PDA

View Full Version : I need some answers, you guys. Please help

kimntwins
06-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I've been dealing with my problems since September of last year. I've seen three rheumatologists, three dermatologists and an orthopedist... not to mention all the radiologists and phlebotomists and my pcp. Noone can figure out what's wrong with me. I've been officially diagnosed with "undifferentiated connective tissue disease." Meaning that I exhibit various symptoms of several connective tissue diseases, but no hallmark symptoms of any specific one. Rheumatoid arthritis has been on the table along with lupus. I have searched and searched and searched and SEARCHED my symptoms all over the web. So here's where you come in... I'd like to know if anyone has the same symptoms (or even just a few of the symptoms). The one that bothers me the most is that I can no longer make a fist with my right hand. (And my left is slowly following suit.) My fingers curl in only so far before I cannot push them any further. I really have no grip strength because, well, I have no fist to make a grip. The areas around my nailbeds and my cuticles are sooo tender to the touch. When I hurt myself on one of my hands, the sore never completely goes away. It just turns into a little scar. The bones in my fingers and toes feel... fragile (for lack of a better word) and hurt terribly if they're bent the wrong way or hit up against something. My ANA was "wickedly high" as described by the second rheumie I saw. I don't have the malar rash. I was on methotrexate for a little over six months and it did nothing for me. I was at the highest dose for the last month. I've been on plaquenil for about six weeks. My doc took me off the mtxte and is having me take prednisone ( 5 mgs. twice daily now). I've been doing this for almost a week. Does ANYONE have similar symptoms??? Could there be any hope for me that I might get full range of mobility back in my hands? Thanks for any info, advice, insight, etc.

lovebuda
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Personally, yes my body is very fragile and I am in constant pain. I don't even sign my name the same anymore b/c I have trouble gripping the pen. However there are other signs that you have to look out for as well. Being tired constantly, sun/light sensitivity, if you don't get the butterfly rash then I would look at the elbows and knees. Sometimes before an attack my knees will get really red like i've been crawling around on them all day and they are hot to the touch.

And yes there is hope for you. It's hard, very hard and nothing will be as it was but it will be better. Personally I cannot take any anti-inflamatory meds b/c of a kidney problem..but if you can I suggest you do that. And believe it or not excedrine migraine works great on the pain. But always keep in mind the more you do the more you can do. I get up every day at 5am and walk a mile to help my knees. It hurts at first but it really does help. For the hands get a stress ball or that hand putty, work your hands as much as possible. Soak your hands and feet. Don't sit a lot. Stand and walk as much as you can. I have found the longer I sit the more I stiffen up and the harder it is to losen up. =)

I hope some of this has helped you and if you have anymore questions I am here.

IloveHistory
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Kimntwins!

Welcome to the Forum! :D I'm really glad that you found us! :D

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

I am SO sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time :cry:, but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Feel better soon!