PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE "PICK ME UP" SONG AND/OR ACTI

browneyedgirl53
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey Everyone,

You know when you get in one of those "I need to snap out of it" moods; what activity helps you pick yourself up and dust off those ole' boots and start cheerin' up again?

I'm thinking out loud here - but wouldn't it be fun if we had a section of "music for mending souls"....or something like that. I feel so close to so many of you; I often wonder what music and/or activity helps you to get through those rough valleys (and we ALL know about those, don't we?)

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

lovebuda
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
My kids and I listen to Laurie Berkner lol..she sings kid's songs but they are really cute and fun and it always makes me laugh to see the kids dance. Although when I'm by myself I put on some oldies..but goodies. lol. Billy Joel mostly. Interesting enough my pick me up activity is cleaning the bathroom. I know it sounds wierd but it's the only room in the house that, not only can you tell it's been cleaned but it STAYS clean longer than any other room lol.

Pretti in Pink
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
that's a good question- i can't say that there's a particular one but there always seems to be one that will come on the radio or pop in your head for just what you have been going through but a couple a can think of is- Don't Last by Larry Trotter (gospel) and Keep Ya' Head up by TuPac (rap). I know two different genres but they have come in right on time.

I remember when I was a new young mom (like 20 yrs. old) living at home with my mom and just feeling down about being a single mom and TuPacs song came on and I will never forget how it picked my spirits up and encouraged me to just keep my head up and go on.

Then I remember just a couple of months ago when i was going through my episode and Larry Trotters song, trouble don't last always came on and I just had to say Thank You Jesus! that was my reminder that this too shall pass.

browneyedgirl53
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Very nice ladies;

I too am a "cleaner"....it always makes me feel better the next time I walk in the room (so, no - you're not weird).

I love music so much...it's nice to hear how others get through those valley's when we're tired and feelin like it's all uphill from here (you know what I mean)?

I think I'll look up Larry Trotter and will get back to you ladies. I hope you had a chance to listen the music I shared; she's an artist from Greece and it always interests me how others express life through their own music.

Thanks for sharin', thanks for carin'.....thanks for chimin' in.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Saysusie
06-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Browneyedgirl;
When I am really down and blue, I love to listen to Kirk Franklin or Sounds of Blackness. On those really bad days when I can't move, I listen to Oscar Brown Jr. or any R&B from the 60's and 70's. Otherwise, there is smooth jazz always playing somewhere in my house (either from the computer or from the televison or the CD player).

It's funny though, I do my best house cleaning when I'm angry. I go through that house like gangbusters cleaning & polishing, all the while grumbling under my breath :lol:
Unfortunately, for my house that is, I do not get angry often :?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
You are so funny, Suze!!! Could you imagine a houseful of "lupies"....being turned loose on a house project? Habitat for Humanity would sign us up in a heartbeat (ha ha ha).

Kirk Franklin does light a fire doesn't he? How does someone so small make such a big noise?

Last night, while I was mowing the lawn I had some Jimmy Buffet tunes playin....I think the neighbors thought I was having a seizure on the front lawn....dancing with my lawnmower!!!

Thanks for sharin',

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

TammyR
06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
One of my favorites is by Wynonna, Rock Bottom. It says "When you hit rock bottom you've got 2 ways to go...straight up...or sideways". Just love her! Almost any Trace Adkins song cheers me up too!

Pretti in Pink
06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
that's true- once you hit rock bottom you can only go up (or sideways) from there. that's hope.

lovebuda
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
There are always those days when I hit rock bottom and I think to myself "How did I get here? I'm 23 years old with the knees of an 80 yr old and skin so white I blend in with the walls." And then I remember that God doesn't make mistakes. I have this ugly thing raging through my viens for a purpose. And that's when I turn on the music, turn the sound up to 40 and listen to the Piano Man tell me "That the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

browneyedgirl53
06-26-2007, 08:07 PM
NICE JOB.....IT'S GREAT TO HEAR YOUR STORIES !! I'm a huge Wynonna fan; isn't it amazing to hear her sing....I swear she's got more soul than she knows what to do with.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING.....

p.s. The neighbor stopped by this afternoon wanted to know if I was feelin' all right....it looked like I was having trouble mowing the lawn; I said "nope, I was having trouble dancing WHILE I was mowing the lawn".

