PDA

View Full Version : For Moms and moms to be

lovebuda
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
My advice whether you wanted it or not HAHA.....I have been reading a lot about how people are wanting to get pregnant or are pregnant and they are scared..and women who have children and have just beend diagnosed. It is scary to think about raising a family with Lupus. It is so unpredictable. I can't tell you how many trips and outtings were cancelled because of a flair. However I have some advice that might help a few of you moms. Just some tips that I do that help me throughout a normal day and when I have a flair. So when and if any of you do have children it might give you something to try. I know with one or two children it would be different probably but I have four....

My children are 4,3,2, and 1. So you can imagine that they keep me very busy. And they wake up early. So I get up at 5am every morning and go for a walk and talk with God. This is a good time to have a quiet moment alone with God to pray and ask for help through out the day and anything else you need. It's also good, for me personally because I have arthritis really bad and walking helps it. And last but not least it's early enough that it's cool and the sun is still asleep so I'm safe.

During the day I try and make it not so stressful. Cleaning up messes as i go, folding laundry as soon as it comes out of the dryer, and picking games and activities for the kids that are fun for them but easy on me...ie coloring, playdough, reading, educational movies and websites, barbies (who doesn't LOVE barbies), basically things that are sit down things. Then there is one hour out of the day that they can run around and be loud. but only for that time.

And when they take a nap I take a nap. And every night before I go to bed I make sure that everything is cleaned and ready for tomorrow. If I wake up and have a flair well then it starts clean and the mess won't be that bad when the flair is done.

On days that I have a flair we do things a bit differently. My husband and I bought a small fridge and a mico for our bedroom. We have a tv, vcr and dvd. We also have a box of toys that is just for our room that stays in our closet. When I have a flair all of us go into my room. This way they are safe, they are not bored, they have stuff to eat, and I can rest. We one of those things that go over the door handle so they can't open up the door but I can =) The way our house is laid out once you turn a corner you have no idea where they are or what they are doing. And during a flair who wants to get up every five mins to get ur baby's hand out of the toilett? lol. Another good reason for doing something like that is, because my house was clean the night before if I spend all day in one room that's the only room you have to clean when you do get better. So instead of digging out after ur done with a flair you are starting fresh.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but once you start doing it you will see it's really not. And babies are worth it. I take it easy but am still able to enjoy my kids. Children are a wonderful blessing and for me all the risks were worth it.

Pretti in Pink
07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
That's good sound advice and encouragment for some.

Maggie17
08-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh my gosh!! Four children!! I have one daughter 19 months. I would love love love to havemore, but I simply don't have enough energy. As it is, this summer we have had to put her in daycare a couple of afternoons a week. God has a funny sense of humour in that he blessed me with a child who lives to be outside in the sun. I unfortunately cannot be outside hardly ever when the sun is up in the summer. I'd love to hear more about your one bedroom technique. I can't imagine convincing my daughter to stay in my bedroom for the day no matter how many toys I had in there. It's so nice to hear from other moms and how they cope. Kudos to you!

Maggie17