PDA

View Full Version : Plaquenil,, fading dark circles?

sary
05-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Am I just hallucinating or are the dark circles i've been trying to get rid of starting to fade away after starting plaquenil? is this even possible? and I think my skin is getting a little darker, slightly. Has anyone had this experience?

MARYCAIN
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Skin discoloration is a possible side effect of plaquenil. It can also cause discoloration of your fingernails. Usually it is not serious, but you should let your doctor know about it as soon as you can.

littlered
05-20-2007, 08:01 AM
For your dark circles, find a good concealer that isn't too "cakey"...apply with patting touches under your eyes, blend well, and be sure to add in the iner conrner o your eyes and top bridge of your nose, because you are probably dark there, too.

Also, try using a white shimmery powder highlight in that same inner corner of your eyes and the top sides of the bridge of your nose. Not too much, but enough to reflect light. Hope this helps. Love, Kathy

sary
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
No ha-ha, I mean the medication has been fading them. But thanks, i'll use that tip when I don't get a good nights sleep :)

sary
05-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh and I just realised, i've started breaking out like crazy, I gather that's also from the meds? does this normally go away after a week or so or do I have to put up with this?

chichibug
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Sary,
When I first started taking Plaquenil, I definitely experienced an increase in skin breakouts...
I've been on it for years now, and I didn't even notice that it's gone now... but yeah, for awhile, my chin really broke out badly.
--Kristin

sary
05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh jeez nevermind, my eye's are like BLACK underneath now, I look like someone punched me. At first they were starting to fade away, and now today they are soo bad. I'm so embarassed now.

Saysusie
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Don't be embarrassed...instead - join the legions of us who are card carrying members of the "RACOON EYES CLUB". Our membership is growing by leaps and bounds..at least almost everyone on this forum! All you need to join is to have at least one black eye that never goes away and gets darker when you have a flare-up.
We are not an exclusive club and our members are proud to wear their RACOON EYES on a daily basis (like we have a choice - huh?)!
So, down with monotone eyes - come join the two-toned eye club known as: RACOON EYES!! ALL YOU MEMBERS OUT THERE SAY "HEY!!!"

Saysusie

camyskitties
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
OK I did not know that Plaquenil could make you break out. I already break out enough as it is. I finally got a referral to a rheumy and I know he will probably suggest or recommend Plaq for my rash. Well, maybe not...we will see. But if he does I guess my face will have extra knots on it. GREAT!!! It really sucks being a 38 year old mother of two that looks like a teenager b/c of this horrible acne.

chichibug
05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Saysusie--Hey, you're my neighbor there in Victorville :) I was just there for a dog show in March at your college grounds... Victorville is really growing!!
I had no idea that these dark circles were common with Lupus patients! I thought I just looked OLD for my age (39). Funny! I have been covering them up with makeup for years, but lately gave up and just "dealt" with them.

"I'm a member, I'm a member, of the Raccoon Eyes Club!"

Camyskitties--I totally understand about being a 38 year old mom who looks like a teenager due to the acne... ;) I was, too... but after awhile, the acne stopped (I am still taking the Plaquenil) and I'm okay... so hopefully you will be too.

--Kristin

sary
05-23-2007, 08:09 PM
The thing is though, i'm so pale. I'm like whiter than rice! so I look ill with my dark circles, so I never really get the whole "butyoudon'tlooksick" I wish I did! when people find out I have Lupus they go "oh it really shows" like oh, thanks.

Not only do I feel craptacular, I look it too.

Anyways, I was going to say something helpful, what was it? .... hmm.. oh right, yes. I believe the acne sideeffects to plaquneil only last a few weeks.

Have any of you ladies discovered tea tree oil yet? or witch hazel and aloe? and if you have chronic hives from your Lupus, it doubles up as anti-itch remedy too. Maybe your acne is due to your Lupus, or possibley flucuating hormones - which also can be related to Lupus, but anyways, the tea tree oil, which hazel and aloe really help with drying up your pimples and making them heal faster.

Sometimes aloe can be burning, so if it makes your skin burn then skip it! but to others it can be very soothing. Anyhoo, after you wash your face either put on straight aloe with a cotton ball, or put on a witch hazel and aloe toner, then moisturize! tea tree oil you can use as a spot treatment on your pimples, which will speed up the healing and help prevent scars.

Also some acne has been caused from zinc defiencies, and some people have gotten results from taking a supplement (i'm not sure of the right dosage, but I believe you're not suppose to exceed 100mg). Along with flaxseed oil, which is also good for inflammed joints. Make sure it doesn't interfere with your medication though if you do decide to.

Anyways, i'm sure you've probably heard all kinds of different remedies, and probably have heard these, but I thought it would be worth a shot to tell you.

P.s. Sometimes with aloe, it can make acne worse before it gets better, but when it gets better it really gets better. If you're using aloe, try to use from the plant or buy pure juice (no other ingredients) you'll have to get it at a health food store, other aloe products (in the sunburn section at your grocery store) won't work.

sary
05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
*continuing post

I also forgot to mention that if you're a bit sensitive to the aloe juice, try diluting it half half in water.

Honey is also a good face mask, especially if you have inflammed skin like me (I don't really get the lesions mind you) and also has anti-bacterial properties. Again, sometimes it can make acne worse before it gets better. Skip it if you're allergic to bees or pollen.

Papaya contains sulfar which has shown to be beneficial with acne, and papaya is soothing to inflammed skin. You can mush it up and use it as a face mask.

Saysusie
05-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey Chi Chi;
Yes, Victorville is not the same city that it was when we moved here to get out of the city. It is no longer a rural area; homes and businesses keep popping up all around us.
Once, Bear Valley Road was a two lane road with 3 stop signs and it took us 10 minutes to get from SVL to the freeway (5 miles). It is now a five lane thoroughfare and it takes 30-45 minutes to travel that same five miles!! We are now a metropolis :lol:
Are you here in the High Desert or in Tehachapi?

Welcome to the "Racoon Eyes" lol

Saysusie

chichibug
05-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Ain't that the truth, Saysusie!
I planned on making that trip to the show (on Bear Valley Road) with no traffic--I was shocked that it took me 30 minutes to get there once I turned onto BV Road. (like you said--it used to be a 5 minute trip!)

I'm in Tehachapi--actually, above Tehachapi, in Alpine Forest. We love it here. It's very quiet. It's chilly still--and the plants are just now starting to get leafed out. (They have a long way to go yet...)

Thanks for the welcome :) I am like Sary, my skin is so pale it makes things look worse. I tried on some new glasses (vision is quickly leaving me haha) in black frames--the optometrist said... mmmmNO. And then he tried to come up with a PC way to tell me that I was far too pale for black frames LOL!! I was cracking up.

Have a great day,
Kristin