Love you much,
Browneyedgirl

admin
06-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Funky Town!

Morpheus
06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
I have two of my most favourite songs that gets out of rock bottom.
The one is "When i'm back on my feet again" by Michael Bolton. very inspiring.
And "I will get there" by boyz 2 men. also a very inspiring one.

Well i've always found that michael bolton music is rather nourishing to the soul. Always keeps me upbeat.

Heres to happy days :)

Saysusie
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
"FUNKY TOWN!!" wow, does that bring back memories Conrad!!

BTW - thanx for acting so fast on those reported posts. It must be an epidemic 'cuz there were three more this morning!! :twisted:
It just makes me sad!

Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Let's just thank God.....I don't have webcam! I think the visual in your own mind is enough to make you laugh.

The neighbor and I laughed so hard I pee'd my pants.....he said I looked like a cross of Pee-Wee Herman and Joe Cocker. That I'm old enough to know both of those people is a bit embarrasing.

I LOVE BELLY LAUGHS.......I could do without the peeing part though.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
House cleaning and music...yeah!!! Me too! We have satellite radio in the house and I find a station with stuff from the 60s, 70s and then I get "down and dirty" (or maybe I actually get down and clean!)

I love anything Motown - I have a lot of that in my car. I'm sure I look ridiculous grooving out to the tunes alone in my car. But, hey, no one can hear me and I'll probably never have to explain it to anyone who sees me!

I use a riding lawn mower, so dancing with it would be tricky! :lol:

Jody

tash-lee
06-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I dont have any particular songs that i listen to but any music REALLY REALLY loud cheers me up :lol:

And my current activity is, to organise. At the moment i am organising a car cruise to raise funds for the Lupus Group of Western Australia, we are having a documentary done on it and everything.

When im down i just think God gave me this disease because he knows i will get off my ass and raise awareness not just sit around feeling sorry for myself :lol:

happy1
06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
that's a good question- i can't say that there's a particular one but there always seems to be one that will come on the radio or pop in your head for just what you have been going through but a couple a can think of is- Don't Last by Larry Trotter (gospel) and Keep Ya' Head up by TuPac (rap). I know two different genres but they have come in right on time.

I remember when I was a new young mom (like 20 yrs. old) living at home with my mom and just feeling down about being a single mom and TuPacs song came on and I will never forget how it picked my spirits up and encouraged me to just keep my head up and go on.

Then I remember just a couple of months ago when i was going through my episode and Larry Trotters song, trouble don't last always came on and I just had to say Thank You Jesus! that was my reminder that this too shall pass.

Hey I remember being a single Mom listening to TuPac--keep ya head up- too. "an even though ya fed up-ya gotta keep ya head up...oooh child, things are gonna get easier..."

Music is my main therapy. I listen to all types: alternative, classical, country, hawaiian, jazz, r & B, rap, reggae, rock, everybody--everything. And I sing REALLY loud (I didn't say it sounds good), it just feels good.
Erin

browneyedgirl53
06-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh man, Happy1

GIGANTIC GOOSEBUMPS......I just listened to Trotter this morning while I was getting ready for the day........and then I came to check out this site.
That is incredible, isn't it?

WELL, I MADE IT THROUGH TO FRIDAY....and tomorrow, well - I'll be able to rest up, remember how loved I am.....and gosh darn it all; how lucky I am to have you all in my circle of life.

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT WEEK-END.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Saysusie
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Same to you Browneyedgirl!
Hope your weekend is filled with many joyous moments! Don't forget to rest when you need it...please don't over do!

Smooches
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Here's another one to dance to and put things in retrospect- "Live like you were dying"-Tim McGraw.

