PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition questions

Morpheus
06-04-2007, 05:26 AM
How long, i bet the majority of us are having a nice warm summer, here unfortunately its cold and raining.

Anyway so back to the topic, :)

I've been reading quite a number of patrick holford literature. the latest one i'm reading is "Food is better medicine than drugs" he prescribes that we should all be taking a multivaitamin and extra omega 3 and 6 supplementation. (which i am doing anyway).

He also prescribes that i take a vitamin c supplement as well, will this in any way interfere with lupus, and on another note, i took one of his questionares, and according to it my blood sugar level is quite high and he recommends supplementing with chromium.

Does anyone have any opinions about this?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Morpheus
06-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Just as an extension to the above.
Does anyone have experience with diabetes and lupus as in having both these diseases.

I am currently excessively thirsty all the time, despite me always having a 1.5 litre water bottle(and finishing it at about 4) and still being thirsty.

At times i am extremely tired and sleepish after eating, espeacially lunch, I had fish today, doesnt have tooo many sugars in it too spike my blood level, as would normally be the case with other sweets and carbs.

Really getting worried, And i am unfortuantely 20kg overweight.

:cry:

Saysusie
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
What type of diabetes do you have? Lupus and Type 1 Diabetes are both autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune diseases are conditions in which the body's defence (immune) system attacks part of the body itself. The targeting of this attack is directed either by specialized proteins called antibodies, or else by a subset of white blood cells called T cells. It is not known why some individuals develop these diseases while most do not, but they are relatively common and can cause serious health problems and even death. During development, as the body begins building its arsenal of T cells to attack various types of invaders, any T cells that attack the body's own tissues are supposed to be deleted. However, in autoimmunde disorders, some of these self-reactive T cells don't get eradicated. These cells are known as type B T cells. T cells normally go on the attack when other cells known as antigen-presenting cells supply evidence of a foreign invasion. This evidence takes the form of protein bits on the surface of antigen-presenting cells. Based on its inspection of these protein bits, a T cell will either remain inactive or start multiplying in preparation for an attack.
The coexistence of SLE and type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes in patients does not occur very often. However, it has been found that when it does occurs, it is not uncommon for one to lead to the other.
With reference to taking vitamins, most doctors say that it is important for Lupus patients to take a regimen of a high-potency, easily assimilated, vitamin & mineral product. It is suggested that we avoid the commercial "one-a-day" type vitiamins because it takes a number of nutrients to produce improved health, and that cannot be combined into one tablet. If you are taking steroids, it is highly recommended that you take calcium supplements. However, it is stressed that proper nutrition is even more important than simply taking calcium. Another possible result of steroid therapy is cognitive confusion and loss of concentration. When/if this occurs, there are many supplements available. Also, steroids may deplete vitamin B6, vitamin D, and zinc. It is suggested that we take these supplements. Be aware that B-complex vitamins also are depleted by aspirin and indomethacin, which are common anti-inflammatory medications.
Most importantly, supplements should not be used in lieu of prescribed drugs! Supplements are just as their name suggests, supplements to your regular drug treatment and they may be helpul in easing some symptoms. Note, the words "may" and "some"

Peace & Blessings
Saysusie

Morpheus
06-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Hi Saysusie,
so nice to hear from you in such a ling time :)

I dont have diabetes, i was just extremely worried that it could be a strong possibilty because of my lupus and my rather moderate level of good nutrition.

Had my blood glucose level tested at the pharmacy yesterday, and it was normal.

Thank god.

Thanks everyone so much for all the feedback

Saysusie
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I am glad to hear that your levels are normal. My doctors watch me very closely for diabetes. I believe it is because my eating habits are deplorable (like, I don't eat and when I do, I don't eat enough!!)

I guess that you and I should get serious about our nutrition to make sure that we don't become diabetic :?

I wish you the best
Peace and BLessings
Saysusie