PDA

View Full Version : Headaches...Anyone?

also_ran
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Seems like everywhere I turn around there is another article about why it is a good idea to switch to flourescent lighting...and we all know how the sun affects us. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get killer headaches, not only from the sun, but the lights as well. :mad:

A couple weekends ago, I went to my cousins wedding, stayed at the reception for 3 hrs (under flourescent lights) and spent the next 3 days in bed. I was so sick I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. Imagine what I have to go thru every week after attending my 4 hr long classes at college. I just don't know what to do anymore. It seems I've tried every drug known to man and various alternative therapies.

I'm open to suggestions...anyone have any tricks?

cheryl_v
07-18-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm so sorry about your ordeal, that has to be ruff. I get headaches to from the sun and bright lights too. Sunglasses help, even if it looks silly indoors. Even the mild tentings help. I used to worry what others thought of wearing them indoors, until I got enough headaches from not wearing them to not care anymore. Tell your doc, see if he can give a note to carry allowing you to wear light shaded glasses in class. I have a friend who wears those colored tinted ones, sometimes those yellow tints for driving, she says they take the edge off the glare. I haven't used them, so I'm not sure. Tried, just couldn't get used to everything with colored tints. In my home I have florecent bulbs, you can get ones equal to 40 watts. They're not as harsh on the eyes as the regular bulbs. My windows have thick pull down shades to block bright sun light. It helps alot, Also have dark colored curtains. I only turn on lights as needed to cut the brightness down on my home.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you, but its what I do. Take care of your eyes, those headaches are a doozy. Please take care. :D

also_ran
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
I do wear sunglasses indoors. Some days the lights bother me so much, like if I was watching tv..in the dark...at night..I STILL wear sunglasses. Even when I go to see the doctor I sit in the dark.

I think part of the problem is the different medication I'm on. Of course the lights and sun would bother me, but at least 3 different bottles say the medication will make you more sensitive to them. :(

cheryl_v
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I truely am sorry, you seem to have it so rough. I know this sounds like it would be worse, but at night when at comp. or tv, turn low lamp on. It really does help. TV puts out a strobe light that can damage eyes, a low light decreases the strobe effect.

I see you have meds that may cause this problem, but I just want to share what caused mine just in case it helps. I suffered alot for a long time with the lights, finally went to an eye doc. The headaches were to intense to move, even got worse than my migranes. Turns out I had over-worked eyes. You still see clearly, your eyes have to work 2x as hard to keep it that way. Then they become more sensitive to things because they're stressed out. I didn't really need glasses, but something had to be done. He wrote a script for reading glasses, lowest kind they make. I was to wear them when reading, at computer, or watching tv. He's the one that told me of the lamp to have on. They also have glare free lenses. The headaches are less frequent, and it takes longer for the lights to bother my eyes. If you already wear glasses, get an exam again.

I hope I've helped you in some way. Headaches are horrible and I hate to see people suffer from them. :(

hatlady
07-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I've found that I can't use the "energy efficient" flourescent in the lamp next to the chair I sit in at night. If it is across the room at home, it is OK. At work, I'm very lucky - BIG windows, so I get enough light that I can leave most of the overheads off. They face north - so I get no direct sunlight there. Yes, very lucky.

Hadn't thought of the lense tinting, but I do have the UV screen on my glasses - I think it is called a tint even though it ads no color. I think it helps as well.

Again, hats help me when I'm outside. A large wide brim pulled low, so I rarely see the sky and the sun is nowhere near my eyes or face. Inside - well, I haven't tried the hat yet...but....hmmm.... 8) In the car, if the hat doesn't work, I use a sun-impervious scarf worn rather like a Muslim woman wears her hijab - but loose around my face so I'm shaded.

I didn't know that about the TV and the strobe effect, but it makes sense - so thanks for that note!

also_ran
07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
When I go out to work in my garden I quite often have a wide brimmed hat on, and also a bandana covering the lower half of my face so I can breathe easier. I think I look like one of those old western bank robbers (especially with my gardening gloves)!

:P

IloveHistory
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi!

I suffer from really severe headaches and migraines, as well as Trigeminal Neuralgia. :( I suffer from bad Photophobia too and wear sunglasses a lot.

That's very interesting about over-working one's eyes, Cheryl_v; thanks for that! :) My mother was actually saying today that I must see the Ophthalmologist soon. My Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist (I am almost seventeen years old) referred me to one a little while ago, but now my medical aid has run out and the Ophthalmologist is pretty expensive... :(

I sincerely hope that everyone manages to find a solution to their headaches and Photophobia!

Keep well! :)

cheryl_v
07-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I forgot to mention the glasses have relaxed the eyes to keep them from over-stressing. Its a mild script that some don't even want to bother to make at eye-glass places. If you need this done, push them to do it. Its worth the effort. I'm glad to be of help. One mans junk, is another mans treasure, so true in knowledge as well. Boy do I have junk in my head, lol. :lol: Sorry, funny moment. :D

IloveHistory
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi!

Thanks SO much, Cheryl_v! :D

Keep well! :)

cheryl_v
08-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Always welcome, love to be of any help. Have had all kinds of headaches.

Barbara Jean
08-06-2007, 05:16 AM
I get headaches from fluorescent lights and bright mid-day sun. I stay away from both, and it helps. Every type of fluorescent light makes me weak and ill. I don't they are not good for people with lupus!

mnjodette
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I just had the fluorescent tubes taken out of the light above my new workstation at work. I have natural light (north side of building, so no direct sun) so I don't need the fluorescents.

My son is a fly fisherman and he has sun glasses in lots of colors to shield his eyes in different kinds of light - they aren't cheap, but they might be worth it.

Nekhbet
08-08-2007, 03:57 AM
I have heard that fluoro lights can make *some* people with lupus flare. Maybe that is what is happening with you.

There is occasional talk here (Australia) about getting rid of incandescent light bulbs alltogether :shock: - I *think* I am fine (not 100% sure as have had some probs and it is early days) but imagine those poor people who can't handle them.....

Nee
08-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I get a flare from fluorescent lights. Rash, fever, aches, the whole nine yards. In "The Lupus Book," Dr. Wallace mentions that a small percentage of lupus patients who are sun sensitive are also sensitive to the UV in fluorescents. That's me -- sounds like it might be you, too. At work, I got a note from my doc and they put plastic shields over the lights for my office. Those are cheap and can be found at Home Depot, etc, and really made a difference. (I now telecommute, and of course that's even better. :) ) I don't have any fluorescent lights in my home, except my porch lights.

icegurl121691
08-20-2007, 06:04 AM
omg i get really bad headaches from the sun and the lights also one time i woke up around 6am and my head was hurting cause it was just starting 2 get light out i havent officially diagnoised yet and i have no idea how 2 stop the pain over the counter pain killers dont work and i have 2 be outside