PDA

View Full Version : Leaping for Lupus

LupusLeaper
06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
HI,
Just found this forum. I was diagnosed with lupus in 1989 right after my first baby was born. I had three more babies after that. Then the lupus started to progress and I got sicker and sicker. To make a very long story short... I ended up in the hospital in 2004 and was put on life support. The Dr.'s didn't give me much of a chance. My family started to make funeral arrangements. My lungs were hemorrhaging and they couldn't get them to stop. My kidneys were failing also.

Obviously I didn't die! I pulled through in spite of the Dr's. Maybe to spite them. I had to be on Cytoxan 75mgs. every single day for over a year after that. I was also on huge doses of prednisone. The drugs are horrible. I was told by one Dr. that it's like using a jack hammer to drive a thumbtack. But that is all they had.

After my friends and family watched me go through this horrible experience we had a fund raiser to gather funds and money for lupus research. We did this through the LFA in 2005. It was called The Leap For Lupus. We broke the Pacific Northwest Women's skydiving record at that event and raised over $13,000 for research.

This year we have created our own non-profit foundation and now we're having another event here soon. This time we are going to attempt to break the Pacific Northwest record skydive of both men and women. We'll attempt to get 70+ people together in freefall. 100% of all the profits from this and everything else we do will go to lupus research. All of our board members and people working with us are volunteers.

This new foundation we've started is taking off better than I'd hoped! I've got drop zones across the country contacting me and asking if they can join in and have their own Leap For Lupus events! We're collecting sponsors and donors and pledges. Soon I hope to have a list of drop zones on our web page that will let anyone take a coupon, downloaded from our web site, to them and make a jump and part of the proceeds will go to Leap For Lupus for research. People all over the country could be "Leaping for Lupus" to find a cure.

Anyway that is pretty much my story so far. I'm really hoping to get you all better drugs or a cure soon! At the very least, more people working on it. That is my goal! I need it as much as you do!

Hugs to all~

Valinda Mitchell
Leap For Lupus Foundation
President
www.leapforlupus.org

Missy
06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I read about this in our local newspapers and Lupus foundation Chapter.

Thanks for all you do!

Saysusie
06-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Valinda :lol:
Welcome to our family!!! So, you are definately here for a reason and it is quite obvious that God had a plan for you!
I've heard about your "Leap For Lupus" events and I feel like I am meeting a celebrity :lol:
I am so happy that you joined us, please keep us posted on your event and I will make sure to watch it when it occurs!!

Again....Welcome to the family
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

TERIOD
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
in 1983, i missed soldier field in chicago on a show jump(25 knot winds, shouldnt have jumped) but the show must go on, and landed hanging from the els tracks,
Just to be able to jump with lupus is a great feat in itself,let alone managing to set up a charity along with it I have to say GOOD JOB, AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :lilangel:

may all your landings be soft

LupusLeaper
06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey Valinda :lol:
Welcome to our family!!! So, you are definately here for a reason and it is quite obvious that God had a plan for you!
I've heard about your "Leap For Lupus" events and I feel like I am meeting a celebrity :lol:
I am so happy that you joined us, please keep us posted on your event and I will make sure to watch it when it occurs!!

Again....Welcome to the family
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Thanks for the welcome! You are so sweet!

No, I'm far from a Celebrity! I'm just a person with lupus with good friends that want to help. Of course I couldn't do this by myself. Some days I'm lucky to get myself out of bed much less run a charity! I'm sure everyone here knows how it is! But when I was sick so many people were so upset and wanted to do something. So I've rallied them all up and now we are doing it! With their help hopefully we can make a difference. Get the word out, raise some fund to get us some new and better drugs, treatments or a cure!

Skydiving is a great attention getter... I'm hoping to capture the attention of a lot more people in order for them to notice our disease and hopefully do something about it. Also there are so many people out there with lupus. When a loved one gets sick, what can the family and friends do to help them?? I found that other than giving blood or something like that there isn't anything out there they can do. They feel so helpless. Now there is something they can do!! They can go make a "leap for lupus". "How far would you go to help your loved one with lupus?" "Would you jump out of an airplane to help find the cure?"

We are still working on the web site but eventually I'm hoping to put pictures up of people that have made the "leap for lupus" right on the site so we can see who these brave people are that are trying to help us out.

We are also trying to obtain more sponsors so if you know of any business' that would want to donate money for the cause let me know!

Valinda~

LupusLeaper
06-05-2007, 05:12 PM
in 1983, i missed soldier field in chicago on a show jump(25 knot winds, shouldnt have jumped) but the show must go on, and landed hanging from the els tracks,
Just to be able to jump with lupus is a great feat in itself,let alone managing to set up a charity along with it I have to say GOOD JOB, AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :lilangel:

may all your landings be soft

Wow! Your another skydiver! Very cool! Are you still able to jump? How many jumps have you gotten?

Like I've said before it takes a lot of people to make an organization like this run. I'm not doing it alone. AND, I have a lot of help in order to skydive as well. I'm not able to pack my own parachute anymore because I'm so "arthritic" from lupus I can't close the pack or anything. My husband helps me with that or my son will pack for me if I really need him to. I also can't leave from the outside of the airplane anymore because I can't hang on for very long. I'm really weak! So everyone is very accommodating where that is concerned. Everyone will design a skydive where I can leave from the inside of the plane. People are very understanding once the learn what lupus is and how they can help out. Now we just need to have more people know what lupus is!

Take care!
Valinda~

TERIOD
06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
its been a long time, about 23 years, busted my legs up pretty good when i was younger, I was back up, support for navy parachute team, chuting stars, between 40-50 jumps, as you know once a adrenaline junky, rock climbing and motor cycle riding, stock car racing, so on and so forth to get my adrenaline fix since then, i dont even consider those things any more, i guess ive mellowed out, ill get you the name of the local jump club to see if they can come up with anything for your charity, if you ever have an event in n. ca give me a call, maybe ill come out and be dz crew or sumtin

LupusLeaper
06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
its been a long time, about 23 years, busted my legs up pretty good when i was younger, I was back up, support for navy parachute team, chuting stars, between 40-50 jumps, as you know once a adrenaline junky, rock climbing and motor cycle riding, stock car racing, so on and so forth to get my adrenaline fix since then, i dont even consider those things any more, i guess ive mellowed out, ill get you the name of the local jump club to see if they can come up with anything for your charity, if you ever have an event in n. ca give me a call, maybe ill come out and be dz crew or sumtin

That would be awesome! I think it would be great to have all the dz's across the country would participate in the Leap For Lupus and have their own events. Hopefully some day soon we can do that! I'm just getting started! But if you could, go ahead and contact any DZ near you and ask them about participating in the LFL and give them our web site. I think the more people they get to call them and ask them about it, the more likely they will be to actually do it! :D

TERIOD
06-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Ill shoot them off an email first thing in the morning

IloveHistory
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi LupusLeaper!

Welcome to the Forum! :D I'm really glad that you found us! :D

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

I am SO sorry to hear that you have been going through such a rough time :cry:, but I'm glad to hear that you are better than you were and that you survived against the odds!

I really admire what you are doing and will keep you and your efforts in my prayers! :D You are very brave to skydive! :wink:

Keep well! :)