PDA

View Full Version : Burgers make me feel like I am on Fire...not in a good way..

tlujan1
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I have be so sick...so being diabetic my doctor is slow about giving me Prednison. I have been in so much pain this week and she made the decission to put me on it. At this point I am willing for anything. So I am on roids now, and few a huge decrease in my pain, but not pain free. My sugars have been in the 300's .... I know horrible, so I have been playing indocronologist and madicating my sugar levels down. It was good today. I am staying in the 100's

I was too tire for making dinner, so hubby when out and got burgers....I know bad. The worst part isnt the surgar levels now, its the pain I feel. My arms feel like they are on fire. No more burgars or fries....well, onion rings.

I guess it is a learning process here.

I have found out that I can no longer drink milk, eat pizza, or burgars, pasta, well, anything with red sauce or creamy sauce. High fatty stuff, makes me sick of my stomach. I have a hard time with fatty red meat, and some chicken.

I need to stick to fish, and plan rice. I need a rice cooker. It is way too late and my brain in not working and I am just babbling on and on.

Cant seem to get away from the movie popcorn..

Oh, dont even mention salt. It feels like my tongue is on fire.

I am a newbie to all this, so I am sure some time in the next few years I should have some of this figured out.

Tanya

Saysusie
07-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I understand the burning sensation after eating the wrong foods. I truly believe that Lupus also initiates food allergies that we did not have before!
We are told to stay away from red meats, so I do not consume any four-legged animals. I eat only fish and fowl. Also, It is suggested that we do not consume oils with saturated fats (and you know your burger was cooked in just that kind of oil). Olive oils, peanut oils (if you have no allergies) etc. are generally recommended. Salt for diabetics is not that good at any rate. Finally, like you, I have developed an intolerance to dairy products. But, you may find that you are able to eat yogurt as long as it has live active cultures. Some of us who have developed lactose intolerance have also found that we can safely consume goat cheese and even some white cheeses (from cows) if it is cooked. Creamy sauces are part of the lactose intolerance and red sauces cause problems due to the tomatoes. Tomatoes are part of the "deadly nightshade" family of plants (like eggplant, tobacco, foxglove, and even potatoes) and this allergy can be fatal.
Keep track of the foods that give you problems, learn about the symptoms of an allergic reaction to these foods and make yourself aware of what causes the reactions. Do not be cavalier about your developing food allergies or about the foods that we should avoid due to our Lupus. With your diabetes, you should be extremely cautious about your diet. There are many, many sites online that provides information, recipes etc for a succesful diabetic diet, a succesfull Lupus diet and alternatives to some of the food allergies!!

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

happy1
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Tanya & Saysusie~
Hello ladies! On the topic of food-I simply must comment. I absolutely LOVE FOOD! Pizza, movie popcorn, mmm mmm good! I am in the process of making some positive changes in my diet, but believe me it is not easy. As I've mentioned before, I'm also working to be a more disciplined individual-so I have to work really hard to make the right decision when presented with 'good' vs 'bad' foods. I say all this to say to you, Tanya, you're not alone-I'm over here trying to eat well too! Although it makes me a little sad, I know it's the right thing to do. We recently brought a rice cooker-in Hawaii rice comes with everything(not kidding they sell it at McDonald's, Burger King-everywhere), so my family and I have begun to want it all the time. We bought a cheap one (by panasonic), it works well. But, I've heard brown rice-long grain- is better than plain white rice. I had white rice mixed with barley recently at a Japanese restaurant, which I was told was good for you. (I was told, but haven't done the research yet.) My husband and I have been checking out a store called 'Down to Earth'. They have organics. We've also been trying the Kashi brand foods, I've switched to Silk Soy Milk(I like Vanilla light) for most things, and other small steps. I find it a little more difficult because we have two toddlers-but we're getting there.
Saysusie, I haven't heard of the 'deadly nightshade' of plant foods. Where can I find more information on this and the other foods which are suggested we avoid? I've only heard about paprika and some type of sprouts. I asked my rhuemie and he said there isn't really a particular diet to follow-just the standard AHA-you know, the basic food pyramid. Have you found that changing your diet has had a profound effect of your health? I would like to imagine it would-even for people with no known ailments.
Alright, I suppose I've said enough, if not too much.

Take care-or should I say eat well.

Saysusie
07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
The family of "Deadly Nightshade" foods include: potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, cherries, peppers (sweet peppers, chili peppers but not black pepper), paprika, tobacco and petunias. Some plants of this family have medicinal value, while some, like deadly nightshade (belladonna) are quite poisonous. The good news is that the risk of becoming seriously ill from eating potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant or peppers is relatively small.Yet for susceptible individuals, the symptoms produced make it worthwhile to avoid these foods. Some people feel better when they give up all foods in the nightshade family completely. Others are more tolerant, only becoming affected when larger quantities are eaten or specific members of the family are consumed. Evaluating the effects of ingesting members of the nightshade family can be tricky. After eating a tomato, it can take as long as 48 hours before a reaction occurs... and it can actually take as long as six months for all reactions to stop. This means that if you want to test for nightshades you may need to completely give up every member of this family for six months. You must carefully check all labels. Prepared foods often contain potato starch or tomato paste. Relish may contain peppers or paprika. Any time you see "spices" listed under ingredients, the food may contain paprika or pepper.
The sprouts that you referred to are usually alfalfa sprouts. Lupus patients are advised to avoid these sprouts as they have been linked with exacerbating and/or aggravating lupus symptoms. Yes, we are told that the best diet for us is the one recommended by the American Heart Association. It is suggested that we may benefit from a balanced diet limited in calories and fat (especially saturated and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids), containing rich sources of vitamin E, vitamin A (beta carotene), selenium and calcium. Vitamin E, vitamin A, and selenium are antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties in people with lupus. Also, it is suggested that we stay away from zinc, which is found in meat and shellfish, especially oysters because zinc is said to enhance immune response, and we don't want to help an immune system fight itself.
There is much literature both in books and on-line about a healthy diet for Lupus. We are best served by knowing what foods cause unwanted reactions in us and what foods make us feel better and designing a healthy diet that works for us individually. We can use the AHA diet as a guideline and personalize it to fit us!
I hope that I've answered your questions :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

happy1
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Saysusie! Thanks for the information. I checked online regarding the 'deadly nightshade' and found similiar information. I consume at least one of those foods daily, mainly tomatoes and potatoes, :( and I won't even go into the spices! At one point I was taking additional Zinc everyday as well.
The information you provided was helpful, thank you! I would have had no idea it would take a couple days before symptoms would be displayed after eating some foods.
Again, I thank you for this information. I'll continue to do research.