PDA

View Full Version : methotrexate

karenann
10-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Hi..just joined the forum today. I'm 41 years old and been diagnosed with lupus for 6 years. Recently i started back on methotrexate after a 2 year break. has anyone ever been on methotrexate for an extended period of time and did it help? I am taking .5cc by injection weekly. This is a higher dose than i took a couple years ago.

stjames13
10-12-2002, 02:46 AM
No I have never taken that...though I will look itup for my own purposes and education, One thing I have found out about the medical profession is that they need all the help they an get from us (the patients) as LUPS not being in the top 10 of diseases the FDA considers to be important enough to do more research....we have to do it ourselves and bring it to the attention of your rheumotoligst or personal physician...The more you know the better your chances are for keeping it at bay as long as possible.

stjames13

Saysusie
10-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Karenann; My daughter was on Methotrexate (the exact same dosage as you) on a weekly basis for approximately two (2) years. Her side effects included nausea for approximately 24 hours (non stop) and extreme fatigue. On her Methotrexate days, she was pretty much confined to the bed! However, on the other six days of the week, she was able to hold down a job and maintain a somewhat normal life. However, I have a friend with a sister disease who has been using methotrexate in your dosage along with prednisone for 12 years now and she did not have ANY of the side effects that my daughter had. She is doing well, not in remission but her disease is under control! Methotrexate is generally used for cancer patients (thus the nausea and fatigue) but is used more and more with Lupus patients. However, Methotrexate can cause an inflammatory response in your lungs much like asthma symptoms (chest pressure, nonproductive cough and shortness of breath). If you need any more information or help, please write again
Saysusie

Faraday
10-23-2002, 11:42 AM
From http://www.GlycoStory.com/88888888

4 stories match the search parameter lupus Page 1 of 1

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy / Lupus / Fibromyalgia [Listen to this story]
Summary: Jerri was a very active woman who enjoyed a number of physical activities. After being involved in an accident, some discs in her neck were fused and she was in constant pain and was unable to leave her home. After being on glyconutrients for 3 days, her pain began to lessen. Today, she is living pain free and is starting to skydive again.

Systemic Lupus Recovery [Listen to this story]
Summary: Terri Mock was an avid musician and vocalist. With her lupus condition, she began to degenerate quickly, and neared the point of not wanting to live anymore. After taking glyconutritionals, her health greatly improved after 3 months.

Lupus Arthritis In Arms And Hands [Listen to this story]
Summary: Lanette experienced extreme pain at times due to the lupus condition which she developed in her arms and hands. Rather than taking painkillers, she opted for glyconutritionals, and since taking them has no more pain.

Auto-Immune Disorders / Fibromyalgia [Listen to this story]
Summary: Was diagnosed with lupus, degenerative discs, fibromyalgia, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, bursitis and had nerve damage (myopathy).

butterfly
11-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Hi-

I am on .8cc a week of injected methotrexate. I've been taking it since 1999. I do get tired the day after and I sometimes have stomach cramping, but it has worked. I was able to reduce my prednisone to 2 mg. a day, something I had been trying to do since 1992! Good luck. -Susan

Saysusie
11-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Butterfly;
Thank you for responding! I am happy that the methotrexate is working for you! I hope that it works for Karenann as well!
How do you feel most of the time? Well, I hope!
Always take care of yourself!
Saysusie

Saysusie
11-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Faraday;
Are you still posting testimonials???