PDA

View Full Version : Spasmodic Dysphonia

magistramarla
06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Here is one that I haven't seen on this list yet. The ENT just told me that I have Spasmodic Dysphonia. Has anyone else had to deal with this one? I've been "losing my voice" all through this past school year. I've been short of breath, and my voice has been weak, breathy, and have had tremors in my voice. My husband says that I speak like a little old lady. It has been getting progressively worse. The doc. says that it is caused by a spasm in my vocal chords, which is ultimately a neurological problem. (I wonder if it's related to the tingling in my toes, which is supposed to be neurological, too?) He wants me in for more testing, then he said that the treatment for it is Botox injected into the vocal chords through the neck. This does not sound like a fun time to me! Please, please respond if you have ever dealt with this, especially those injections. Most things don't bother me much, but I'm quaking in my boots at the thought of this!
Thanks,
Marla

magistramarla
06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I didn't get any responses to this one, so I guess it might be unique to me. The ENT seems to think that the SD might be related to my autoimmune problem. He is waiting to see what meds the rheumy decides to put me on, just in case those help the vocal chords, too. If that doesn't work, then he'll go for the botox. He has me seeing a speech therapist to work on breathing techniques, which was a bit difficult today with the pleurisy I was feeling in my chest. I had thought that I had permanently damaged my voice when I had bronchitis three years in a row. Who knew that it was yet another weird syndrome! I feel that my body is playing all kinds of dirty tricks on me.
Marla