PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts

sary
05-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Well I have a high chance of having Lupus (read chest inflammation on the symptoms board)

I currently take martial arts, well I haven't for a while since i've had to increase my hours at my job, and it's hard to work a fulls day of work and then do martial arts.

My worry is, I do a lot of kicking (kicking bags, sometimes people when i'm sparring) and I was wondering what effect that will that have on my joints? I already have joint pain, but it doesn't seem to change significantly after class.

I tested negative for arthritis, but I know that if you have Lupus there is a chance you can develope it. I was just wondering if taking martial arts would increase that risk.

Missy
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi - sorry you haven't gotten any responses yet! I don't think that specific actions can increase the chance of arthritis, but it's a good question for your doc.

As for me, I used to do martial arts - pre-lupus. I tried to get back into it once a lot of my acute problems were better, but I'm concerned it would drain too much of my energy. I did talk to a sensei about it and tried a class. The sensei I worked with said that I could just take things at my own speed, and do less than other students. It was also a women's class and a small one, so it would have been perfect. I still think about it sometimes.......maybe sometime!

Good luck!

sary
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
My instructor wouldn't have a problem with taking things at my own pace, he's a very nice man. It is also a small class, and i'm on a friendly bases with everyone.

I'm just worried that it might cause stress on my joints. If my joint pain doesn't get worse after class, does anyone think that would be okay?

Thank you missy for your input.