PDA

View Full Version : Laser hair removal? They say no if you have lupus.....

gina_smile
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I want to have laser removal, and they asked if I have lupus. They said they won't do it if I have it. How true is that - that it's that dangerous? Has anyone else experienced this?

I have SLE without major organ involvement. I'm thinking about just not telling them I have lupus and at least trying the first session and see how I feel. I figure they are trying to keep from getting sued or something and being overly cautious. Any input on this would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Oluwa
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi Gina,

I had laser hair reducer in upper lip and chin region, but it was before I was diagnosed. I wasn't sporting a beard or moustache, just darker than I liked. Got tired of bleaching and ripping if off with bee's wax...

I can tell you my experience. Well, after the fifth session I felt a weird sensation above my lip. I woke up the following morning with an ulcer, oh, about the size of a quarter between my nose and top lip. Wasn't pretty. Stayed with me for 2 weeks. The dermatologist, whose office performed the laser treatment, took a culture and it wasn't a cold sore. He said it was an inflammed follicle. Humm...a pinhole to the size of a quarter.

In the end I am hairy than ever and wished, I never had it done. Before they were finer hairs, today I have wires.

I have medium olive tone skin, and my hairs were dark.....it should have worked, but in my case it didn't.

The key word is Reducer..it is a hair reducer if it works for you and it can also grow back.

I can understand why they would say no to Lupus because it is very stressful, painful which perhaps could cause a flare. Or even the hyper-sensitivity of our skin, quick to react. Or perhaps from the zap light. Perhaps, that quarter size hole above my lip was an ulcer now that I look back on my life, full of undiagnosed symptoms.

So, there ya have it, my horror story.

Keep well,
Oluwa

camyskitties
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I have been told no chemical peels by my derm due to having DLE, but I don't know about laser hair removal. He told me it was because it could aggravate my lupus. I would imagine the laser light would do the same to you.

Nekhbet
07-16-2007, 03:47 AM
I'm so glad somebody else asked about this. I've been wondering this too. So just giving it a bump..

The other issue is that I have skin issues and so I am reluctant to wax because of the increased pain. My skin is always sensitive now.

It doesn't leave very many hair removal options and I am feeling like a hairy bear- even though I am shaving. I want something more permanant.

cheryl_v
07-16-2007, 07:42 AM
:painting: I've never had this done, but I would recommend not doing so. I can't remember the article well, but on Web MD it was highly recommended not too by lupus patients. You could always go to webmd.com and see if you could find the article. It has risk factors and all those good reasons why it shouldn't be done. I say read it before you decide. I don't wax either due to skin aggrivation. It hurts, but plucking still works best. Takes longer to remove hair, but doesn't come back darker and thicker. Well thats my advice, hope its been some help to you.

Brian0025
07-17-2007, 04:57 AM
With lupus, sometimes you have to deal without the finer qualities in life. :lol: