PDA

View Full Version : pleursy and alternative medicines

melissak
01-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi-- I am new to this site, my name is Melissa and I am 32 living in nyc--was diagnosed in 97. not in remission, but the last 3 years have been able to manage it better through accupuncture and Chinese Herbs and vitamins. Have kidney involvement and now have another round of pleursy which has put me back on Prednisone and Plaquenil. Any suggestions on managing this without these 2 medications? I am a firm believer in alternate therapies and tend to feel worse from the medications--don't want to start taking drugs to counteract other drugs. Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

Missy
02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm new and a Melissa as well! I'm looking into alternative medicine as we speak, so I'm glad to hear that you've been successful - my Aunt keeps her Graves disease in order with acupuncture, Chinese herbs, and Yoga (after the Rx's made her hair fall out). I'm newly diagnosed, with kidney problems. I'm on Prednisone, but my Rhuematologist said Plaquenil not strong enough, so I'm doing Cellcept. Did you have blood pressure problems with your kidney issues?

I've actually been dealing quite well with the side effects of the prednisone - I think! I get a little moody -ok my husband might say A LOT moody. Mostly, I notice my emotions are very raw - I get teary at Oprah or whatever. I think it depends on the quantity you are taking, too. I'm taking 30 mg a day. My Rheumatologist says people tend to get really revved up on Prednisone and feel like they have a lot of energy, or they are very emotional. I had two days of the revved up ( I could have used a few more days of that). He said I have any excuse I want for moodiness/PMS. He says lots of his patients say they feel like they have PMS when on Prednisone.

I hope you are successful at dealing with the meds. I'm interested in hearing what kind of alternative therapies were useful for you.

carlau
08-30-2004, 06:19 PM
hi!
i've been on pred , chemo and 8 other drugs- am only on 2 now- 10mg of paxil and 40mg of lisinopril (blood pressure drug)

i have done a bunch of alternative stuff including acupuncture, massage, supplements (high quality probiotic multi vitamins, fish oil, milk thistle and digestive enzymes- all very important for us folks w/ lupus) and have started feeling much better- my chronic pain has subsided! since I' been daily taking a spoonful of "just barley" in water. green drionks are so powerful for detoxing the system- but stay away from alfalfa- which is in many of them. just barley is JUST barley.

also i read a *great* book called
Lupus: alternative therapies that work. it's on amazon.com and some other places.

keep fighting the good fight- there are lots of solutions out there!