PDA

View Full Version : have u all heard of LONG WAVE UVA THERAPY??

angela
04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
have you heard of this? and if so, what are your thoughts? have you undergone this treatment? thanks :)

MARYCAIN
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I know there is someone on the forum who is using this - I think it is Kelly, but not sure. Hopefully she will see the post and chime in.

angela
04-22-2007, 11:16 PM
thans marycain!! hopefully she sees the post :)

kkelly
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi Angela
Just checking the forum now. I have used UVA-1 light therapy and would love to share my thoughts on it. ALthough they are a bit murky. I read the book Lupus Underground by Anthony DeBartolo. He is a reporter with Lupus who swears by the therapy. He found out about it through a doctor in New Orleans Hugh McGrath who has been researching UVA-1 for years.

Here it is in a nutshell: UVA-1 lessens the severity of fatigue associated with lupus and in some cases eases the overall symptoms (many people have reported long term remissions using this approach) I ordered the special philips bulbs and installed them in a home tanning canopy. It cost me about $1500 total. Before I did that I had a tanning salon put the bulbs in one of their machines to see if it worked well enough to justify.

Here is the thing - it ABSOLUTELY helped my fatigue and brain fog tremendously. Not sure it did much for the joints/other symptoms. But I am happy to know there is something to help when I have that wall of never ending fatigue. My hesitation is this.....the bulbs emit 0.03% of UVB along with UVA-1. The UVA is fine and supposedly not going to cause skin cancer according to research. But there is that little bit of UVB and I have to wonder if it aggravates the symptoms. There is a filter that deBartolo wrote about in his book but I have not been able to locate. I am taking a break from the therapy for a couple of months to see how I do and to see if I can find the filter. My fatigue is much better lately. I used to use the bed for 10 minutes each side 4x a week. My energy really improved. I got a light tan also, but still had joint pain/other symptoms. Enough to know that this thing helps symptoms but certainly isn't a "magic bullet" like we are all looking for. My next hope is pinned on Orencia....(new biologics drug)

If there is anything else specific I will try to answer.
Karen

angela
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
oh thanks so much karen! my dear hubby was prawling around on the net looking for the magic bullet for me, as he usually does :lol: and came across this. we were introduced to lupus (and vasculitis, anemia, etc...) 3 years ago with a bang, and have had just a terrible time since. im so much better now, however we are still looking for other treatments.

i have cns-sle with siezures, tremors, speech and mobility issues, with heart and lung involvement. what about you? what are you looking into orencia for?

thanks again for your response. i may bug you later for questions for my hubby...he's sleep now :)

be well

chichibug
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Out of desperation I just bought an infrared sauna that purports to be very helpful to people with all sorts of ailments... (you can see it at http://www.sunlightsaunas.com/ ) It should arrive in 3 or 4 weeks.

I have found that after spending an hour in a regular sauna, I have remissions for about 2 weeks, and we were going to get one of those, but my cardiologist about had his own coronary when he considered the extreme temperature changes... so the infrared sauna says that it doesn't have the same extremes...

Thoughts? Hope? I'll take some hope!

angela
05-02-2007, 11:23 PM
thanks chichibug! i hope it work for you! so, i not sure i understand. it is a heat suana, but use infra red to heat you? is the infra red techology like or the same as UVA-1 light? is the heat safe for you? how do you like it so far? like you, my doc woud have a fit! i love the hot tub and that drive him crazy! i have heart, lung, and brain involvement.

thanks for the info!

be well :wink:

chichibug
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Angela,
The Far-Infrared light frequency is described (on SunlightSaunas.com website) as:

Infrared light is part of the Sun's invisible spectrum of light that has the ability to penetrate the human tissue. Infrared heater technology uses these Far infrared light characteristics to heat the body directly rather than just the air. The experience of a Far infrared sauna is similar to sunbathing, which gives you the radiant heat that is all your own. The Far infrared heat penetrates your skin, giving you that wonderful natural warmth. Unlike sunbathing, Infrared heater technology is completely healthy and safe You can relax in a Far infrared sauna and it will never cause your skin to burn.

