PDA

View Full Version : Out of breath, chest tightness

Suzanne960
07-26-2007, 08:36 AM
What could this be? I'm out of breath just walking around the house; there's tightness in my chest; I'm nauseous and have had a headache for almost a week. I go for a followup next week with my rheumie. Two months of methotrexate--up to 20 mg now--hasn't helped at all. I'm taking 100 mg of Tramadol every day now, and even that doesn't work as well as it used to. I've been in a flare since February.

Oluwa
07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Suzanne,

I hope your flare settles down soon.

I have the same exact symptoms. When I mentioned it to my rheumatogolist I felt like he sent me a blank stare with it isn't a symptom of Lupus.

Do you think it is anxiety? Or I was thinking I have put on some weight, wondering my heart isn't really use to toting around an extra 25 pounds. But then again it happens when I am sitting.

High blood pressure? Usually mine is 110/60 give or take a few. This last appointment it was 140/78 and I have never had it that high, but my doctor didn't seemed worried when I had mention that either.

I've never taken methotrexate, but I do Ultracet aka Tramadol.

Today my headache and nausea are getting huge as the night progresses. Maybe it is my new prescription Requib and/or my artificial saliva spray...humm.

When you find out let me know. Mine next appointment isn't tell September...every two months.

Here's hoping we feel better in the next light.

Be well Suzanne,
Oluwa

Saysusie
07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
You could either be experiencing a problem with your lungs (such as pulmonary hypertenstion) or your heart. There are several way that lupus can affect both organs! Whichever it is, it is important that you request your doctor to test for both to make sure that they are functioning properly and to start you on treatment immediately, in the event that one or both are not functioning properly.
Please let us know what you doctor diagnoses!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Bonnie B
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I had the exact same symptom and wound up in the critical care unit of my local hospital with a severe pulmonary embolism. I would take any type of chest pain or shortnesss of breath very seriously. I was walking around with a bomb in my chest ready to explode for a month because I was told that it was not a side effect of lupus. I was actually starting to think that I was some sort of hypochondriac. Have you been checked for excessive fluid build up around your heart or lungs? Both of these are complications from Lupus that I suffer from that cause pressure/pain in my chest and when I am in a flair even cause abdominal pain. Don't take this symptom lightly, have it checked out!
Bonnie B

Missy
08-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree with Bonnie - especially because there are many things that chest pain could be realted to, both Lupus-related and non-Lupus-related. Pleurisy is something that a lot of people with Lupus deal with, as well. It's definitely worth a call to your doctor, maybe your internist, if the Rheumy seems stumped. I know it's never fun to go to the ER or Urgent Care, but if you are worried, I think it's better to be safe and go.

Suzanne960
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I got it checked out. He said I have a neuralgia in the chest wall. It's nice when a problem is minor.

Saysusie
08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I am glad to hear that the problem was a minor one!

Take Care Of Yourself!
Saysusie

Missy
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Oooh - I've never heard of neuralgia, but I'm glad it was not something to be too concerned about! Yippeee! (we have to celebrate these little victories, don't we?)

Oluwa
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I should have check back with this post back in July when I last posted. Lupus made me forget.

But anyway, walking around with this tightness and pain since July's end till now, September's end..good heavens. Even took to the bed for days. I felt I was ready to toss in the towel because of it...so depressed from the gnawing intense pain with each breath and movement.

I had mentioned this to my doctor in July as I posted before...and this time instead of the blank stare he prescribed a NSAID and Protonix for the GERD. Pleurisy he cited and if it the pain and tightness didn't lessen by this weekend I was to come back on Monday. And he would prescribe steriods again...

I am a bit upset at him, okay a lot and at myself for carrying that pain for over two months. My mind doubted my heart. I wish I had trusted by instinct. I knew better and didn't take my own advice..g-r-r-r-r-rrr.

It feels like someone is crushing my rib cage or something is causing pressure from the inside. Stiff neck, headaches, shortness of breath, hurts to breath so I have been breathing shallow, chills, eat a morsel and I feel fuller than full, painful, extreme spine and upper back...just like where a hoodie sweatshirt would wear hood and all. I was just thinking, oh it is another ache from Lupus that would resolve on its own and I had to tolerate it because of his blank stare.

It is funny, in a odd way how we get used to something, even when we know it is wrong, painful and etc.

Not even six Ultracet would take the pain away. He explained why..it is inflammation. D'oh. Unflame it. Poof.

Now I lost what faith I had in his diagnosis. I was looking for another Rheumatologist last month but it was a three month wait. Maybe I ought to check into it again. Wondering if it is some other Lupus gunk than pleurisy.

Sigh...ugh,
Oluwa

morning star
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH SHORTNESS OF BREATH SINCE MARCH 07 AND HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE, I SAW A PULMONOLOGIST WHO STATED I HAD ASTHMA GAVE ME ASMANEX, THEN IT GOT WORSE SO HE GAVE ME PREDNISONE AND NOW I'M ON ADVAIR 500/50 BUT HERE'S THE CATCH I'M STILL SHORT OF BREATH. SO I'VE NOW SEEN A CARDIOLOGIST AND HE SAID IT MIGHT BE PULMONARY HYPERTENSION OR A VALVE DISORDER OR MAYBE A BLOOD CLOT. HE'S ORDERED A SERIES OF TESTS. HE WAS KINDA UPSET THAT MY PULMON. HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING BUT LISTEN TO MY CHEST. HE SAID MY LUNGS SOUND CLEAR AND I SAID THATS WHAT EVERYONE SAYS WHEN THEY LISTEN TO MY CHEST SO HOW COME I STILL CAN'T BREATHE!!! ANYONE HAD SIMILAR PROB'S?

misslisa1017
09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes! I have had similar problems too. I've had all types of testing done. A test where they make you inhale this radioactive crap and they take pictures of your lungs, countless ct scans of my chest.

Tests to see if I have pulmonary hypertension.

Tests to see if I had problems with my heart.

Lung xrays

mediastinoscopy, where they put an incision in your neck, and go in and take a biopsy of your lungs and lymph tissues, because mine were all enlarged for a long long time, the pain and tightness in my chest was unreal.

I feel for you. I really do. I know what you are going through. Each day I wonder how my breathing is going to be. Or how the swelling in my legs will be.

Right now I'm on cellcept, prednisone 10 mg. I dont' think I'm going to go lower for awhile yet, and plaquenil. I'm not dx'd with lupus, but with Undifferentiated connective tissue disease.

I also take medicine for high blood pressure and GERD and have been dx'd with COPD. Levalbuterol in a nebulizer when needed and maintanance med is azmacort which I swear doesn't work for crap and albuterol inhaler.

When does it end, and why the heck is our chest hurting? Why can't anyone give us an answer?

All any one could discover was that I had enlarged lymph nodes, scarring in lungs and some fluid around my heart. I hate this. I hate not knowing. I feel so helpless and so sick most of the time.