PDA

View Full Version : sunscreens

utenutter
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
hello all,
just wondering i have read on here some time that some of you use a 60+ upf sunscreen if this is what i though i read (we only have 30+ as the highest in australia) can you please reply what brand and if there is a website on the bottle for me

thank you

shane

TERIOD
05-04-2007, 05:47 AM
hows it going shane!!
neutrogena
ultra sheer
dry touch sunblock
spf 70
http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_329.asp?lProductLineID=15

this is real real weird, this is the first time ive talked cosmetics with another guy, im not so sure about this................ :D 8) 8) 8)

utenutter
05-04-2007, 06:58 PM
yeah not to bad, teriod
how bout you,
thanks for the reply,at the moment just trying to sort some more stuff out cause i still have alot of landscaping etc to do in my yard and i need something stronger as i cover fully up wear big hats etc, the only part exposed is my hands and face and i really coat myself with 30+ sunscreen and i was outside the other day back filling a new retaining wall and i was in the sun for about 4 -6 hrs and i have really broke out bad with my rash and other stuff as well,

all so i have had alot of trouble with work cause i dont know if you have read any of my other post but i run a printing machine and we run a process call uv curing and it affects me really badly, but it looks as if i could be moved to another position which maybe worse as i will be storeman and sun may come through window etc at times so i thought if i can track down a heavier grade of sunscreen i might be able to work alittle more outside and also benifit me at work.

what do you do for work?
how old are you?
thanks for listening

no need to worry about talking cosmetics hear, no weird thoughts etc as i am married with 3 children

look after youself man, be talkin to you.

shane

TERIOD
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
im 44, one teenager,married

when i was working i was a mechanic and going to school for geographic informations systems

utenutter
05-05-2007, 08:04 AM
are you very sunsensitive if you are do you find this helps your more and you can go outside more often. also i am a keen fisherman so if this does work i might be able to head out on the water again though the day

shane

TERIOD
05-05-2007, 12:19 PM
sorry man, i have to get back to ya on this, i cant think too clearly right now

Ruth1980
05-05-2007, 02:18 PM
utenutter, I use the Neutrogena spf 70 sunscreen, and I can honestly swear by that product. I am extremely sun sensitive and a friend of mine reccomended that sunscreen. I like it for several reasons, one being that it is absorbed into the sun super easily, it isn't greasy or thick and gloppy like some of them are, it also doesn't have too much of scent so thats a plus. I have found that for me since it gives such a great protection I am able to stay out in the sun much longer before I have any of the negative effects of the sun. I like to fish too, and this I feel is the best one to take for a long day of fishing. Best of luck!

utenutter
05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
thanks ruth1980 can you buy it over the counter there we have neutrogena products here i will look deeper in to it, teroid you forward a web site to buy from can either of you let me know please if on the bottle has a e-mail adress to contact or even complain about products if there is that will be great cause i will e-mail them to find out more about it, i will go to some shops locally as well to see what they can help me with.

thanks for your time
muchly appriciated

shane

TERIOD
05-05-2007, 04:45 PM
to answer your question from earlier, yes ive gotten very sensitive to the sun in the last year or so, i try to keep my daytime activities to minimum, this sunscreen seems to help alot, im pretty much an outdoor person, you name i do it in the woods, or try to

www.neutrogena.com
is the address on the tube

camyskitties
05-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Is the Neutrogena 70+ sunscreen that you all are talking about oil free?

TERIOD
05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
yes it says oil free right on the back

utenutter
05-05-2007, 06:56 PM
thanks for that i will get on to that web site

i am the same mate before i was diagnosed there probably wasn't a day spent out of the sun doing all sorts of stuff. it took a while and alot of different dotors to diaganose me also had mis diagnosed problems which now i am quite pissed at cause i sold my property and stuff i after a year problems where still there. i seriously think i have had lupus for quite a while and the amount of sun i have exposed myself to is alot but in the passed few years photosensitivity has become a majour issue. symptoms are starting to get heavier and i think my body is really telling me that i have abused my body in the last 20 years. i know i am getting older and some might be contributing to age etc but it is getting harder (as you all know)

i really miss going fishing in the day time, i restrict myself to night fishing and work when i can in the yard etc.

thanks again

shane

TERIOD
05-05-2007, 09:16 PM
maybe this sunscreen will you maitain in the shade while fishin, i hear theres lots of gold nuggets found on the ground in austrailia, i would like to get my hands on a few of those :grab:

utenutter
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
i dont know how true that is (maybe in it day it may have been like that) but we live not that far from a old gold mining town called Gympie (now it is a historic sort of place ,no mining happens but alot of abandoned mine shafts are still around today) , i have always wanted to do a bit of prospecting, i recon i would do ok.
One day i will go out to a town called Emerald, you can go there, purchase a mining licence and dig (all old school stuff) for opals and people do quite well out of it, i have a mate i work with his brother done it and one of the days he was there a young girl only meter or two from him found one sitting on the ground, it was quite a large one once they cleaned it up they relised it was a rare colour and was worth around $1800.
what else do you do with you spare time? i think i read on your profile you do a bit of hunting, if thats correct what sort of hunting do you do?
And if you fish do you live near the coast do salt water fishing or do you fresh water fish.

i tried to get some on that sunscreen online but it appears it is only found on web site realated to america etc, tried australian one they don't seem to have it so my next step is to go out to dermotology skin care shop and ask if they can get hold of it.if i have no luck there i have friens going overseas soon i will see if they can get it and send it to me?i will just keep trying.

shane

camyskitties
05-06-2007, 06:51 AM
What is the main "blocking agent" in this sunscreen? My derm told me to look for things with zinc or titanium dioxide as they offer total protection from all rays. I was going to go out to get some of this today but need to know what is used in it first. Thanks a bunch! :)

TERIOD
05-06-2007, 07:05 AM
well now (i know im gonna hear about this) i hunt for them big brown eyed creatures called deer, and those big fluffy cuddly ones called bear,
mostly i fish for trout, or catfish, i do li like to ocean fish, but i noticed several years ago for some reason i developed seasickness, this was never a problem before, i spent a long time aboard a ship in the navy, i would bet it has something to do with lupus, hey if you pm me with an address ill send you a couple of tubes of suncreen, i hope they make the flight :snipersmile:

ive been opal huntin when i was a kid with my parents, ive got two big jars of opals on the shelf, in water (be sure and keep any you find in water) ive heard aussie opals are the best, so if you find some we can trade for some pure virgin valley opals out of nevada :scatter:

TERIOD
05-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Is the Neutrogena 70+ sunscreen that you all are talking about oil free?

ok Janet, i know the term YOU ALL isnt used in NC :rofl:
i spent four years in that neck of the woods and still cant help myself from say Y'ALL :lol:

you can find out about it at www.neutrogena.com

Ruth1980
05-06-2007, 07:17 AM
the two main blocking agents are Avobenzone and Oxybenzone, the first protects against the UVA rays, the second against UVB rays. This sunscreen also has helioplex which prevents the Avobenzone and Oxybenzone from breaking down through the day and losing it effectiveness both the Avobenzone and Oxybenzone are FDA aproved sunscreens in their own right ant they are combined together into one in this product. You can get on the neutrogena website... www.neutrogena.com and they have lots of info on this product. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

TERIOD
05-06-2007, 07:27 AM
hi ruth, sounds like we need to hit up neutrogena for a paycheck for advertising, its good stuff i agree :halfrobot: i have my wife apply it to the back of my neck, i have to make sure she doesnt make crazy designs that show up later in the form of the suntan

Ruth1980
05-06-2007, 07:43 AM
teriod, hopefully your wife isn't making designs in your neck...that wouldn't be nice, funny, but not nice. Anwyay I say we go 50/50 on our advertising deal with neutrogena. Happy fishing....I usually go for trout or catfish

utenutter
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
have not done to much hubting, when i was younger i use to go for feral pigs, roo's and rabbits, as i say have not done to much.

fishing though is another story, i have down heaps off over the years, i chase anything local at the right time of the year in saltwater, done a little freshwater fishing in dams around here but had no luck, mates of mine pull large yellowbelly around 2-3kg and some big bass. favorite fish at the to catch are big flathead, good eating and really good sport fish on light line.otherwise always chasing bream,whiting,snapper,mangrove jack,cod,and mud and sand crabs.

also love camping and four wheel driving, but in the last year we sold our 4wd and we have not done much camping, favoured past time event i supose.

thanks for the offer about the sunscreen but i will see how i go locally first if i don't succeed i will gladly take up your offer.

do you live in a real built up area or out on property?

shane

TERIOD
05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
i own about an acre in the suburbs of sacramento ca, close to the mountains, about two hrs from the ocean, and about two hrs from lake tahoe, ya idont get out huntin much either anymore, jeepin and camping are just about all i can muster on a good day as long as i plan it well, im lookin into some serious tinted windows for my jeep, there are laws against tinting in CA but with a prescription ill be good to go :changes:

Missy
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok - I like Nutrogena, too.......but I'll also recommend Clinique City-block. I'm using SPF 40 right now. It's great for the face. My sister uses it, too. I tend to break out on my face from some sunscreens, even if they are oil-free, but this one is great.

tash-lee
05-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey Shane,

Im also a fellow aussie, and we actually do have sunscreen to spf 70+ so on and so forth, the reason why you dont see it on the bottle is with our laws and such legally they can only put upto spf 30+ on the bottle due to our harsher sun, if you find out the exact name of the Nutrogena sunscreen you might find its called the same here just with a different rating, its crazy that they cant say its higher but ohh well companies like to make things diffecult :roll:

Hope this helps.

Regards
Tash

utenutter
05-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Thank you tash, i went to see a dermotology shop and the lady behind the desk said a similar thing, do you know why this is? the sunscreen i am wearing probably is stronger the 30+ then. what one do you use?
thanks missy as well i will look out for that one as well, i think my best bet is to just try different ones and see which one works better.
teroid i use to have 30 acres and it was great but i have down sized to just a average town size block. i moved from this block because doctors said a had majour allergies to heaps of stuff and it was causing the rash on my face, well guess what they were wrong! so i should not of sold up even know the sun factor would of eventually came out but that is beside the point.

tash-lee
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey Shane,

No im not sure exactly, i cant even remember where i read it lol i think it was on the back of a sunscreen bottle or on a pamphlet.

I have been lucky and dont have a really really bad reaction to the sun....atleast i havent yet. But i still use sunscreen every day.

I use a Nutrimetics sunscreen, i have been tolld by a friend who has lupus and gets the buterfly rash that nutri rich oil gets rid of her rash, and the sunscreen has the same appricot formula in it as the sunscreen so i figure if i use it i shouldnt ever get a rash lo :lol: well i hope so any way