Chickadee722
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
This might sound silly, but growing up whenever I was sick my parents would put on The Sound of Music. When I have a bad day I usually throw that in and it helps to think of "my favorite things". :D

malisa
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I think this may be a little different than some of the other artist.I like to put on some loud heavy metal like Metallica . I believe that I take some of my anger out when I am cleaning.That kind of music motivates me to push on with whatever I need to do.

the_librarian
07-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I love this question and I agree that various songs come into play. Some days I think of a song that made me feel better a week ago and now it does nothing for me. Luckily my husband and I both have IPODs and he is constantly updating mine with music without me knowing. The songs range from Tu Pac to the BeeGees to Elvis to SNL skits. This week I've been listening to "Stayin' Alive" which always makes me giggle. I can just see John Travolta in that WHITE suit. I'm 30, but my mother loved John Travolta! There is also a White Stripes song that I like to listen too (Little Ghost) It is very upbeat and quite amusing. On days where I feel like being melancholy, but not depressed, I listen to Norah Jones. Her songs make me feel like the smell of the air during a spring rain.

Cleaning - I clean when I'm angry. The bathroom is also my favorite. I don't do it very often. I love a clean house, but don't really have the energy. My husband and I are still figuring out how to live with this. My mother has been coming over every couple of weeks and it is like having magic cleaning elves. I walk into my kitchen and it is like a new home. I love my mother. Okay, now I'm getting all sentimental.

magistramarla
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Well, I guess I'm showing my age here, but here's my favorite music to listen to on a rough day, or even just a relaxing day! Anything by Kenny G.; anything by Phil Collins, and especially the series of cds that Rod Stewart made called the Great American Songbook - all 3 or 4 of them. He's recorded songs from the '40s and '50s which are sooo soothing and fun to sing along with.
Cleaning is a real problem for me lately. I've had one of those magic cleaning elves for 12 years. I gave Lisa a key to my house when I went back to teaching full time 5 years ago. I would leave money on the kitchen counter and like magic, when I came home my house was lovely, clean and smelled wonderful, despite the fact that 7 cats and a dog live in it. Lisa recently decided to retire and spend more time with her handsome young hubby, so I'm without a housekeeper. My daughter Kayla is trying to do some of the housework, since she's the one who messes it up the most. She has a wild-man 2 year old, and is running a little day-care in my house this summer. My other daughter recently rescued a puppy and a kitten, both abused, so my house is a zoo. No new housekeeper in her right mind would even try to clean around all of the kids, cats and dogs in this house!
I've found that even trying to sweep with a broom really hurts me lately, so my husband and daughters are really having to "take up the slack".
Marla

the_librarian
07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Marla -

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but do you ever feel the need to pick up before your house keeper comes? What do you tell her to do with miscellaneous stuff? What exactly does she do for you? Does she bring her own supplies? Maybe this isn't the right place to ask these. I'll post the question to everyone on the main Lauri's Lounge board, but my husband has been saying we need a housekeeper and I've been hesitant. Help!?

magistramarla
07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Yes, I know what you mean about cleaning before the housekeeper. I was very bad about it at first, but as I got to know Lisa, I did less and less. I did do a basic "clutter patrol" the evening before she came. I provided all of the supplies - I guess that is something that might be different with other housekeepers. Lisa knew us so well that she knew approximately where everything belonged, although sometimes it was tough finding stuff when she unloaded the dishwasher for me. What I most appreciated was that she did all of the basics for me - cleaned both bathrooms thoroughly, mopped all of the tile floors, vacuumed everywhere, dusted everything (including ceiling fans) and cleaned windows and mirrors. The great thing was that she loved my cats and even brought treats for however many dogs happened to be staying with us at the time. Lisa was a great friend, and I miss her a lot. I don't know whether I can ever feel that comfortable with anyone else as my housekeeper. Good luck and I hope that you can find someone like her. If you can, that person will be worth it!
Marla

racinie
07-10-2007, 12:14 AM
the postal service!!

