anyone have this same problem? I need your help. :( Im becoming very self-conscious. My makeup seems to help coverup the butterfly rash, but, that circle rash on my cheek is hard to coverup at times especially when it becomes dry and starts to peel. :(

cheryl_v
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I get dry patches on my face at times, flakey and slightly raised. I use a facial night cream, not lotion. I put it on every morning and night. Works good, as long as I don't forget to put it on even once. It comes back fast if I skip. I use Oil of Olay makeup, so it protects and moisterizes and helps my skin while I'm wearing makeup. If you're wearing it, might as well wear something that helps instead of damaging the skin. Hoped this helped. :D

hatlady
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
I had problems for a while...was sent to a dermatologist and found it was rosacea!

If you have access, talk to a dermatologist - it could be the lupus, it could be scleroderma, it could be rosacea, and who knows, it could be something else.

My skin is OK for now - took about a year of 3 creams a day to get it back under control.....

buddhabelly
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I also use night cream each night after I wash my face. The dry patch on my cheek gets smoother and softer using the night cream, better than the lotion I use during the day. I would use the cream during the day but it does not have spf. 8)

cheryl_v
08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Maybe put cream on in morning and lotion with spf on top? That way you could use it more often, maybe? My makeup has spf in it, so I guess that would be doing the same thing. :D

buddhabelly
08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I experimented and put the nightcream on first then the day lotion with the spf on over it. The dry patch wasnt as dry today as before. My makeup also has some spf in it. Ill keep using this combination and see if its better for me. Thanks for the help! :wink:

Missy
08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
I used to get this on my temples when I was taking lots of meds. I haven't had it in over two years now. It was round and scaly. I'm using some really expensive Clinique night cream "repairwear." It seemed too expensive, but it has really made a difference and I barely have to use any at all. It has lasted me a really long time.

Good luck!

buddhabelly
09-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Yes, its round and scaly and when its hot or if Im in the sun too much, it gets red. When it gets dry and scaly, it makes me more difficult for me to cover it up with makeup. So I try to moisturize it before, but, just cant find the right cream to use. When it gets scaly and dry with the makeup, it looks awful. :oops: Not much into wearing too much makeup, but, it this case, I need to use some coverup. So, does this Clinque cream really help u? Its worth the try, plus, I wont need to use much, cuz its only in one spot on my cheek. Hmmm.... :?

Missy
09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Yes - I think the Clinique repairwear really did the trick for me. I think it's technically for reducing lines, but I told the lady what was going on with me (it would even start getting scaly around my eyes and felt tight and painful) and she recommended the repairwear. I got the eye cream and the night cream and the eye cream helped the very first night. Now, I don't even use it all the time and I only ever used it at night when I did. I wonder if they would give you a sample, so you don't have to try the whole thing for the $$$. But, they are good at returns if you aren't satisfies. I bought it at Macy's, but they have Clinique at Nordstroms, too.

Good luck!

Oluwa
09-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I do have malar rash and have had the fish scales, the dry croissant flakes and redness like a raspberry stain. Since using Plaquenil mine greatly has diminished, light pink and a bump her and there. But when stress it tries to surface.

During the course when it would flash and flare I avoided all products with dimethicone, and any form of the word and also aluminum...they aggravate it. (It worked prior to Plaquenil too.) I also use and still do use a facial cleanser called Purpose by Johnson and Johnson, plain pump bottle and Deep Clean Gentle Scrub by Neutrogena. My moisturer is by L'oreal Active Daily Moisture SPV 15 UVA/UVB.

What I have found you can't lube your rash, but to find the causing irritants, avoid and to bring the the skin to a balance.

I spend hundreds of dollars finding out the irritants from finer department store products to Target... and it does work for me. They all had the common ingredients...some form of dimethicome and aluminum regardless if it was a 100.00 bottle or a 5 dollar bottle. It is in almost everything, shampo, conditioner, makeup, foundation, hairspray.

Shampoos, conditioner, hairspray made my scalp itch and/or burn...even bars of soap like Dove and etc. I have a body regime too.

Anything else about cosmetics, hairspray, deodorants and etc...ask...I disected every ingredient. Now I have to find a pain pill that doesn't cause this invisible itch..but I chase that with Chlor-trimeton, allergy medicine OTC.

Once I found those two products above and its cronies...my skin loved me. I loved my skin. Remember it tames the beast.. it doesn't totally get rid of it...

Also, if you wear eye glasses made of metal..that maybe the culprit too. Especially if it is on the cheek tops, sides of nose and at temples. I am also allergic to metal. I wear all plastic eye wear now.

Here's to baby soft cheeks...
Oluwa

I had this in a file. I don't recalled the source...

You are what you spread

Alpha Hydroxy Acids: Group of acids that appear naturally in fruit. Used in toners, creams, and masks to exfoliate and moisturise the skin. Can be a skin irritant causing redness and rashes.

Bronopol: Toxic alcohol used in fabric softeners and detergents. It is also used in face creams, shampoos, hair dressings, mascara, and bath oils. It is a white crystalline powder that can cause skin irritation at concentrations of 0.25 per cent.

