PDA

View Full Version : Pain Meds...What works?

tlujan1
06-02-2007, 03:03 PM
I am on Neurontin, Darviset, and Tramadol...I am still in pain.

What the heck works???? I am desperate!!!

Tanya

angela
06-03-2007, 06:08 PM
hi tanya, im so sorry that you're in pain and having a hard time figuring out what will work for you. i was in you situation until very recently.

i have sle with heart, lung, and brain involvement, vasculitis, mctd, and major peripheral neuropathy (nerve pain). i started with regular vicodin and vioxx when this all started in '04, then went to oxycontin (my long acting med) and tramadol for breakthru pain (bt), then the fentanyl patch for my long acting med(25, 50, and 75mcg) and norco (a stronger vicodin)for bt, then msir (morphine immediate release). i too was on neurontin but it was for my siezures and for my nerve pain, but that stops working after awhile because you reach a threshold with it and have to move on to somehting else (see my other posts on that).

finally, my neuro and roomie docs put me on KADIAN for my long acting along with LYRICA for nerve pain, and norco for bt pain and BINGO!!! i'm in heaven. i had forgotten what it was like to have anykind of pain level below a 6. :cry:

there are no side effects for hte kadian other than it's pricey, but soooo worth it. i had to show my insurance (blue cross of california ppo plan) that we had tried other things first, but no problem. i also have medicare and it was no problem. the lyrica though makes the luppie fog much thicker, so i tappered down on my dose. oh, it also makes you gain weight just like the dreaded prednisone of which im on too, along with mobic (meloxicam) for my nsaid, plaquinil and cellcept.

so to wrap up, i am on kadian for my long acting pain med and i take it eery 12 hours. i take lyrica for my nerve pain twice a day, and i take norco as needed for my break thru pain.

i do hope this helps you :!:

be well :wink:

kkelly
06-04-2007, 06:24 AM
wow, that is really good to know. I find Tramacet works the best for my severe pain and lots of motrin for everyday pain. Sometimes I take Aleve too but its not as good as motrin.
I hope you find something good soon....
Karen
PS - I know we all hate it but a whopping dose of prednisone is my first step for severe pain and it always brings everything in line within a day or so.

tlujan1
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I got sick one time and the doc put me on prednisone, and I never felt better. I can not be on it long because I am diabetic and it raises my suger levels. But, it would be so nice to be without pain.

I really need to get this under control.

Tanya

angela
06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
yes, you'll feel much better once you do. prednisone gives you a false high. its one of the side effects.

let us know what happens or if there's anyting i can do for you :wink:

bonnie
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I so empathize with what you are going through.

I don't know what pain meds will work best for you and I very much understand that you have to do what you can to get some relief from the pain so you don't lose your mind...I just wanted to mention so things that helped me through that time and helped lessen the cycle of pain.

% years ago I was a prisoner on my couch eating handfuls of vicodin taking kolonipin, sleeping meds, anti depressants...and I still spent most of my time curled in a ball weeeping from the pain. The meds caused rebound pain and mood swings...I never thought it would get better.

The plaquenil started to do it's job but one day my husband carried me outside and layed me in the grass...I watched our dogs play and I listened to the birds...I felt a tiny bit of relief...this went on each day until he had me taking a slow walk around the edge of our little yard...6 months later I was walking a few blocks a day and off the vicodin and kolonipin and onto the less narcotic ultracet (which my Lupus doctor feels actually teached the brain to feel less pain over time) which doesn't cause rebound pain.

I realized the best I felt was on these walks...now years later I still take a dose of ultracet during the worst part of my day...but I can use those hours of relief to take the now 4 mile hikes I can go on or to do pilates, tai chi, or yoga. I want to stress that for me it needed to be movement doing something for myself...not washing dishes or cleaning house. Those hikes are the only time of day I actually feel free of lupus and pain, and when I take them my pain levels are improved for the rest of the day.

I still have really bad days, some that are total loses if you know what I mean but the good days are really starting to tip the balance. I also started seeing a cog-behavioral therapist, the time spent with a therapist is probably one of the most valuable things a lupus patient can do. I cannot stress the importance of having one in your life enough.

I am starting Cymbalta which is supposed to be very effective in lessening over all pain...and whether we like to admit it or not everyone in this kind of pain has some level of depression, which just worsens the symptoms. I hope this will help me finally come to a place where I don't need the pain meds everyday.

I hope with all my heart that you find the pain medicines that give you a much needed break from your suffering...I just wanted to share my own experience, since I spent months curled up with my pain meds on the couch thinking I was in too much pain to do anything and in reality doing that only made my pain worse. For me pain medicine was an excellent tool to help me begin to move my body again (very slowly) and release the cycle of pain. And for me nothing has improved my pain more than the time I have spent reflecting with my shrink and being outdoors and moving.

Sometimes there isn't much you can do to fix the Lupus but we also sometimes forget that by improving our general health we inadvertantly improve the lupus...the stronger my body gets the less the lupus seems to effect it. My back hurt so bad all the time so I drugged myself up and worked out hard to make my back stronger, now I have very little back pain. I hope this helps.

I also want to say that xanax is also very effective on my bad days...relaxes the body and helps stop that cycle of the fear of pain causing the pain to be worse.

Good Luck

mlarie
06-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I take oxycodone 15mg. 4 times a day every day. I also just started on Cymbalta which seems to be working very well w/ my peripheral neurapathy and insomnia. I hope to someday not to need the pain meds to be able to function, but for the time being I couldn't get out of bed w/out them. I hope you find something that works for you soon! Good luck!

Lis_B
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Im not on any pain meds at the time. My GP doesn't like to prescribe them so he told me to take the motrin and tylenol arthritis. Thats not helping. I go to the rheumie on the 27th and I am praying that I get some comfort and relief soon. My whole body hurts today but more so my knees, shoulders and elbows. Anyone know anything else I can take that may help until I get to the rheumie?

enigma variation31
06-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Only problem with vicodin.. is a side effect is itchy skin, and isnt our skin itchy enough?? Depends on what type of pain your having.. but ive found mobic to work very well for my joint pain, and my worse on is in my big toe joint ..it feels like fire! Mobic (gernaric is Meloxicam) works great and is NOT a codiene base,,its a ansaid i believe..but it works..and you can get it a **wally world...on their generic drug program for only $4 my doc prescibes it in 3 month increments so its $12..Great price for something that can work...I used vicidon, davacet, loratab, oh so many and this doesnt drug me out too. so talk to your doc about it