angela
07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
i know i'm waaay late!! i just love ALL of you selections!! inspiring! and like browneyed girl, i truly LOVE music. it means so much too me. it's kept through so much. i really dont know where to begin!! so i'll give it a try, hope you enjoy!

john mayer - waitng on the world to change; why georgia; no such thing
5 for fighting - superman
kirk franklin - anything!
india arie - everything just about
most maroon 5
lailah hathaway, donny hathaway
mary j. blige - be without u
mint condition - someone to love
some celine dion
queen/david bowie - pressure
done farris - hopeless
mariah carey - i am free, breakdown
there are tons of others, in r&b/pop, smooth jazz, and alternative
i just love music!! thanks for asking brown eyed girl!!

be well :wink:

Pretti in Pink
07-11-2007, 06:08 AM
You know a good pick me up is when one of those songs come on that radio that has always made you feel good and you just smile and get to movin'. I love those time and songs where you just hate for them to go off.

the_librarian
07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Two of these spring to mind:

Walking on Sunshine & Total Eclipse of the Heart (which goes on forever and yet my husband and I will sit in the car and sing the whole thing)

I'm sure there are many many more.

I love this thread!

magistramarla
07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm showing my age again - Whenever "Color My World" by Chicago comes on the radio, my husband takes me into his arms and we dance. We were married to that song nearly 31 years ago!
Marla

browneyedgirl53
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
OH MAN, IT'S AWESOME TO READ ALL THE DISCUSSIONS ON THIS TOPIC. In the busy, crazy, mixed-up, worried world we live in....music is such a relief and release, isn't it?

This morning as I was driving to work "Browneyed Girl" came on, I turned up the radio full blast....signin' and boppin' along; I'm sure that the drivers next to me thought I was having a seizure! That song just makes me feel 12 years old all over again, listening to my transistor radio - skipping down the sidewalk and convinced that he was singing just "to me".....heee heee heee heeee!

Come about Friday's, I'm usually in the mood for some good ole' Jimmy Buffet. You know, I'm convinced that guys gotta be one of the happiest charachters in the world. His songs are so much fun.

Well, signing off for now gang. Keep the tunes on, your hearts soaring and your spirits high!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mystre
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I am new to the boards but I saw this question about music and as I LOVE music I am posting. When I am down... Most any 80's music gets me in a good mood. Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder, Pon de Replay by Rhianna, Sugar(Gimme Some) by Trick Daddy come to mind. Most anything that I can dance to gets me going... Also any Clay Walker, most Garth Brooks, Sara Evans and SHeDAISY. My tastes are varied as you can see but when I am down music always gets me back in a good mood before too long. Although I did notice that music didnt work too good when I was on prednisone.... I was pretty much a witch that whole 2 years...So I am glad that I am off of it. For now anyway :wink:

cheryl_v
07-13-2007, 06:17 AM
:lol: I love to watch the kids dance and sing to videos I recorded on Tivo for them, its a real hoot! Their 1, 7, & 13. Quite a show in different sizes,lol. When I'm by myself, I love listen to Evanescence & Linkin Park. With headphones loudly, when I get the chance. I take my mp3 player on walks too really unwind, or while I read.

They say music sooths the savage beast, I believe it.(lol). It calms my aggrivative mood. The 1yr old always stops crying when music comes on, as well as the other 2 stop figting and come running to the music. I wouldn't know what to do without music. :shock:

This is a good post, I enjoyed reading everyones post. :D

msgracie48
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone. I want to thank everyone for their caring and sharing their stories. It relly helps knowing that there is a place where I can go that people will understand myself and my illness. I do love to listen to music and clean and try to dance when everything seems to be getting to much.From Journey, to Bd Company Mamma and the Pappas to the Gaithers,Tait, and Toby Mac. Thank you all, I thank God that I found this site.[/quote]

Saysusie
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Yummmm!! Just finished singing along with James Taylor "Fire and Rain"
Love that song!

