PDA

View Full Version : hi there

Shea508
05-17-2007, 06:28 PM
My name is Shea, I'm 40, live with my cats in a tiny apt here in Westport MA, recently re-transplanted back to New England after being down south for over 25 yrs. Ive had my trials and tribulations as we all have with dr's, was left untreated for years with symptoms- even severely misdiagnosed and put on meds that made my life just awful for several years... Have some excellent lupus and yoga books, & yoga dvds I would highly recommend.. Anyhoo, I have put a post to the new england support group area - looking for support in SE MA area. Right now I'm in a bad flare-up :cry: , more marked kidney problems, general joint/body inflammation, and pericarditis - again so please excuse my brevity and non-connected thoughts. I would like to make some new friends in the area, so please do respond or write to me directly..

utenutter
05-18-2007, 05:45 AM
hello and welcome,

any question there are very knowledgeable people on this site that willhelp you, or if you need to chat to any one we will be here

shane

MARYCAIN
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi,. Shea, and welcome. I imagine going back to the New England weather must be a change after the South for so many years. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time right now - have you found a doctor in your area to manage your lupus?

Shea508
05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Thank you both for responding so fast! :D :shock: :D wow.. lol... Well yesterday was a bad day, symptom-wise, only had one other day that bad in the past actually... But today is much better :) !

I made a post to the support groups area, so that was my initial thought beyond - yes - trying to find a new rheumatologist here. I have to go up to VT to see my persent doc on Monday morning.

Yes, the weather is much harder to take for the moment, but as long as I stay active and take my meds I do pretty good overall...

I guess I'm one of the few people Ive ever knew who likes it hot and staemy instead of cool and dry, lol...

camyskitties
05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Welcome Shea

Hope you will feel right at home here. Everyone is so nice and understanding. I really like it here since I have joined the group. It's a great source of support and encouragement any time you need someone to talk to!

tbird
05-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Shea

I am new here also and everyone is really nice. I hope you find a great Rheumy up there. Take Care 8)

Shea508
05-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Thank you both so very much! I sincerely appreciate the very positive nature of the people who post here. Most sites i've tried are more like being in a b*tching session :? rather than positive reinforcement, and I am so glad I found my way here! :D I think we all get down in the dumps over this or that sometimes, but the best thing I have found is to be proactive and learn as much as you can about whatever you can do to help yourself so those down times arent quite as hard to deal with...

I know that doing Yoga and meditation have both been really helpful for me over the years, as well as cutting the dairy products from my diet - things like that which end up making a noticeable impact on my daily life... I know from being so badly misdiagnosed several years back that even my family doesnt tend to be very supportive with my having Lupus, and its really nice to be able to talk with others who are going thru similar things, so you dont feel quite as alone.

I cant even begin to tell you how many people come right out and ask me if I'm contagious, etc, which tends to blow my mind - strangely enough each time it happens, lol... So I guess I can tell you all that my best and worst quality is that I'm honest & open and believe others are the same way, lol...

Again, thanks for writing back, it was nice to get online and see there had been more responses! Hope everyone is having a superb weekend!

Shea

magistramarla
05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Shea,
I envy you! I too am a transplanted Yankee living in the South and I would REALLY love to move back North. I've noticed that I felt much, much better when we were visiting in the Catskills a couple of years ago. We are trying to get kids and finances situated so that we can move out of Texas in a couple of years.
Marla

Shea508
05-21-2007, 07:18 PM
LOL Marla! :lol:
You know something, all the years I spent down south, over a few states (but never texas, unfortunately) I always felt the very same way. But you know, I miss the pace of the south. The ability to sit out on your porch and talk with people walking/riding by, the way people wave hello - no matter if they know you or not... You just dont find that atmosphere up North, and those are the kinds of things that I miss the very most. I really enjoyed knowing my neighbors and sitting out on the porch, playing guitar in the moon and candlelight and having a pint or two on occasion, lol.. I encourage you to find the beauty in where you are living, because strangely enough the place you feel like you cant wait to get away from might really be a place you end up missing very much! I'll get off my soap box now, lol... :wink:
Where are you in Texas? A friend of mine has a son who runs several really nice restaurants in the Galveston area. But like I said I have never been, but would love to at some point!
Shea

Saysusie
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Shea :lol:
I'm sorry that I am so late in welcoming you. Been down with an awful flare caused by a simple case of the flu. I guess most of us know how that happens. Anyway, I see that you've discovered how kind, thoughtful and caring the people in this family are and I am very happy that you found us!
I hope that you will join us often and continue to bless us with your "Southern Hospitality" even though you are now living up North :lol: :D
You are never alone here and you will always find someone here to answer your questions, understand your concerns and to just be there to listen when you need it!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Shea508
05-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your warm welcome Saysusie! :D I know how those flare-ups can be all too well :( , lol, and I wish you the warmth of homemade chicken soup, the comfort of a soft and fuzzy blanket, and of course a very speedy recovery from your flare-up... I've been in a flare now for a few months, actually havent had one last this long previously, and my rheumy thinks I had a tia last week (when I was 'sure' it was only a seizure :oops: ), which was a low point for me in a flare so far. But I'm doing much better this week - a world of difference so far, lol... I'm really loving my new job, the only problem is waiting for my first paycheck till the 31st, lol... I really enjoy that this job actually is a joy to go to and I really enjoy the people I have the opportunity to work with!
Get better soon!!
:) Shea

Saysusie
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank You...like you, this Flare has lasted a bit longer than usual. It seems to take longer and longer to recover, but I am working very hard at it :lol:

Congratulations on your new job. It is not often that we are able to find a job that we enjoy going to and people that we enjoy working with. You are very lucky!! I wish you all the best..both in your job and in recovering from this flare.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

IloveHistory
05-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi Shea508!

Welcome to the Forum! :D I'm glad that you found us! :D

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

CONGRATULATIONS on your new job! :D :bday:

Keep well! :)

Shea508
05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I so very much appreciate the thoughtfulness of what everyone has been writing! I have been quite alone - literally with the exception of my cats - for any company for a while, except the occasional guy who I meet and think he is a nice guy then he turns into the "early" version of Jeremy from the movie Shopgirl, LOL... I'm a hopeless optimist I guess...
Yes, today has been rough on me physically. I really hate being pitied, and unfortunately it ends up either being that or people just walk away leaving you wondering 'what did I do?'... Yeah, I'm tired and I appreciate being able to come here & read your thoughts and not feel so damm alone for the couple of hours I'm awake at home and not at work. This weekend will be tough I think to be alone...
I'm having trouble with my left arm since that TIA last week, but have been trying to go to work each day and do my best (where the pity seems to be entering the picture). I cant figure out if I want to cry when I come home from the pain, from the feeling of being pitied, or just from being so sick & tired of being sick & tired. Maybe its all of the above... Going to bed now before I drive myself biserk. Tomorrow is another day and hopes it will be much better not only for me but for everyone!
Shea

Saysusie
05-26-2007, 12:30 PM
How are you today? I know how frustrating it can be to have no one truly understand your Lupus and then to pity you instead of comforting you! It is quite normal to feel sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
We are here to give you comfort, support, understanding and acceptance. I hope that you start to feel better soon - emotionally and physically!!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello, Shea. I want to add my 'welcome' to all of the others. You'll find a lot of support here (I think you've seen some of that already!) and people who really understand what's happening to you. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new job. That's going to make your life a lot easier. Nothing worse than plodding along doing something you hate 40 hours a week! Are you recovering from your TIA? Hope you find a good doctor close by. Makes all the difference, doesn't it? Please 'stop by' often..there's almost always someone on line to 'listen' and you'll soon have responses to your questions. Sometimes it's good just to have a place to find a friend. I spend a lot of time alone, too (with my two cats!) because my husband travels. There are a lot of cat people here...read some of Teriod's posts for laughs! :lol: :lol: Take care, Shea.

Jody

Shea508
05-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey All,
I'm sorry I havent posted in a couple days, I've been so tired when I get home and I worked today too, but things are getting better overall... :)

I actually got asked out on a date today-for tonight but I cancelled becuz his teeenage daughter has mono right now and I'm afraid he could be a 'carrier' right now - cant get that to top everything else that has been going on even tho I really dont want to be home alone right now on a long weekend... Its not the end of the world or anything, I'm just the type who prefers to be out & about when at all possible I guess... But I declined the date on that reason, and he did understand (I had told him I have Lupus - I stay very honest with anyone I talk to with dating in mind - just want them to understand who i am and what life with me could be like).. I feel that honest is always the way to be.. I have to admit that most men really dont want to be around when they realize what Lupus entails in the long run, but its better to know that up-front than figure it out like I did when I was married.. :roll:

Thanks again for being here :D , its been a very long couple of weeks with very little real support besides you all...
Shea

chichibug
05-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello Shea,
Welcome to the board. I am still new here, and boy--it's SO nice to be able to post something and have people really "understand". (Makes me feel less crazy, eh?)
I am sorry you had to cancel your date, but I do think it was neccessary, due to the potential illness. That would NOT be worth it ;)
I'm glad you're feeling better, though, and hope you find something fun to do this weekend. You're smart to be up front about your lupus with potential relationship "guys".
Enjoy the long weekend,
Kristin