PDA

View Full Version : Is Sleep Apnea r/t Lupus?

Pumpkin624
03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Has anyone ever experienced Sleep Apnea which is related to Lupus? I wake up at night in my sound sleep, gasping for air as though I have stopped breathing in my sleep. I am going to have a sleep study done but I was curious if anyone else experienced this? Also I had mentioned in a previous post but do having a low sex drive been an issue with lupus sufferers?

stjames13
03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
8)
JUST RECENTLY I HAVE...
MY DOCTORE THAT DIAGNOSED ME WITH IT .
HE TREATS ME FOR LUPUS AND OTHER PROBLEMS .
HE SAID I NEED TO GO FOR THE SLEEP TEST AS MY WIFE CONFIRMNED FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS I HAD BEEN FALLING ASLEEP , ALSO BTW THIS DID NOT START UNTIL I SNORED.

THIS DOCTOR HAS PREVIOUSLY DIAGNOSED ME WITH ADVANCED COPD AND EMPHYSEMA GETTING WORSE.
I AM DUE FOR A SLEEP STUDY IN A WEEK.

SUPPOSEDLY ALOT OF THEM SEEM TO THINK IT IS DUE TO THE MEDICATIONS I TAKE FOR MY BROEKN NECK AND BACK FOR PAIN.

PAIN MEDS LIKE DURAGESIC AND MSIR WILL DEPRESS YOUR RESPIRATORY SYSTEM...
SO INCLUDE THAT WITH SNORING AND MAYBE A VALIUM OR XANAX FOR MUSLCE SPASM YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING IT.

ST JAMES :oops:

beautifulbeluga
03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Pumpkin: I don't think there is particularly a connection between sleep apnea and lupus, although many lupus suffers have difficulty with sleep not necessarily apnea.

The fact that you wake up gasping for air certainly is a sign of sleep apnea which will be picked up in you sleep study. There are a couple of different kinds of sleep apnea. The most common is obstructive where a small valve in the back of your throat shuts off once you fall asleep which in turn causes you to stop breathing temporarily until you arouse enough to open that valve. This can happen many time during the night and many sufferers are not even aware it is happening. What all sufferers have in common is the feeling of always being tired even after what seems like a good night sleep. This happens because apnea sufferers never get into the restorative sleep cycle because they aways wake up first and then the cycle starts over.

The second kind is called central apnea. Basically, the brain forgets to tell the body to breath.

I myself have a mixed apnea with features of the above two and have used a CPAP machine now for almost 3 years. I was so bad before my machine that I thought I would stroke out at night and my husband kept watching me and waking me up because I would stop breathing for very long periods of time. I always woke gasping for breath and had the worst headache. Of course, the headache was from lack of oxygen to the brain which is why untreated apnea can cause death due to stroke or heart attack. My father had sleep apnea that went untreated and he died in his sleep at 63.

I hope you find out soon if this is your problem. If you have any further questions please PM me and I would be glad to answer if I can. If you do have sleep apnea it will take about 6 months before you feel the full effect of the machine because it takes almost that long to bring your oxygen levels up to normal so you need to be patient.