PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have kidney problems?

Redhead
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Just curious what others' experiences have been. I was diagnosed with a kidney disease called Membranous Nephropathy about 10 months before it was discovered that I also had Lupus.

My nephrologist says I clearly do NOT have lupus nephritis, and he says that's a good thing.

Is is possible for Lupus to cause kidney diseases other than nephritis?

Does anyone else here have membranous nephropathy?

For those of you who have kidney problems, what has it been like? Did it ever get better?

Missy
04-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi Redhead -

My experience hs really only been with nephritis, and yes, mine has improved drastically due to medication therapy as well as naturopathy and acupunture (and a lot of rest, I think!!).

I don't know anything about nephropathy, but I wish you the best of luck.

Nice to meet you!

MARYCAIN
04-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi, Redhead - like Missy, I have nephritis. But it is possible to have membranous nephropathy associated with lupus, so the fact that you don't have nephritis doesn't necessarily mean the kidney problems are not lupus related. It's also possible to develop membranous nephropathy for no known reason - this is called idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Another possible cause is infection that damages the kidney, and there are other, less common reasons. Lupus-related membranous nephropathy may be hard to tell from idiopathic MN in the absence of other lupus symptoms.

Redhead
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah, okay ... it's making more sense now ... the rheumatologist said that Membranous Nephropathy IS caused by Lupus, while the nephrologist said no, so I didn't know who to believe.

But the nephrologist said that lupus-driven kidney diseases look different on the biopsy, and my kidney biopsy showed no signs of that. He said I was much better off with that being the case.

So I guess what's going on is that they're both right: Yes, membranous nephropathy can be caused by Lupus, but in my case it doesn't appear to be so.

Thanks.