PDA

View Full Version : dilemma...

camyskitties
04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I have a question and need input...

I am seen primarily by my GP. I have Discoid Lupus so I have been to the derm a couple times but they seem more interested in treating their plastic surgery patients than someone with skin issues...plus I don't have insurance anyway. My GP is wonderful and gives me reg. bloodwork and pain meds which I pay for. BUT...I need pred and I can't take it all the time b/c I have very high BP. BP meds make me want to pass out. Plaq is out of the question b/c I don't have insurance Ugh!! My GP will give it to me once it gets so bad my face is completely red all over, but I need to take it more often than he is willing to give it. He is a very wonderful DR. but I feel like he wants to send me to a rhuematologist so I can be monitored more the way I need to be, but I can't afford it. I was turned down by medicaid and with a pre-existing condition I will never be able to get on with anyone. Is discoid lupus harmful if left untreated other than the embarassment of the rash and how hideous it looks, if I didn't do anything about it what would happen? And what could I do to get *some* sort of coverage from someone. We are quite strapped for $ since I quit work to be home with my babes and hubby works 6 days a week just to cover bills.

Sorry for the long sob story, just thought someone might have an idea or something...anything. Thanks in advance...

TERIOD
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I have a question and need input...

I am seen primarily by my GP. I have Discoid Lupus so I have been to the derm a couple times but they seem more interested in treating their plastic surgery patients than someone with skin issues...plus I don't have insurance anyway. My GP is wonderful and gives me reg. bloodwork and pain meds which I pay for. BUT...I need pred and I can't take it all the time b/c I have very high BP. BP meds make me want to pass out. Plaq is out of the question b/c I don't have insurance Ugh!! My GP will give it to me once it gets so bad my face is completely red all over, but I need to take it more often than he is willing to give it. He is a very wonderful DR. but I feel like he wants to send me to a rhuematologist so I can be monitored more the way I need to be, but I can't afford it. I was turned down by medicaid and with a pre-existing condition I will never be able to get on with anyone. Is discoid lupus harmful if left untreated other than the embarassment of the rash and how hideous it looks, if I didn't do anything about it what would happen? And what could I do to get *some* sort of coverage from someone. We are quite strapped for $ since I quit work to be home with my babes and hubby works 6 days a week just to cover bills.

Sorry for the long sob story, just thought someone might have an idea or something...anything. Thanks in advance...

My answer would have to be YES, i am not a doctor and i dont pretend to be be one, but it sounds to me like you have more going on than discoid lupus, and i dont want to scare you but High bp is a sign of organ involvement, please dont be scared im not a doctor but going to a rheumy would be a good thing and i would be very very happy if you prove me wrong,

Terry :lol:

p.s. im sorry for being so straightforward and to the point, but i feel like this a better safe than sorry post

browneyedgirl53
05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Camy,

Please don't ever let the fact that you don't have insurance be a reason that you're not taking care of yourself. I have been in your situation and I have had to make payment arrangements, as long as you send something every month.

I have skin involvement with my lupus...and I also took Plaquenil which left me with closed-angle glaucoma....so needless to say; I don't take that either. However, I would suggest that you ask your doctor about Dapsone. It's very affordable, and is used in treating lupus as well. It works very well for me....but I would suggest talking to your doctor about it.

Teriod made a very good point and I would echo her thoughts as well. Please make sure that you take care of yourself.....I can't speak to discoid but I know when I was choosing between bills and meds....I chose bills and my health suffered tremendously....AND it took me three times longer to get back to a stable lifestyle.

There are organizations/free clinics that may be helpful to you. Please do whatever you can to stay on top of this. YOU'RE WORTH IT !!!

mnjodette
05-02-2007, 03:20 AM
You're in North Carolina, right? I checked on the web and see that North Carolina has an association of free clinics. Check them out at www.ncfreeclinics.org. Or, search on 'free medical care in North Carolina' or 'low cost prescriptions in North Carolina' to find other assistance. You MUST get the help you need to stay well. God bless.

Jody

camyskitties
05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Everyone thank you so much. I will try to do what I can. Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement. I will check out the free clinic site as well. When I go back to my GP I will ask him about the Dapsone. Is is as effective as Plaquenil but without the side effects? If so, sounds great to me. I think the stress of worrying about no insurance has definately made my flare a lot worse. I will try to focus on more positive things. Thanks again.

TERIOD
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
AHEM,cough cough HIM :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes please see the doctors, your health is worth it!!!

camyskitties
05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
LOL!!