PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sign of lupus?

piggyo4
04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I've had tiny bumps in the middle of my scalp and a few at the nape of my neck. I don't have any hair loss and they've been there for about 10 months now and never went away. There not much of a problem, but sometimes they itch real bad. Could this be a form of lupus?

Saysusie
04-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Piggyo4;
There are serveral rashes that occur with Lupus, one is a type of Lupus that affects the skin. This is known as Discoidal Lupus. This is a skin disorder wherein a red, raised rash appears on the face, the scalp, and other parts of the body. The raised areas may become thick and scaly and may cause scarring. This rash may last for days or years and may come and go. Discoidal Lupus doesn't affect other body organs the way that SLE can. However, about 10% of people with discoid lupus will develop a form of SLE.
It might be advisable for you to show this rash to your doctor so that a determination can be made if they are or are not due to Lupus.

Below are other types of rashes associated with Lupus:

There is also Acute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus: Usually presents as an red, raised rash in a butterfly distribution on the face

Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus: these are lesions that can be on one part of thhe body or all over the body. This rash usually occurs after sun exposure.

Lupus Panniculitis: This appears as deep nodules. The lesions are situated below the skin, in the subcutaneous tissue, and heals with a deep atrophy of the involved area.

Bullous Lupus Erythematosus: These are usually blisters which contain a clear fluid. The rash usually appears in sun exposed areas, and only rarely is associated with burning sensation or redness.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

piggyo4
04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
thank you for the much needed info