PDA

View Full Version : Help Around the House?

the_librarian
07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
So, Marla mentioned that she used to have a housekeeper and I've been wondering about this for a while. My husband suggests that we give it a try, but I get freaked out every time I think about it. Have you tried this? Does it work? What do you have them do with miscellaneous stuff around the house? What exactly do they do (sounds obvious, but do they do real "Spring Cleaning" like moving everything on your shelves and giving them a good once over? Is this extra?) Do they wash clothes? Take stuff to the cleaners? I feel like so silly asking all of this, but honestly, I'm afraid they'd come into my house and think, "These people live like pigs!" (Not that we actually do, but I have a serious neuroses when it comes to this)

Thanks for your help!!

Lula2ya
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a full time live in? If so they do ALL that stuff. You can also have one come once a week or every other week or once a month. They usually do all the deep cleaning like scrub baths, dust, mop, vacuum. I've had a couple some of them will change the sheets some won't. None that I know of do laundry. Some will dust the blinds some won't. It all depends on what services they offer and also what they charge. A good housekeeper or cleaning lady will clean from top to bottom the first time and keep it up very well every time. Cobwebs, ceiling fans, dust blinds etc... It is a treat I loved having one I just let mine go because I got to feeling better and noticed I could clean better than she. I'm going to hire another one in the near future not because I feel bad again but because now I'm SPOILED!!!!! By the way who cares what they think you are paying them to clean. I understand though because it's weird at first having someone else clean up your toilet...LOL I hope you find one, believe me you'll love it.

hatlady
07-07-2007, 08:05 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. We have someone come in every other week, she spends a couple hours - doing the floors (all wood or tile), bathrooms, kitchen, dusting, and she even sweeps her way out the garage! Occassionally I"ll have some more major things for her to help with and will pay her extra.

We tried one of the services that send in a whole crew - did NOT like it. I know those women are underpaid - usually minimum wage - and have to scramble so to just break even. We finally found someone through a friend - and have since recommended her to other friends. She works on her own, if she's going to be away she arranges for her sister-in-law to work that week. That is SO much better - we've developed a trust and a friendship with her, we know her and have met her kids. Also, we know who's getting the money, ALL of the money, and that she can make a living. Funny thing - she costs less than the services do!

I wouldn't go without someone helping with the cleaning - it is worth every penny!

magistramarla
07-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I answered this on the other thread, but I second what the others have said in this one. I also found my housekeeper through friends. For a while, she was working for nearly everyone who was a member of the Kelly Officers' Wives' Club Gourmet Group, and we all loved her dearly. She would even come and help to cook and serve when one of us hosted a luncheon! This is the sort of person that you should be looking for!
Marla

SonyaLA
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
AB,

I have someone come in every other week to do the heavy cleaning. It's weird to have strangers in your house, but depending on your locale, you could find a bonded chain, or get a reference from a family friend. I've gone both ways in the past. Right now I use "Merry Maids" and they do a really good job. I decided that with my energy limited, something had to go... housework is not where I want to spend my time on the weekends. I'm still trying to work, so this is a must! The funny thing that happens to me, is that I hurry around the night before they are do, straightening up things because I don't want them to think we are slobs. I'm considering weekly since my health isn't the greatest. Priorities... I want my energy to go to my kids and husband... not the toilet or floors.

Sonya :wink:

the_librarian
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for responding so promptly. My husband and I are definitely trying to find someone. We, like many of you have suggested, are looking for someone other than the main chains.

Sonya - I think I will do the same thing, running around straightening up the night before, but I hope I will eventually get over this.

I was still hesitant to even look until this weekend, my husband and I were away all day and when we got home I was exhausted. The next morning, I realized the man who cuts our grass had come and it was like mana from heaven to my soul. It would have been even better if the house had been cleaned too! Thanks again for sharing your experiences!