It discusses Far-Infrared frequencies here:

All humans send and receive Far infrared waves. The range of Far infrared waves generated by the human body is 6 to 20 microns. The optimal micron output range is between 7 and 14 microns which is very close to the resonant frequency of a water molecule. This similarity makes sense since our bodies are almost 70% water. This range, sometimes called "Vital Rays" appears to have special regenerative effects on the body.

The result of Sunlight Saunas heater designs allows for better performance well within this vital wave range of 7 to 14 microns with a good portion of wavelengths at 9.4--which is the frequency at which a water molecule resonates or vibrates. This vibration causes a release of cellular toxins such as mercury, aluminum, cholesterol and other toxic gases such as sulfur and formaldehyde. This optimal micron output also allows for deeper penetration of Far infrared heat, which improves pain relief, detoxification, circulation, and increased peripheral blood flow.

It seems to differ from UVA-1 light, as UV Rays are "Medium Infrared Rays", like visible light... the "Near-Infrared Rays" are gamma and x-rays, and other Far-Infrareds are microwaves and radio waves...

I am learning a lot about this stuff... I talked to my rheumatologist yesterday about this, and he said that it should provide me with substantial relief from pain, but he is dubious about any 'healing'...

I will certainly keep you all posted on how it goes. It should be here in 2 weeks or so. We need to wire our house with 20amp or something or other ... lucky for me my hubby knows how to do that stuff!

I'm sorry that you have so much involvement with the lupus. How do these effect your daily life?

--Kristin

angela
05-04-2007, 06:14 PM
thanks so much for the info!!!

kkelly
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Kristin
That is interesting. There is an alternative health clinic here that offers the sauna therapy. I will be anxious to hear how it goes for you and I might make an appointment to give it a try. A 2 week remission sounds like heaven......
keep us posted,
Karen

chichibug
05-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Kkelly,

I was so surprised the first time it happened--I was at the Timberline Lodge at the beginning of a 2 week vacation/tour of Oregon, and a big flare was starting... they happened to have a sauna (steam), and I love them, so I went in... and stayed for about 30 minutes or so... trudged back to the hotel through the snow... and the next morning, my symptoms were "gone" and I had a tremendous 2 week vacation. (I had been SO worried about this flare happening at this precise time... nothing better to ruin a well-planned vacation...) I am not sure if the remission of symptoms ended because I got home and "relaxed" (you know how it 'all catches up') or what... but I look forward to seeing if I can get relief at all from this infrared one.

I'll definitely keep you all posted.
--Kristin

angela
05-08-2007, 10:16 PM
hey chichibug, im so sorry :oops: i just now realze that you asked me how the lupus effects my daily life. i was rushing to get my ladybug, who's a hotshot kindergartener, off to school that day, and all heck was breaking loose! so i at least was trying to respond, but i was too hasty :?

yes, as everyone here knows, it can be hard, but it so much better than it was! it began with me having breathing problems and they kept saying it bronchitis, then pneumonia, then BANG! i collapse and was in icu and ccu for 2 months before they moved me to oncology. i was very lucky because they diagnosed it so quickly. only 5 month. so i bumped along, ups and downs, until another BANG! i had siezure and fell down a rather large flight of stairs this past oct. next thing i know, its in my brain.

so here we are...
it's not so bad at times, and just awful at others. i injured my brain along with the lupus being there, and have serious problems with my mobility, speech, and aphasia (where i cant remember the words for things-like spoon. i know what it is and for, but cant tell you what it is), and (not so significant now, but still bad enough) short term memory loss, where i cantt really remember what i had for dinner last night - nothing, blank. that's the hardest i think. especially for dear hubby. we have the same conversations over and over. very frustrating. working is hard (dern near impossible!), i cant drive, which i love to do! driving is freedom to me. thre are days i cant talk, walk, type, nothing, and i sound like a 2 year old. just today i was told by a customer service rep that i should stop playing on the phone and then hung up on. waa, waa, waa.. :lol:

i could ramble on and on, and say that it has truly wrecked havoc on my life, but, at the same time, it has truly been a blessing. it has totally changed my life - for the good! im still having my issues dealing with this, and there are days when i just want to holler and throw up both my hands! but im just so blessed. it has brought dear hubby and i so closer, i get to see just how resiliant my ladybug is, and i have some wonderful friends and family (this site included!) that have kept me going.

