PDA

View Full Version : Stroke...

Kokopelli
04-17-2007, 05:23 AM
they think my mom had one. I will find out more today (hopefully). tests tests.....

I feel so lost...I don't know what to do...should I be at work...should I be sitting at the hospital going nuts??? I don't know...

MARYCAIN
04-17-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm so sorry, I know it seems like one thing after another right now. My mom had several strokes, and each one was frightening and frustrating for all of us. If she will be having tests done today, there is probably little you can do at the hospital except worry. Why not try to go on to work and keep yourself occupied if you can. Is your Mom conscious? If she is, you might be able to keep her company later on, after all the tests are done. Hopefully, if it is a stroke, it is a mild one and she will be able to regain function soon.

You and your mom will be in my prayers. I wish I could reach out to you physically and give you a big hug.

Kokopelli
04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you Mary.

The CT and the MRIs have been "inconclusive" which means that she did not have an acute stroke. The neurologist seems to think maybe it was a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or a seizure of some kind. He said the good news is that with no major damage showing up in her brain, and the fact that she is getting better...are all good signs.

She is still very confused, but can form words and sentances now. She is incontenant still and was talking her mom cooking dinner yesterday. Most of the time she seems to know what she wants to say, but the words get jumbled between her thought and her lips.

she is still in the hospital and so far I don't seem to have too many answers to my many questions about what to expect.

I was there really late last night and was late to work this morning - slept right through my alarm clock (oops).

Missy
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Thinking of you and your mom right now........

I'm sure this was the last thing you expected/needed right now.

IloveHistory
04-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi Kokopelli!

I'm SO sorry to hear about your mom. I am praying for you both. May God give you strength.

Kokopelli
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you ladies. She has made amazing progress and is back at her nursing home today. In some ways, I think it might have actually helped her and in other ways....it certainly made things worst.

She seems to be more talkative (which is a very good thing) but she seems to be confused. She hasn't been able to walk for a few years now and yet she is very depressed about not being able to walk. She was sure that before she into the hospital, that she could walk.

As for me, I'm exhausted! I can't wait to get some sleep!

I'm hoping that this isn't the first in a line of strokes and/or attacks for her.

MARYCAIN
04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, if it was a transient ischemic attack,it does increase her risk of having an actual stroke unless preventive measures are taken. Have her doctors tested her blood clotting, and blood viscosity? If her blood is too thick, it could be causing miniclots that mimic stroke. She could also have a carotid ultrasound to check for blockage of the carotid arteries, which can also cause TIA and stroke. It's a very simple, non-invasive procedure. And if her blood is too thick, then blood thinners and antiplatelet agents might improve her quality of life. I know her kidney disease makes things a lot more complicated - any luck getting her doctors to actually talk to each other?

angela
04-22-2007, 11:21 PM
hey there kokopeli :) how's mom? your in my prayers. hang in there dear.

Kokopelli
04-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Ladies, and thank you.

I'm pretty sure they were all talking, but I don't know if it was about getting her off of the narcs or not. She is currently on Cumidan and I know they have to keep track of that to make sure her blood doesn't get too thin.

This weekend, she didn't seem to be quite as responsive as she was on Thursday and Friday. She sort of kept staring off into space. She also can't tell when she has a BM. I'm going to be contacting the facility and asking them to create a schedule where she can be checked every so often. Her bottom was really sore yesterday when they cleaned her up for bed.

I'm wondering...for the moms out there...what works best to keep diaper rash from happening? Right now, she gets A&D ointment put on, but is there something that works better to protect her skin? I have gotten her a box of the Comfort Care wipes because they are more gentle on her skin then the wash clothes at the home.

I am just spending a lot of time hugging her and kissing her and telling her how much I love her.

MARYCAIN
04-23-2007, 07:19 AM
If you have a big drugstore or a home healthy supply store near you, they should carry some adult incontinence products that would be more effective than the A&D. A&D contains lanolin and that can be very irritating to some people's skin. It would also be a good idea to get one of the no-rinse foam or gel skin cleaners designed especially for incontinence care - Aloe Vesta, Carrington, ConvaTec and Sween are all good brands, although I prefer the Aloe Vesta 3 in 1 cleanser. These are designed to remove all the fecal residue without using soap and water that can irritate the skin. You can use them in combination with the comfort care wipes. Then follow up with an incontinence barrier creme to protect the skin. If your mom is prone to yeast infections, you might want to choose a barrier creme with an antifungal agent.

Is your mom sitting in a chair or a wheelchair a lot? If she is, you might want to also think of a gel cushion or a pressure cushion to keep her from developing pressure sores. If she has weakness on either side, she might not be able to adjust her weight the way she needs to, which can lead to pressure sores.

I'm sorry you and your mom are going through such a difficult time right now. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kokopelli
04-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Thank you for information. There is a medical supply store by my house, i drive by it all the time and have been meaning to stop in and check it out. I will also check out the wipes you suggested. I didn't realize that Comfort Care wipes weren't no rinse or had soap. I guess I didn't read them as carefully because they use them in the hospital and she liked them. But it may cause problems with long term use. I'll definately read more carefully!

I will look in the incontenance area more closely for oinments and stuff.

Thank you Marycain!