PDA

View Full Version : Can women who have Lupus, have children?

Rena
02-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Hello,
I am new here, and I dont know alot about lupus, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how it may effect a women in being able to have children. And if having children would cause the disease to worsen in any way, or shorten a persons life span. I have heard that it could. Does anyone know of anyone who has had children, who has Lupus, without having problems?

Thank you, Rena'

michellev1280
02-07-2004, 09:29 AM
HI Rena,
I am new here too. I found out that I had lupus while I was pregnant, and that was stressful for me. Women with lupus can have children but you must be careful. It would be best to conceive when you haven't had a flare in a long time; when the disease is not very active. They do have medication for pregnant women to take. There is a chance that you might flare after the baby is born. My baby and I made several trips to the hospital, and she had a lot of blood tested and drawn. My daughter is just fine! She is healthy, active and smart. She is almost ten months now. I wish you the best, and I hope that this e-mail has helped you.

Rena
02-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Michelle,
Thank you for your post. While this information I was asking for isnt for me, its for my son's girlfriend, and I was concerned about her health in the future, if they did try to have children someday, since she has Lupus.
You say you dont have any problems now. But are the chances real high for the Lupus to flare up after you have had a baby? And if so is there medications to take care of it, if it does? And does a persons lifestyle have to change, or their diet, and that sort of thing? And is it something that can be passed down to the baby?
I'm glad to hear you and your baby are doing good, and I wish the best for the both of you. Thanks again for your reply. Rena' :)

michellev1280
02-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Well Rena,
I have read that it's very likely to flare up after the baby is born but I did not suffer a lot. I was having some pain in my joints, and I felt stiff, but it wasn't as bad as I read about it being. They do give you anit-inflammatory and pain medication. She doesn't have to completely change her lifestyle, she should just eat healthy and exercise when she's not in pain. I don't know how bad it is for her, but if she can continue with the types of things she does every day, then I would suggest that she did. Too much exposure to sunlight could cause a flare, but she could just put on sunblock and she should be just fine. There is a small percentage; about 5% chance that her child may have lupus but it is not likely. I hope this info helps. God bless you.

Rena
02-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Michelle,
Thank you for your reply. Your information sounds encouraging.
She is 30 yrs. old and has never had children, but I was concerned what kind of problems she might possibly have. I dont believe her Lupus is that active right now. She has known that she has Lupus since she was about 17, I believe. She has had some problems from time to time with her kidneys, and there were some problems a few times with her ankle joints, but I think right now its not all that active. I was just concerned what may happen if she ever did become pregnant, and how it may effect her health, and that of the babies. Thanks for helping me understand this better.
Love, Rena' :)

michellev1280
02-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm glad that I was able to help in some way. :D

Rena
02-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks Michelle! ((hugs))
You've been a great help! :D

michellev1280
02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm glad that I could help. I was wondering, do you know if she's experienced any hair loss? Well, I just went through that and I was wondering if this will happen repeatedly or if it would just happen this once. I was crying a lot when it started coming out; I had a nice head of hair and now it's almost all the way gone. Well, I was just wondering.. Maybe we can talk again sometime. :)

Rena
02-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi Michelle,
You know I'm not to sure about the hair loss, because I'm not sure how it was when she was young. I'v known her for about 3 years and her hair seems to be the same as it was when I first met her. But I'll ask her how it was when she was younger. It could have been a lot thicker then.
You know sometimes you can have hair loss just from having a baby, sometimes the anesthetics your are given during the babies birth can cause hair loss, I know it did me when I had my children. And it mostly came back. Of course that may be different from what your talking about.
Anyway I'll ask her. I'll talk with you another time. Love, Rena' :)

Rena
04-04-2004, 05:48 PM
:) Hello,
I would like to ask another question about women who have Lupus having children. How does it effect a woman, or the baby, if she waits until she's in her mid-30's to have her first baby. I'v heard that it may be more of a problem if a woman waits tell then to have her first. Does anyone have any information on this? Thank you. Love, Rena'

frazzledfraggle
04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I developed Lupus during my pregnancy, but did not have any major flares until my son was about 1 1/2. I am not having anymore, but that has nothing to do with Lupus.

A family member of mine was told to wait on having more kids after she was diagnosed. It took about 3 years, but she is doing great on her meds and was just cleared to get preggers again. :)

As far as the hair falling out, that happened to me-for about a month. It got noticable..and I was really freaking out. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed a few things (I didnt have my diagnosis and he didnt think I could possibly have Lupus)

Anyway, I think it went away on its own. Getting more rest and eating better may have helped too. My hair is totally back to normal now. I use a medicated shampoo twice a week but no more topical stuff.