i know i went on and on, but there you go. and yes, it really did take almost 2 hours for me to finish this.

be well friend :wink:

chichibug
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Angela,

I am amazed by your story, your spirit, and your determination. I am honored that you took the time to write to me.

I can relate to the inability to recall common words/names, and the short-term memory loss (and long term, for me, too). It drives me nuts! Also, sometimes my heart freaks out and I just get diarrheah of the mouth and just talk and talk and talk... very fast, and sometimes makes no sense, even to me. I know how much that can frustrate.

You are lucky to have an understanding husband. I too am lucky in this way. My husband is actually the spearhead of finding things that help me... I try to ignore things, and push off any idea of "help", while he is always reading, studying, and researching new ideas like nutrition, medications, alternative therapies, etc. I hate that I need that sort of attention, and fight it tooth and nail at times.

You have a kindergartener? I miss those days! My daughters are 19 and almost 18... They are awesome. I love your term, "hotshot" for her--that is so appropriate for kids that age. Enjoy each minute--for it will seem like just a few months goes by and she'll be preparing for college. (My older one is finishing her second year at the University--Engineering major, and my younger one leaves in August for the University--Psych major with intentions on Law School.) It leaves just me and my husband. It will be a whole new world, as we married when my kids were 8 and 10... it will be our first time "alone".

What do you do to help you keep track of things? I try to write notes, but then I misplace the notes.. :) I bought a handheld computer/phone combo that uplinks with my Outlook in my kitchen computer--it has all of my contacts, calendar, lists (grocery, etc), etc... So they do synchronize and most of the time I can keep track of things that way... I use GPS so I don't get lost when I do drive. (But unlike you, I can't stand driving... I feel like I could get myself lost in a second...) When someone tells me to "remember to do XXX" or "in the morning, can you please XXX" without writing it down, I am toast. I will have every intention on doing what ever XXX is, but I will forget. I feel like I am a very bad friend sometimes. Birthdays? Ha. I can't remember them. For my daughter's 10th birthday, I got her an 11th birthday card. "D'Oh!"

I think I am going to learn a lot by coming here. First and foremost, I need to learn to accept my husband's care and attention.

I am so grateful for your reply.
--Kristin (chichibug)

angela
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
thanks so much kristin, anytime :wink: i no different than everyone here, including you. yes, it hard for me to accept help too. i was the one who took care of everyone and everythng. the go to person. then, BAM like i said. yes, it hard for you because all of a sudden now you have to be this different person. you not prepared for that. so of course, it hard to accept the help from your dear hubby. im sure he see that and understand.

how's the handheld thingy working foryou? i use a planner system by franklin covey. i have used it for years, at least 12, so i think it in my head no matter what! it really great and i have converted many people to it, and it can sync to outlook and most other computers and smart phones. my dh (dear hubby) is a network and systems engineer (computer geek) so im luky to have the latest and greatest technology around the house. actually, in my business email he has a program running that catches all my mistakes and it voice command. it like spell check on steroids times 10! it know what andhow i want to say thinks. it great because of my aphasia. i have to send lot of time thinking about what i am saying, then i have to type it... :?

