PDA

View Full Version : dealing with colds

papillon
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
So I'm on Cellcept and it seems to be kicking my immue system's butt like it's supposed but now I've called a cold. it's not allergies unfortunately. It's definitely a cold. What do you guys do to deal with viruses while on an immunosuppresive. I used to have a great regimen of Zinc and OJ and vitamin C but I don't think that's allowed this time around.

chichibug
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Papillon,
I have tried lots of things, but nothing seems to keep me from catching everything that passes me by...
For a cold, though, in the first few days Zycam seems to help. The nose swab thing. I did that for awhile, and it seemed to help a bit.
Other than that, well, I just stay inside and away from people when I can--and if I am around people, I be sure I'm not near anyone that's sick.
Good luck,
Kristin

Missy
05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I was on Cellcept for a long time, too.

When I got a cold, I did the saline spray up the nose, my regular vitamins and minerals (no zinc, but OJ/Vit C should be ok), a lot of sleep, and sometimes some sudafed (with your doctor's ok).

Good luck! Oddly, all in all, I got a lot fewer viruses while I was on Cellcept than before (before diagnosis); however, that could be due to the fact that ever since I was diagnosed, I haven't worked with children. They are definitely carriers of some of the most fun germs!

Ruth1980
05-08-2007, 03:48 AM
When I get a cold I stay away from Zinc, but I still use OJ and Vitamin C. I also drink hot lemonade with honey and that helps. Cellcept can really do a number on your system can't it? I watch how much exposure I get to germs etc and I actually have had far fewer colds than I used to. I hope you are feeling better! --Ruth

papillon
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
thanks for the great advice. i've been on cellcept for 4 months now and this is my first cold so that's pretty cool. hopefully i'll kick it soon.

papillon
05-25-2007, 03:51 PM
just so you know. just now over the cold. almost 3 weeks. Geez.

chichibug
05-27-2007, 02:49 PM
That's not too bad-- 3 weeks.
I'm glad you're feeling better!
--Kristin