Rena
04-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know?

:) Hello,
I would like to ask another question about women who have Lupus having children. How does it effect a woman, or the baby, if she waits until she's in her mid-30's to have her first baby. I'v heard that it may be more of a problem if a woman waits tell then to have her first. Does anyone have any information on this? Thank you. Love, Rena'

michellev1280
04-27-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm very sorry. I don't know about that. If I had any information I would let you know. :(

Saysusie
05-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi Rena;
Here is what I've been able to find out about pregnancy and Lupus. There are some risks, depending upon your drug therapy. 10-15 percent of pregnancies end in miscarriage (especially if you are taking immunosuppressant drugs and/or steroids). Babies born to Lupus mothers are sometimes born prematurely. You would be considered a "high-risk" pregnancy - both due to age and Lupus (women 35 and over are automatically considered "high-risk" pregnancies). WHen you decide to try to conceive, it is recommended that you stop drinking and smoking and talk to your doctor about your medications (preferably a obstetrician who specializes in high-risk pregnancies). Talk with your rheumatologist and make sure that the two work closely together. You should be monitored closely and regularly during your pregnancy and your medications should be adjusted based upon your Lupus activity during your pregnancy. If you have had blood clots during your illness, make sure that your doctors know that.
Your baby will also be monitored closely during the pregnancy. Like I said earlier, Lupus mothers tend to give birth prematurely.
Lupus is known to flare after child birth...make sure that you prepare for that with your doctors. Most medications taken regularly will continue during pregnancy and most will not harm the baby. If steroids are needed, prednisone or prednisolone are generally preferred since the way that they are metabolized in the placenta limits the amount that reaches the baby. Hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil) and potent immunosuppressants (azathioprine and cyclophosphamide) are generally avoided during pregnancy. Most medications do find their way into mother's milk (albeit in small amounts) and you should discuss breast feeding with your team of doctors!
I hope that I have been able to answer some of your questions.
Let me know if you need more information!
Best of Luck To You
Saysusie

Rena
05-05-2004, 08:46 PM
(((Saysusie)))
Thank you so much for your information, it is very helpful.
I'm wanting the information for my sons Fiancee. She is the one who has lupus. She says its in remission right now, but I was wondering if it might effect her later on after they are married and decide to have children. She is 32 right now, and has never had a child. So I was concerned as to whether it could effect her in some way if she should become pregnant later on.
You gave me a lot of information, and it helps to know these things. Thanks again. Love, Rena :)

Saysusie
05-07-2004, 07:30 AM
You are VERY welcome :lol: I wish your future daughter-in-law and your son the very best!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

tdeyne
09-12-2004, 03:36 PM
i would like to thank all of you for the information about being pregnant with lupus. i am 28 years old and have only been married one year. my husband and i want a family very badly. my rheumotologist just informed me that he sees a little bit of lupus activity so we have but the baby plans on hold. this of course has me so sad and depressed because i feel like i'm getting old! but of course my health is more important. recently my rheumie told me that he sees small traces of protein in my kidneys. the max should be 150 and i was at 162 or something like that. does anyone know anything about this? am i ever going to be able to have a child now with my kidneys having protein in them? he wrote me an rx for an ace inhibitor. he said right now it's really not THAT serious but i don't take any of this stuff lightly. is there anyone here that has had kidney problems in the past but has still had a child? please let me know. thanks a lot! :cry:

lulumomof5
09-19-2004, 05:47 PM
I was pregnant with my 4th child and started getting many symptoms of the disease. I had her then went into severe flare. For the next few years I went from sick to sicker. I also have lost more than half my hair :cry: (very lucky I had tons of hair) I'm not sure if that had to do with pregnancy and/or lupus? After Years of ups and downs and so many treatments including methotrexate for 2 years, I started to get well. I went off most of my meds and went down to maintance doses on meds my MDs felt I needed to stay on. For 5 years I went without getting pregnant. It most have had a lot to do with all the meds I was on. Because not long after I unexpectedly got pregnant with my 5th and final child. I made sure to have my tubes tied after my last baby. 5 was more than I had planned on having. My pregnancy with her had me bed ridden. I had preterm labor from 25 weeks on. I had blood clotting problems as a result of lupus and the pregnancy aggravated it. I got a clot in my arm and spent from 16 weeks to 34 when she was born on blood thinners. 2 shoots a day on my tummy. I looked very bruised and battered. It was by far one of the more trying of diffcult pregnancies I had. Once my darling baby was born I didn't care. I was so pleased to have this special new person. She is now 2 and in perfect health. I went through a minor flare shortly after my baby was born, but nothing that I couldn't handle with very minimal drug. I stayed on most of my meds right thru my pregnancy, including prednisone. I also stayed on my pain meds all the way thru. The down side to that she had to withdraw from my meds (methadone and vicidon) That and being born 6 weeks early. She stayed in the hospital for 4 weeks. She has had zero side effects since. I feel blessed everyday that I had this last baby. She has changed my life. I know I can get through a heck of alot for my kids. ~Lucy
PS I am still breastfeeding and have since she was born, though she was fed through a tube for the first few weeks, it was most often with my own milk.

