PDA

View Full Version : Rhonda

rhonday
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi there
I'm new here and in the process of figuring out if i have lupus. i do have Discoid lupus on my face and have been able to treat it with sunscreens but the sun rash i get all over my body will not stop even with a spf 45 i now stay covered all the time and stay indoors alot :( they do say i have now that i have lupus in my body and I'm now wondering if the pain i get in my wrists in the summer would be from that.. i have noticed that other ppl get flare ups from just going in the sun even if they dont have the discoid type. i have more testing to be done and should know more at the end of this month.

camyskitties
05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
You can not "treat" discoid lupus with sunscreen. There are medications that treat discoid lupus but sunscreen does not treat it. Sunscreen can *prevent* a flare but it usually does not *treat* it. Not from what I know of anyway.

How did *they* come to a conclusion that you have lupus in your body? Have you had bloodwork done of any kind, or any other tests? If you have lupus, the pain in your wrist would more than likely be there throughout the year not the summer only. The sun can trigger flare ups including pain and rash, yes but it can happen year round.

Sounds like you might want to ask your doctors some more questsions and get a little more informed. The nice people on here will be able to give you more advice than I can and more information too. Hope you feel better!

MARYCAIN
05-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Hello, Rhonda, and welcome. Unfortunately, even with "discoid" lupus, many people have widespread symptoms that go beyond the skin lesions, such as fatigue, photosensitivity, or joint pain. About 10 percent of people with discoid lupus will go on to develop systemic lupus, so if systemic lupus is suspected, it's important to get the right kind of medical care. Are you seeing a rheumatologist?

You mentioned that your wrist pain is noticeable in the summer - is there a change in your activities in the summer? Things you don't normally do during the rest of the year, like sports, exercise, or a summer job, could be aggravating your wrists. Is there anything you can think of that you do differently in summer?

As Camy mentioned, sunscreen may help prevent or reduce the UV exposure that triggers pgotosensitivity, but by itself, it cannot treat the underlying disease. Reducing sun exposure is only one aspect of managing discoid lupus - the lesions may need treatment to prevent scarring. And there are medications available to heal the lesions, and hopefully reduce the number of further lesions. So please talk to your doctor about your treatment options. I hope your testing goes well, and that you are able to get some answers soon.

El
05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I never had a rash, but wrist pain was one of my very first symptoms.

IloveHistory
05-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Rhonday!

Welcome to the Forum! :D

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

Good luck with the testing!

Keep well! :)