PDA

View Full Version : Yoga

Suzanne960
04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I've done 2 yoga classes this week, and, boy, do I feel better. :D I haven't been able to say that in a couple of years, at least. I think I have the best concoction of meds I've had, and that's allowing me to do the yoga, which is helping still more. Even if it doesn't last the weekend, this still gives me hope.

Anyone else have good luck with yoga? What do you watch out for?

IloveHistory
04-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Suzanne960!

I do Yoga once a week and have done so for the last four years. I find it tremendously helpful and relaxing! :D It's good for keeping the muscles warm and flexible! :wink:

Keep well! :)

Missy
04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I've been practicing Kripalu yoga for the last 3 years and I've found it extremely helpful as well. There are lots of different types of yoga and instructors. It sounds like you found one that works great for you!

If you have a knowledgeable yoga instructor, they should have asked you about any health conditions and offer modifications of poses. I'm not aware of all modifications that should be followed, because I'm in a really small class and my teacher knows all of our "issues" and tells us the modifications as we go along. For example, I do know that if you have high blood pressure, you should not do inverted poses.

I'm so glad you've found yoga helpful!

songchick
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Yoga is always something I've been interested in trying, but hesitant because of the lupus symptoms.

Any recommendations on tapes or yoga styles for a beginner?

Missy
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I definitely recommend Kripalu as a gentle, more meditative style. Iyengar is a traditional style, but classes called "restorative" are generally more gentle and geared towards bodies that need to be restored, if that makes sense. Hatha yoga should be good, too.

I would avoid any Bikram (hot, hot yoga), as could be stressful to the body as well as anything labeled "Power yoga" or that advertises itself as a "workout."

People have translated yoga into all kinds of experiences, so it can take a few tries to find one that's right for you. It's important to find an instructor you like, too. One that gives alternatives to poses that your body might not be able to do that day or due to medical conditions. They should be knowledgeable and experienced.

I don't do tapes, but I encourage you to attend classes first. It's easy to not get a pose right when you watch a tape and you wouldn't want to hurt your body if you've never done anything like yoga before. I know others might like their tapes, but this is my opinion. Once you know the poses that are most helpful to you, you'll just need some nice background music and a flat surface to have your own practice at home!

Suzanne960
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the tips. My studio has only have one restorative yoga class per week--must not be very popular. The Hatha teacher is good about recommending 2 or 3 alternatives to make positions more challenging, so I think that's going to work. I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to going tomorrow, in spite of having a bad day today due to the weather.