so back to your question.... like i say i use the franklin covey planner and it has systems of checks and cross checks. and then i use a big calender that you can get from staples or other office supply it by day runner. this is whats important. i use a system of color coding - ladybug is green (her school colors), anything medial (doc appts, lab, therapy, etc..) is orange, and so on. it's great for me, and i guess it great for other people too because several of my neighbors saw it and wanted me to show them how to do it. :o i can take a quick glance at the board (as we call it) thats up on the fridge, and know what is what. now because of my significant memory loss, i cross off each day as it paesses becasuse dont always know what day or month it is. but i think thta hs nothing to do with lupus, i have a kindergarener and im just getting old!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
have one of those 'smart' phones too. i use it to help me with my medication. i set alarms on it to help me remember to take my meds, anduse the recorder when i cant write something down. i set the alarm for me tocheck the recorder every 2 hours. the phone has 3 differnt types of alarms settings for me to use.

so with all that said, i wish you well my friend :wink:

now i also

i carry my pick book (planner) wth me just aout everywhere, and i
so wth

chichibug
05-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Update on the IR Sauna--

I got it yesterday (2 weeks earlier than expected) and we got it put together in about an hour. (It was really easy!) I had it fired up and was in it within the next 30 minutes. Well, at the beginning, I thought it was "okay"... nice and warm... that felt good... but after about 20 minutes, I started sweating like crazy (something I "don't" do) and kept it up until it hit about 140 degrees--about 25 more minutes. I got out and was soaking wet-- took a shower, and let me tell you--I have never felt more "clean" in my life. I felt GREAT. My joints didn't hurt, my muscles didn't hurt--nothing. My hands were a little swollen, but that went away in the shower.

I did it again this morning, and again, I feel great. If I could, I would do this twice or three times a day!

My doc says that the IR sauna will bring me relief--and he is right. So far, so good. And if it keeps up, was worth every penny.

This particular sauna is FAR-infrared (see above explanation), and I'm not sure if I'd find this sort of relief from a ceramic IR sauna, but who knows?

For now, I'm very hopeful!!
--Kristin

chichibug
05-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Angela,
I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed your post--I'd have replied earlier.

It sounds like you have a hubby like mine (my dh is an aero engineer and also has all the latest techie stuff). It was through my hubby that I figured out how to sync everything together.

Oh yeah--the colors on the calendars are TERRIFIC. (My medical stuff is also orange LOL) I have a computer in the kitchen (the actual computer tower is mounted in the hallway, and it's all wired through the back of the wall) with a wireless keyboard and mouse... I store them in the drawer... Anyway, on the screen is the Outlook calendar (full screen) and it has everything on there in the various colors. I can put it on weekly, daily, or monthly (usually it's on either weekly or monthly), and I can see it from across the room. There are alarms for anything (today the alarm went off for the dogs' heartworm medication--every 30 days), and I can share the calendar with my hubby at his work (or invite him to an event that I schedule) via email. (I have one email address for the kitchen, 3 upstairs, and on on my phone.) I also have the calendar synced on the upstairs computer, with alarms and everything, so I can do things here and not get too distracted from the "need to do" list. Anyway, everything sync's with everything else. Even my phone telephone has a USB cable that I sync with Outlook contacts--so all of my phone numbers (and addys) are automatically saved in the cordless phone at home. It makes things very easy.

I do have the internet on all computers (including wifi on the smartphone) and I check things like weather, school calendars, news, etc., on there too. I have messenger programs on each computer that allow my kids to message me wherever I am, too. (And often I will send a message to myself from one computer to another, to remind myself what I need to do... because sometimes I will go upstairs to "check on something" and will forget before I get upstairs what I was supposed to do... That helps a LOT.

On my smartphone/handheld computer (It uses Windows Mobile 5), I use the Outlook things and also have IGuidance software to link to the GPS. The IGuidance allows you to select addresses from your Outlook contact list as destinations, and will direct you there. If I drive my suburban, I have OnStar, so they will also do the same if you press the button.

It sounds like you and I have similar ways of dealing--and I feel like I have a whole new lease on life. I was overwhelmed at first when I started to set it all up, but it wasn't that bad, and now that it's in place--well, I couldn't live without it.

(And I don't lose the notes like I used to...)

Have a GREAT day,
Kristin

sary
05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Where do you get the UVA-1 long wave therapy? is there some sort of salon that provides this? or do you have to buy something? thanks :)

chichibug
05-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't know about the UVA-1 therapy--maybe you can ask your doctor?

Update on the FAR Infrared: For the first time in years I am able to close my right fist completely and without pain. My skin looks terrific, and my pain is MOST definitely lowered all over.

I use the sauna for one hour a day, followed by a shower and lots of water (but no more than I usually drink--I'm a heavy water drinker).

--Kristin

chichibug
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
I just found an interesting site with a report on UVA-1 therapy:

https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/dspace/bitstream/1887/4391/12/01.pdf

It's a really great site.
--Kristin

kkelly
05-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Great to hear Kristin. That is weird about the sweating - I don't sweat either and I do think its bad because the body isn't releasing toxins. I am going to make an appt. to try the sauna at the health clinic.
Keep us posted on how things progress...good for you...all the best
Karen

chichibug
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
One new thing--I use white towels in the sauna to sit on... and I noticed that my feet were sweating blood (or so it looked)... Not a lot, but noticeable on the towel... I was kinda freaked out, and Googled it--nothing came up...
A friend came over and was talking about sweating toxins--and how the body sweats various toxins out of your feet--so I Googled that, and came up with all kinds of colors that your sweat can turn if you are really sweating out toxins. (Mine is brown/red and represents liver toxins.) I read about some people that sweat green, others orange, etc...
So don't freak out if you sweat various colors out your feet LOL... It hasn't happened in a few days, but it "is" curious.
I'm still using it for an hour a day, and doing great. Yesterday I spent a lot of time on my feet, so I'm not feeling terrific today... I have a lot of bleeding under my skin in my lower legs and feet... It'd be cool if it weren't so gross LOL... but oh well. So--no cure, but it makes me feel better.
--Kristin

kkelly
05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the warning on the red toxin sweat. I wonder what colour mine will be. I did some research on the saunas and lupus and not surprisingly lupus and MS are not recommended for far infrared saunas. I knew that a couple of years ago so I didn't go ahead and try it. I am more adventurous now and figure I will know after one session if it makes me feel worse. And they really don't have much data on this.
So glad you are doing well. I know, until they find a cure its about controlling things to a certain degree. That would be fine by me. I used to think I would only be happy if I went into permanant remission. Now I am a little more realistic about things. (and thankful for things not being worse)....all the best
Karen

littlered
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
My daughter has used light therapy for her psoriasis; Interesting, as psoriasis and lupus are linked. It helps her a great deal. Right now her psoriasis is in "remission" but when it comes back, it's horrible for her.
As for driving...we live in Houston, where you MUST drive. There is a bus system here, but it's only good in Houston proper; if you are in the suburbs, forget about it. I no longer have the ability to remember spoken directions. For instance, if you say, "You go to X street and take a right onto Y street. Then make a left on A Avenue, continue on to B avenue..." I am lost after the first right. I didn't used to be that way. I do fine with a map. Same thing with recipes. I can see it made, hear it, but if you don't write it down, I can't even begin.
As a teacher, I know that learners are either visual, auditory, or hands-on, sometimes a combination, but usually more one than the other. I used to be very auditory (never had to even take notes in college!) Now I am absolutely visual. Strange, eh?
Anyway, I also now dislike driving intensely. I will do it if I must, but I used to like it.
I also forget or mix up words, usually nouns. (There's a technical term for this, I am sure MaryCain or SaySusie know it.) Once I told my husband to be sure to leave the dog in the dishwasher! It can be kind of funny, but not always. Love, Kathy

chichibug
05-23-2007, 02:34 PM
The indications/contraindications vary depending on who is doing the review... there is a really big study going on in Japan that really advocates sauna therapy.
I just know that for -me- when I spend time in a sauna, I feel a lot better. Since each of our cases are different, I suggest caution--check with your doctor. My rheumatologist said it would have positive effects (but no cure)... and he is right.

Start slow--and build up.

So far, with the sauna, so good ;)
Have a tremendous day,
Kristin

chichibug
05-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Kathy--
ME TOO! I have a "rolodex problem" in that I get my words all stuck and they come out wrong... I too have done things like tell people to do something that makes no sense.

I hate driving, too--would never drive again if I could get a personal chauffeur. ;) I don't necessarily get "lost" since I have the gps and onstar, but I can't ever "picture" where I need to be, or how to get there--even if I've been there a hundred times. I feel like I have a gray fog space where the memory was.

Have a wonderful afternoon,
Kristin

sary
05-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Do the sunlight sauna's cause you to tan? I know they don't cause you to burn though.

angela
05-26-2007, 01:34 PM
hi kristin! so sorry for just now getting back to you, i've been swamped and in a flare. im playing catch up now with all the postings!

im so glad that it's working for you! i think im am going to seriously look into this.

it sounds like we are just alike with how we keep up with everything!

kkelly
05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone
I tried the infrared light sauna. It was very soothing and comfortable. I felt good the rest of the day. The next day however, wham, sore all over. Who knows though - I often flare like this for no reason so I am really not sure if I would attribute to the sauna. I am not going to rush back though just in case.
I will post again if I try it regularly and have anything to report on my end.
Karen

chichibug
05-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Sary--no, the infrared saunas do not cause you to tan. The UV rays would cause me to flare--I used to have a tanning bed... and couldn't figure out why I kept getting sicker and sicker (this was pre-official diagnosis).

Angela--I'm so sorry you're flaring. I hope it's a short one. We do seem to be so much alike--I hope you get a chance to give the Far-Infrared a try--and I hope it helps you like it helps me. (If you are looking at getting one for your house, let me know, because I'll set you up with the guy that sold us ours--he's a nice kid working his way through college and flight school.)

Karen--I am glad you found the IR Sauna helpful--even for a few minutes. How long did you spend inside? Was it Far-Infrared, or just regular Infrared? (According to the studies, it makes a big difference...) You can tell by the heating panels--were they narrow and tall--like 7 inches wide and 18 inches tall-- ceramic, u-shaped, with a rod in the middle? Or were they big flat sheets (probably covered with material) that were about one foot wide by 2 or 3 feet tall? How hot did you get it? (The Far-Infrared only gets up to 150... the others about 180.)
The studies suggest starting out at only about 30 minutes a day, and working your way up. I am up to 55 minutes now--and those last 5 are hard.
I hope it wasn't the sauna that triggered the pain... I wonder, too, if after a day of relief, the daily pain might have seemed worse? I know it's that way for me.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. It's been a great one here.
--Kristin

kkelly
05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi Kristin
It was far infrared. The panels were covered with material (flat). It was about 130-140 temp wise. I defintely felt the detox effects later that day. So I wondered if I should be doing the sauna for a few days consecutively in order to really get the bad stuff out. Do you know if there are any program/recommendations for this?
Thanks again,
Karen

sary
05-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Sorry to ask so many questions. I know some of you own the sauna's, but do any of you go to a salon that has these particular sauna's? how common are they with salons?

I'm just curious, because i'm a student and I don't really have the money nor the room for one of these, so i'm just wondering if maybe I could go to some sort of clinic or salon. Thanks.

chichibug
05-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Karen,
It's good that you found a salon with the Far-Infrared. I don't know about "programmes" for sauna use, except that regular use is advised. I will look into it--I did read somewhere that you should start slow, and work your way up to the hour long session. And once a day is what they recommend (although I have been tempted to go in twice).
Are you feeling better now?

A note on me: I have been running a fever since September, and just these past two days it's gone down (not totally gone, but only about one degree high instead of 3 or more). My swelling has decreased, and I am sleeping even better than before. And a superficial side note, the laugh lines in my face are GONE. My skin looks heathy--and even my stretch marks on my legs are decreasing. Bruising is healing faster (they used to take months to go away, now they subside in about a week--subside, not gone, but not still getting bigger ;) ) and age spots are disappearing. I really believe all of these things are attributed to the sauna use. I did skip a day last week (Prom day for daughter) and felt the pain the next day... so for me, daily use seems important.

There are naturopaths online that have some sauna information. I'll try to find some sort of plan for detox. There are detox facilities that use the Far-Infrared saunas as part of their detox program, too... I think they advise daily use.

Sary, I know that there are sauna facilities out there, but I live in a small town and we have nothing like this. (Although with the success I have been having, I am considering opening one.) Maybe chiropractor offices? Naturopath doctors' offices? Even tanning salons might have something like this. Oh, and high end hotels or spas might, too.

Have a great day,
Kristin

kkelly
06-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks Kristin
That is helpful info. I think that if I proceed I should buy a bulk pass to use the sauna. Its about $30 for 30 minutes....a bit steep but worth it if it helps.
My mini flare seems to have subsided. I am really curious about how I would feel if I used it every day. I am so glad you are having success. As for the superficial stuff, why not, sounds all good to me. I have bruises that last forever....extra vitamin C helps that too.
A quick note about me....I seem to have ups and downs in the same day with maybe one or 2 days a month that are virtually symptom free. I think I have gotten used to the cycle of it. And I find that I can be in agony at 11am and perfectly fine at 3pm. Is this your experience? I find it easier to get through knowing that everything can change in a jiffy (although that goes both ways).
That is great news about your fever, maybe your whole system will calm down. Thanks again Kristin. This is such a great resource for us.
take care
Karen

angela
06-03-2007, 05:43 PM
hi guys!

sorry for just getting back to you all! i somehow got myself into doing my ladybus daisy girl scout troop scrapbook and i've been scrappin and flarin all week :lol: so needless to say, i haven't had a chance to further check
into the sauna.
anyway, i'm glad that you two (kristin and karen) are gettin some relief. sary, i hope you are able to get the info you're looking for. i hope it is something you can go to a salon and get.

hey kristin, do you know if we could just get the panels? i was thinking, for myself and sari too, that maybe they're something we can take to a salon. maybe not though as i think about it now.....

chichibug
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
An update: I skipped the sauna for a day and boy--my knuckles swelled up, my muscles hurt, and I remembered how bad I felt before... ack.
Then the next day, I had a major cardiac event--meaning my blood pressure dropped and I passed out... this is unrelated to the sauna, but I wonder if it's the vasculitis in the cardiac system again (and perhaps the flare up that I experienced with the joints due to NOT using the sauna also was flaring up the vasculitis)... 2 years ago, the doctors came to the conclusion that the major arteries and vessels were swelling up and causing a sort of heart failure and dropped ejection fraction in my heart. So, for the past 3 days I have not been able to go in (I promised my cardiologist that I'd have no sudden temperature changes when my heart is acting up), and my joints hurt, muscles hurt, etc--in spades.
I am trying to figure out how to balance this. I mean, how do I get "back"? I suppose time will tell.

For 30 bucks for 30 minutes, you'd pay off a sauna in your home in a year or less--so if you find that this works, you might want to consider buying one. It's much more convenient (you can shower right there, you can schedule whenever you want, etc). They don't use much electricity, either. Call Ian (the really great guy that sold me mine) at Sunlight Saunas... tell him Kristin McAllister sent you... he gave me a really great deal.

I don't know what you'd do with the panels and not a sauna... you'd have to build the unit yourself--and I priced that--it was cheaper to buy one prefab... Cedar (especially clear cedar) is hard to find and expensive.

I am chomping at the bit to get back into mine. Maybe tonight I'll try for just 20 minutes or so.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!
--Kristin

P.S. I just looked at their site, and the saunas are another 200 bucks off... so you might get an even better deal than I did.

angela
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
hi kristen. sorry you're flaring. i know the feeling! i have vasculitis too as i said before and it's frustratingn an dpainful. im fighting a flare too. same as you, my joints are hurting as well as my muscles. i thnk the vasculitis makes my muscles hurt and ache.

feel better :wink: