PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary Fibrosis and Systemic Lupus

mskin
06-21-2007, 04:51 PM
:?: Does anyone know much about Pulmonary Fibrosis and Systemic Lupus? I had a CT scan done 2 weeks ago and it shows early Pulmonary Fibrosis in both right and left lobes. The doctor then recanted the first doctor and feels that the problem was not asthma at all but that the Pulmonary Fibrosis is the correct diagnosis. They have said that from beginning to end could be 4-6 years of longevity. Wonder has anyone else been through this? How bad is this and what can I do beings there is not any medication to cure it just like the rest of my health problems? I had already put in my notice at work prior to this as I just can't do it anymore. Now I hope the lawyer can help me more and get the SS going. Any help appreciated. mskin

Lula2ya
06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
sorry... my post is below

Lula2ya
06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi, I don't have or know about Pulmonary Fibrosis but I've read about someone who has it. She has polymyositis which is one of the things wrong with me and I found her website because of that. I hope this helps, check it out it will encourage you she doesn't let it stop her. Polymyositis is a lupus like condition. I have mine included in my mixed connective tissue disease. http://www.lenorsjourney.com/myStory.htm

Saysusie
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Pulmonary Fibrosis involves scarring of the lung. Gradually, the air sacs of the lungs become replaced by fibrotic tissue. When the scar forms, the tissue becomes thicker causing an irreversible loss of the tissue’s ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. Pulmonary fibrosis is the abnormal formation of fibre-like scar tissue in the lungs. The scar formation is preceded by, and associated with, inflammation.
Pulmonary Fibrosis is also believed to a an autoimmune disease and that it can be caused by many conditions, including chronic inflammatory processes (sarcoidosis, Wegener’s granulomatosis ), infections, environmental agents (asbestos, silica, exposure to certain gases), exposure to ionizing radiation (such as radiation therapy to treat tumors of the chest), chronic conditions (such as lupus & rheumatoid arthritis), and certain medications. Because the origin and development of the disease is not completely understood, misdiagnosis is common. It is also felt that the fibrotic process is a reaction to a microscopic injury to the lung.
Treatment usually depends on what doctors may feel is the underlying cause. If one of the known causes of pulmonary fibrosis exists, then treatment of that underlying disease or removal of the patient from the environment causing the disease is usually effective. Treatment is sometimes limited to treating the inflammatory response that occurs in the lungs. This is done in the hope that stopping the inflammation will prevent the laying down of scar tissue or fibrosis in the lungs and thereby stopping the progression of the disease. Corticosteroids are the drugs which are usually administered in an attempt to stop the inflammation. Other drugs have been tried but, there is not much convincing evidence of their effect.
Along with drug therapies, it is generally suggested that patients with this condition also participate in rehabilitation and education programmes that will teach them how to breathe more efficiently and how to perform their activities of daily living with less breathlessness. Sometimes supplemental oxygen therapy is required in order to treat breathlessness. Early treatment of chest infections is required. Smoking must be discontinued, as the effects of tobacco will aggravate the shortness of breath.

Here is the address & phone number for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, perhaps they can provide more information for you.
I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation
1332 North Halsted Street Suite 201
Chicago, Illinois 60622
(312) 587-9272 fax (312) 587- 9273