Saysusie
09-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Lucy;
What a beautiful and loving story. I almost cried...it was like watching a movie. In fact, I can see your story being an emotional filled movie on the Lifetime channel. You have, I am sure, given hope to so many who are or want to become pregnant. Thank You So Much for sharing that with us!
I know that you went through a lot during your 4th and 5th pregnancies, especially the 5th. My heart goes out to you! How old is your daughter now?
I know that she, and all of your children, holds a special place in your heart!

Once Again...Thank You
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

lulumomof5
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Thank you I never thought of it that way before like a mini movie, my life. That's very comforting. It kinda put things into prospective for me. I like the way you put it. Special indeed my children are to me. All 5 of them. My oldest Rhiannon is 13, Brendon is 12, Kurtis is 10, Isabella who I was pregnant with when I first started getting symptoms of lupus is 8 on Oct.21st. Makayla my darling baby turned 2 on Sept.2nd. She is perfect. We have made it through some very frightening times together. In fact really grown up together. Since I started having them at 15. They have spent everyday of their lives by my side, and I am so very blessed. Each and everyone of them has impacted my life in very beautiful way. Thanks again for your post. ~Lucy :lol:

kkgadro
09-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey!
I have 3 children. The first 2 (boys) were born in my early 20's no real problems. My daughter was born in my early 30's. We had some early labor around the sixth month. Dr. put me in the bed for the duration with steroid shots. My daughter is perfect. she is now six years old. It was a little struggle but nothing major. I had a flare up after the children were born. Mostly arthritis and being tired. We did great!

tdeyne
09-24-2004, 08:56 PM
lucy-
wow that really was a very touching story. i am sooo happy for you. you are my age also so your story hits very close to home with me. i am so happy all of your childen are healthy. the good news is come to find out my proteinuria was not a big deal at all. my kidney functions are completely normal and my rheumy says i'm going to be fine. i'm taking methotrexate right now so conceiving is not an option at this point. however sometime next year i hope to be off of the meth and i will wait 6 months for it to be out of my system and if all is well at that time and my rheumy gives us the okay we will try to get pregnant then. i will probably be going on 30 by then. i pray everyday that everything goes fine for myself and my husband. we want nothing more than a healthy bundle of joy just like you have..thanks again! :D

lulumomof5
09-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Tdeyne,

I am very glad to here your rheumy said the protien in your urine was not serious. As I have heard it is a lot more difficult to have babies when you have kidney invovlement. I am so excited for you. I prey all goes well for you over the next few months so you can go off the MTX. Like I mentioned in my post I stayed on most my meds all the way through my pregnancy. Plus a few added meds. Of course it was hard going. But every second of it has been worth it, no more than worth it. Because everyday I get to wake up to these beautyful people. Best of luck to you. ~Lucy

JenHa55
09-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Rena,

I am 28 years old, having been diagnosed with Lupus 10 years this month. I have had one miscarriage at 6 months pregnant and my team of doctors, for now have suggested we definitely hold off on planning a family, which we have done.

My father has Multiple Sclerosis and it is known that has a genetic link to Lupus - autoimmune diseases in general - but I am the only one out of three that ended up with an autoimmune disease. So, that might give you an idea that there is a possibility of genetics and disease in the future for the child and Mum.

My husband and I have decided together to hold off on a family, possibly permanently because my Lupus is very unstable and not just the pregnancy is a concern but raising a child while having a disease like Lupus can be difficult.

But really, it all depends on her own Lupus (everyone is different) and also what support system she has around her to help her with children if she has a flare etc... There are a lot of factors to sit down and work out. I know that it's possible and some new Mums experience very little trouble and some have had their disease absolutely sky-rocket from having a child as hormones play a role in Lupus flares. Each situation is different and you cannot predict what is going to happen at the best of times, even with a healthy person.

The doctors and parents just need to work out a plan, a solid plan and give themselves time and the right opportunity to have a baby! Best of luck to you and your family. Take care! Support for them is key, friends, family, health, work etc... It is all a factor that can help it to be less stressful and hopefully with less stress, a happier, healthier pregnancy.