Dimethicone: Gives a smooth feel to a cosmetic cream or lotion. Various allergic reactions and internal problems make them questionable as cosmetic ingredients. Although they’re still widely used, they should be avoided. Many herbal oils, such as vegetable glycerine, can easily replace this chemical.

Extracted from the edible seeds of the desert shrub Simondsia californica. Used as a lubricant and hair conditioner. Often used in shampoos, moisturisers, and sunscreens. May cause allergic reactions.

Mica: Ashiny silicate minerals split into very thin sheets. Used in eye cosmetics to provide sparkle.

Non-comedogenic -Does not clog oil glands that may lead to blemishes.

Para-aminobenzoic Acid (PABA): Found in Vitamin B complex. Used in sunscreen formulations and as an anaesthetic in sunburn products. Can cause allergic reactions.

Parabens: Toxic. Allergenic. Artificial chemicals. Used to preserve cosmetics. They are not effective with shampoos or with products that contain proteins.

Retinoids/Retinol: A series of compounds derived from Vitamin A. These compounds are found in skin and aid in its normal functioning. Irritant.

Sodium Bisulphite: Artificial chemical that is used as a hair “relaxer” and a preservative.

Stearalkonium Chloride: Used almost universally in hair conditioners. It was originally developed by the textile industry for use as a fabric softener. It also has antistatic properties.

TEA-Lauryl Sulfate: Very popular shampoo ingredient. Used as synthetic detergent. A combination of triethanolamine and the salt of lauryl sulphuric acid.

Triclosan: An antibacterial agent used in deodorant and deodorant soaps. Absorption through skin may cause liver damage.

Missy
09-03-2007, 08:29 PM
At the time when I was having my worst rashes, I also looked a lot into ingredients in my face products. I switched all of them, just like Oluwa said......no parabens, aluminums, silica, etc. However, my temple rash persisted, and I eventually went back to the department store and tried this Cliniques stuff that worked for me. I personally don't think there is one thing that will work for everyone, but the great thing about sharing information here, is that maybe it can make the search for options a little easier.

I still use Avalon Organics face wash and toner that seem to work the best for me and have no chemicals, parabens, etc (they follow EU standards).

buddhabelly
09-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you for being there, reassuring me that Im not alone with this annoying rash. :) I wanted to avoid a trip to a dermatologist, didnt want to add another name to my doctor list. Ill monitor my facial cleansers, creams, and lotions, which ones may be causing the irritition, redness, and dryness. Ive been using a gentle cleanser called Cetaphil. Im still using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF15 and Neutrogena Light Night Cream in combination. Just want the redness, raised, and dryness to go away. Im trying my hardest to not stay in the sun too long because I know for a fact that's another cause for the redness. 8)

My lupus symptoms and my kidney nephritis have been getting better thanks to my wonder drugs :wink: But the one symptom that still needs to be helped is my malar rash. :oops:

Missy
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I had my most skin problems when my nephritis was most active, too. I guess they say when it rains, it pours. I still have odd things with my skin, but it really has gotten better as my kidneys got better.

And going to the dermatologist is such a pain! First, it takes 3 months just to get an appt (at least here it does!). Then, it always happens that right before your appt, the rashes miraculously disappear! It's amazing.

buddhabelly
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
No, you're right. It does take long to get a dermatologist apt, like you said sometimes months, even though you tell them that you need to be seen ASAP. Why bother waiting, because by the time you make it to your scheduled apt. the rash gets better. So annoying. :roll: Just hoping that as soon as summer ends, the rash will get better. Because the heat and sun does play a huge factor to the ugly rash. Of all places, why the face, where everyone sees it. NOT FAIR! :bad-words:

buddhabelly
09-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Just an update... I talked to my rheumie today and he suggested I see a dermatologist. I thought he'd put me back on a small dose of prednisone, but, he wants me to get checked out by a dermatologist first. Thank goodness he gave me a dermatologist who he knows and refers to his lupus patients to. At least I know he'll recognize the rash and hopefully help me out. :( I just hope I get an appointment ASAP. My rheumie said to tell them that he referred me to them and that I needed to be seen ASAP. Hope that helps! Keep your fingers crossed for me. :angel:

Missy
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm crossing fingers as I type (ok - not exactly)!

I hope you get a quick appointment and they give you some magic cream to clear everything up!

:lol:

buddhabelly
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
:D Good news! I called for an appt and got scheduled for next tuesday. I was excited because I thought it would take a while to get an appt. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me. :wink:

Missy
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Wow, that's called a miracle where I live! A derm appointment in a week! My fingers crossing must work wonders........hope it goes well!

buddhabelly
09-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Just another update... Went to my dermatologist appt today. He was very informative. He actually sat down and talked to me, I was expecting a super quick visit. He prescribed me some cream to use for 2 weeks. He said it should help out a lot. Then he gave me another prescription for another cream afterwards. I'm going back for a check-up in a month.

He suspects the flaring up of the rash may be due to the weaning off the prednisone. He said to try the creams out first and then see what will be next to do if else fails. Hope the creams work! :wink: