PDA

View Full Version : New to Group

flchick
04-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello! I'm new to this forum and it's nice to be here. :D I've had lupus for five years, but have really struggled with it over the last few years. My doctor has taken me off work for now. I've also just moved to Florida and don't know anyone here but my husband! I looking forward to reading the posts and learning new information!! :lol:

Lisa

IloveHistory
04-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Hi Flchick!

Welcome to the Forum! :D I'm really glad that you found us! :D

Please just know that anytime you need advice, support, information or just to vent or chat, we're all here for you!

Keep well! :)

Saysusie
04-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Hello Lisa :lol:
Welcome to our family. You will find that everyone here is more than willing to answer any question that you may have, to research information for you and to provide you with support and understanding.
I am happy that you found us and I hope that you will join us often!

Again..Welcome!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

flchick
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Thank you two so much! I really appreciate the kind words.

Lisa

Raven
04-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi Lisa -

I am new too! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My doctor has placed on medical leave too - so I am trying to figure out how to get through this flair and try to regain a normal life/schedule.
How are you feeling about being off work?

flchick
04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Well Raven, I hate being off work! I've been off since November and I just don't know what to do with myself. I also just moved to FL, so I don't know anyone. BUT.. I will have to say that I do feel better since I'm getting more rest. I also want to get back to a "normal" lifestyle, just like you said. How are you coping???

Raven
04-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow - you have had to deal with a lot of change! Good for you that rest is helping you feel better. I am having huge "freak outs" right now as I am worried about work. I am on medical leave (starting 4/10) and I do not know if I will have a job to go back to - or if I will even be able to handle full-time work anymore.
I don't like having so many cards up in the air - and it is hard trying to live one day at a time. Sounds like we are in the same boat with not knowing what to do!
Do you think your Lupus feels better in Florida? I have always wanted to live in a warm climate (I have Raynauds syndrome too) and wondered if it made you feel better or the same? Are there any support groups in your area? Have you treid any community service groups - maybe you could volunteer somewhere and meet some new people?

flchick
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Believe it or not, my husband asked to get transferred to FL in the hopes my Raynauds would get better! (I lived in VA before) I do think I'm going to feel better down here, but I dread that heat in the summer! :D I guess there is no perfect environment.

I freaked out for a while when I first got diagnosed. I didn't tell friends or co-workers for years because I didn't want to be treated differently. I regret that now, but I guess we learn from everything we do.

I have applied for my Disability because I know that I will not be able to work a full time position again. (at least not now) I have thought of volunteering at a local animal shelter. Animals always make me feel better!

I would love to help you anyway I can. Talking and seeking information was therapeutic for me. :) It still is!!!

Raven
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
:D Thanks flchick for being a mentor! Talking/posting seems to be the only way to get real advise on dealing with Lupus. The rheumy handed me two handouts on Lupus from the American Arthritis Foundation and that was it. She gave me a perscription for Plaquinel and Procardia (for Raynauds). I am going to the eye doctor tomorrow to make sure my retinas can handle the medication. I have bilateral iritis/uveities - so I don't want to risk loosing my vision. :evil: CRAZY! This disease is so insane. How do you cope? I am trying to have a sense of humor - but it's hard!
Critters are theraputic for me too - so I have been spending alot of time loving my kitties and visiting my horse - but I worry that lupus will take away my ability to ride.
Sorry for venting! This is just so surreal.

flchick
04-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey Raven! Please vent all you want! It's very nice to vent to someone who knows what you are going through. :D Please let me know if the Procardia helps w/ your Raynauds. Nothing seemed to help w/ mine. Plaquenil has been great for me so far. I hope you can safely take it!

It took a while to learn to cope w/ the disease. So many people don't know anything about it and have commented that "You don't look sick"! Humor has helped me a great deal and I'm sure it will for you too. When I was working and would make a mistake, I would always just blame it on Lupus! It would break the tension and make it OK for people to talk to me about it. (When I finally told them!)

Just keep talking and venting and learning all you can. I found out most information on my own.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :P

TammyR
05-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I can't work any longer and lost my job too. Thinking of the disability thing too. I read about the animals helping you cope and living in Florida and had several "me too" moments reading the posts in this thread! I am in Keystone Heights which is about an hour southwest of Jacksonville. Any of you guys near me?