PDA

View Full Version : Some good supplements

kkelly
04-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi everyone
I have discovered that vit B12, B6 (sublingual formula) seems to have taken care of my ongoing nausea problem. Is this possible (what do you think MaryCain)?? I am thrilled as nausea was everyday (at 2:00) and severe enough to limit activities.
Secondly, I am taking pure cherry juice. My pain seems better and my overall mood is upbeat / energy better. I buy from (cdn company) but I am sure its all over the USA. I think its worth trying and its full of antioxidants and vitamins too.
Hope everyone had a lovely spring sunday and that good times are ahead for all!
Karen

MARYCAIN
04-30-2007, 07:11 AM
B6 is definitely good for nausea - I took it for morning sickness. And taking it with B12 is a great idea, Just be careful with the amounts - megadoses of B6 are toxic and can cause nerve damage. And for those who haven't taken it before - check with your doctor first - it's not indicated for some people.

I'm right with you on the cherry juice - except I can't stand the taste of cherries, so I get the concentrated juice capsules in a vegan base. That way I can get some of the health benefits without actually having to drink the juice. :) Blueberry juice is also good if you can find it; it is high in salicilates, which act as a "natural aspirin" for inflammation. I have a juicer, so I usually make my own bluebery-carrot-spinach combo. I also eat fresh pineapple and papaya anytime they are available, because the enzymes in these fruits are great for helping inflammation.

I'm glad you have finally found something to help with the nausea! :)

mnjodette
05-02-2007, 03:33 AM
I have a friend who has been urging me to become a 'juicer.' Marycain, do you have any good recommendations on a book that I can read on juicing - one with recipes and nutritional info? I can buy a juicer and I guess it would come with an instruction book, but I don't know what things to juice for which benefits.

Jody

Ruth1980
05-02-2007, 03:51 AM
mnjodette... I have several friends who swear by juicing to she says that she is going to loan me some books to read on the subject, I'll let you know what I read. She's made several different juices for me so far, they all taste good but as for helping me I have found that the ones that are berry or bannana based seem to help my muscle and joint aches. Hopefully we'll learn more and find something that works for us. I'll keep you posted with what I find.

mnjodette
05-02-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks, Ruth. I would have a hard time drinking anything that didn't taste good, I'm afraid, so that's good to hear. Any info you find would be most appreciated. I expect there are a lot of books on the subject, but I'd sure like to get some recommendations from those who've used them. Thanks again!

Jody

MARYCAIN
05-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Jody, I have a Jack Lalane (sp?) power juicer - I like it because it has a big "maw" so you don't have to do a lot of peeling and chopping to get your fruits and veggies ready to juice - you can put in whole carrots or apples, etc. and it juices them with no problems. And it leaves you with nice dry fruit pulp you can mix in to muffins or quickbreads, or puree and dry for fruit leathers. A juicing book came with the juicer, with recipes and nutrional content, so I haven't really bought any other books. But many public libraries have a good diet and nutrition section, so you can probably find several books to read without a big investment. You can also make your juices and then blend them with lowfat yogurt for some great fruit smoothies. I can throw some spinach and broccolini in with the strawberries and bananas, add the yogurt, and the kids will slurp it down without a single "ewww, spinach". I really bought the juicer more for them than me, but it's been great for all of us.

mnjodette
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Marycain. I'm going to check out the web and see if I can find a Jack Lalane (I don't know how to spell it either!) juicer.

Jody

angela
05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
hey gang of mine!

i have a juicer, a breville, that i just love and it's like marycains, you can throw just about anyting in and it wi hande it for you with nice dry pulp! my big thng about this one is that it strains pretty well!! i might strain a little more depending on the juice. i've got my own 'eww' issues! :lol: for just about anything green. i'm working on that! :roll: and i should juice much more, dear hubby threatens to sel it on ebay :!: anyway, i have a great juicing book that gives you all the nutients,and what each combination is for. im aleady in the bed, so i wil post it for you in the morning just after the "kindergaten dash" :lol: :lol: !!

be well :wink:

MARYCAIN
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Here is a link to some info about picking a juicer - it might help you decide which kind you want

http://www.discountjuicers.com/bestjuicer.html

mnjodette
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks - I'm going to pick one out and do it! My husband has been after me to explore some nutritional approaches to my illness. Can't hurt, as long as I don't do anything radical, so I'll give this a shot.

The other thing I'm having some concerns about is gluten. I seem to be have a fair amount of .... ahem.... gastrointestinal problems and I'm suspecting wheat (or gluten..whatever). Anyone have a good website or book that might help me explore that a little further?

MARYCAIN
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Jody, my first thought would probably be IBS - that seems to be very common in people with lupus and sjogrens. You could try eliminating gluten from your diet to see if it makes a difference - but it might require some detective work because gluten is found in a lot of foods you wouldn't expect. You can just google gluten free diet for a lot of resources.

angela
05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
hi gang of mine! that book is 'the big book of juices and smoothies-natural blends for health and everyday vitality' by natalie savona. i like that it has both fruity stuff, which i like, and the veggie stuff :roll: , which i need to do more of :lol: . anyway, i love it. and the breville juicer.

good luck!

mnjodette
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Marycain and Angela. I will check out both resources. I was afraid to even think about IBS. I had some experience with that some years ago. I suppose it could've been an early indicator of SLE, but I wasn't diagnosed at the time. I'll do some research on the gluten thing. I see my doc again in a couple of weeks and will mention it to her. Yuk...something new.

Jody

diandbarth
07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
There is an easier wat to get the nutrition and antioxadants than juicing. I found something that helped me tremendously. Its called ***** - a blend of 19 fruits full of antioxidants, phytonutrients and other stuff. I got it from a woman at-- contact me for the web site -. It worked great for me, let me know if you have the same results.

DSylla
10-16-2007, 02:47 AM
hey gang of mine!

i have a juicer, a breville, that i just love and it's like marycains, you can throw just about anyting in and it wi hande it for you with nice dry pulp! my big thng about this one is that it strains pretty well!! i might strain a little more depending on the juice. i've got my own 'eww' issues! :lol: for just about anything green. i'm working on that! :roll: and i should juice much more, dear hubby threatens to sel it on ebay :!: anyway, i have a great juicing book that gives you all the nutients,and what each combination is for. im aleady in the bed, so i wil post it for you in the morning just after the "kindergaten dash" :lol: :lol: !!

be well :wink:

I, too, have the Breville.
It's great in that you don't have to chop your fruits into small piece :-). It can juice a whole apple!

I love juicing organic carrot, apple, ginger and beets. I throw a little flax seed oil in there I'm good to go! Sometimes, I'll juice beets, celery, kale and apple.

I'm a big blender too! Banana, peach, strawberry, blueberries, soy milk = YUM!

I'm a juicer for life!