PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Kalawalla??

Lula2ya
07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has heard of Kalawalla or tried it? I don't know much about it and wondering if it was another 'snake oil'. Thanks for your help.

Saysusie
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Kalawalla and Rapuani are brand names for food supplements derived from the plant polypodium leucotomos, a fern native to Honduras. Kalawalla and Rapuani are food supplements, they are not intended or recommended as treatments for any condition.
The polypodium leucotomos extract is understood to regulate the immune system and restore it to a healthy, strong, balanced position. A number of MS sufferers have reported improvements after taking this supplement. The ancient Mayans used Polypodium leucotomos as part of their daily diet in the form of tea as a blood purifier. They attributed healing properties to the drink and up until today, the drink is still popular in Honduran tradition. Europeans have used Polypodium leucotomos extract for over 10 years as part of an overall health program to maintain their immune system at its strongest.
It is felt, by some (with no objective clinical trials to prove it) that since it can modulate the immune system, it could be helpful in other autoimmune diseases and that it could be beneficial for skin inflammation in lupus as well.
The manufacturers of Kalawalla are the ones who have done the clinical trials (hence, no objective clinical trials). The manufacturer claims to have done many clinical trials with MS, Lupus, Psoriasis, Vitiligo and other auto immune disorders, and state that Kalawalla has shown a high degree of success and very few side effects. Kalawalla has an OTC status in the European Union, which means that medical doctors prescribe Kalawalla for these disorders. There is a claim that a trial study was done at Harvard Medical School detailing how Kalawalla modulates the T cells and its usefulness in auto aggressive / inflammatory conditions. I could not find that trial study.
Again, this is a food supplement derived from a plant and is not a treatment. Make sure that you talk to your doctor about it, do thorough research and try to find some objective clinical trial studies.

Best Of Luck
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Lula2ya
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Thank you.. I appreciate all the info you gave. I'll ask my doctor what he thinks. He is usually against such things. I'm very careful and not one who jumps into trying something quickly. I'm a huge chicken because I've been sick WAY too many times. Blessings

Saysusie
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
You are most welcome :lol:

Saysusie