Saysusie

littlered
07-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I love "I'm Still Standin'" by Elton John. Pumps me up everytime! Love, Kathy

also_ran
07-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Anything from Bon Jovi is good for a pick me up. They seem to have a good "if you get knocked down, dust yourself off and keep going" attitude about alot of their songs. I just love them. But I have a love affair with jazz and the standards as well. In fact, the end of July I'm going to see Michael Buble in concert. I can't wait!

Brian0025
07-17-2007, 04:23 AM
I like Tupac ALOT, and know alot about him. Yah, it's rap, but I can relate to alot of his songs. He came up from nothing. But went on to do ballet, and theater in high school. Later, he got caught up in the "thuglife"/east coast, west coast fued. Anyway, his songs are packed with great charisma, truth, and emotion.
Another good one for rock fans is 'Rage Against The Machine'. Nice loud head'bangin', simple, LOUD sounds filled with rage.

browneyedgirl53
07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Just got out of the hospital....AGAIN! Blood clots in my lungs. My best friend brought my walkman and she had it tuned into oldies....man, was that nice. That particular day, they were playing Herman's Hemits....what a happy voice that guy has. I think he could sing "your feet stink" and it would sound happy! Hee hee hee.

It sure feels good to be back, MY HEARTFELT THANKS FOR EVERYONE who has responded to this conversation.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Oluwa
08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
I wouldn't say it is a get down on it, jazz me, woohoo, dance naked kind of song..but it brings me peace. Inner calmness.
STAND Donnie McClurkin

What do you do, When you've done all you can and it never seems like it is never enough? And what do you say when your friends turn away and you're all alone? Tell me, what do you give when you've given your all and seems like you can't make it through?

Well, you just stand. When there is nothing left for you to do you just stand. Watch the Lord see you through. Yes, after you've done all you can, you just stand.

Tell me, how do you handle the guilt of your past? Tell me, how do you deal with the shame? And how can you smile while your heart has been broken and filled with pain? Tell me, what do you give when you've given your all. Seems like you can't make it through? Child....

Well, you just stand. When there is nothing left for you to do you just stand. Watch the Lord see you through. Yes, after you've done all you can, you just stand.

You just stand and be sure, be not entangled in that bondage again. You just stand and endure. God has a purpose, yes, God has a plan.

Tell me, what do you when you've down all you can and it seems like you can't make it through? Child, you just stand....don't dare give up...

Through the storm, through the rain, through the hurt, through the pain...

Don't you bow, don't you bend. Don't give up, no, don't give in.

Hold on, just be strong. God will step in and it won't be long. After you've done all you can....

After you've gone through the hurt. After you've gone through the pain. After you've gone through the storm. After you've gone through the rain.

Prayed and cried....

After you've done all you can, You Just Stand!

Saysusie
08-23-2007, 08:44 AM
OMG OLuwa..... I just sang that song last Sunday as a guest soloist in a church in Riverside. That is one of my Favorite songs. Thank you for sharing the words because they are so powerful, aren't they?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pretti in Pink
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
When I used to praise dance we had a beautiful dance to that song. Everytime I hear it, it still moves me because sometimes all you can do is STAND!

Oluwa
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Saysusie,

Yes indeed.

My today, my tonight...I feel I can't make it through. I've had enough so, I have been just standing.

My name is Marijo (Oluwa) and I've done all I can.

Good night.

browneyedgirl53
09-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Oh what a blessing you are Marijo!!!! Thanks for sharing that song with us. I had never heard it, and now I will make it a point to listen to it. The words are so awesome!!!

There have been too many nights full of tears, too many days filled with fears....and too many days when I didn't know what tomorrow would bring....and so I just stand with my arms reached out to my ABBA!! He knows the desires of our hearts, He knows the pain we go through, and when we're just too tired to stand....we must always remember - we can never ever fall further than God's hands can reach us.

I love good southern gospel music, it makes you humble when you're tired of yourself...and you know that God still cares, and He's always listening for our cries and our praises.

Hope all is well. I've missed you all.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl