PDA

View Full Version : Which foods trigger flares for you?

WantItGone
03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a question. I've done my own extensive research to try and get rid of some of the aches, swelling, and inflammation. I'm sure many of you have done the same and I'd like to know what works for you. We're all different so will probably experience different reactions to various foods. I find that when I drink aspartame I experience a "flu-like" feeling. I'm not exactly sure about white potatoes and dairy. But, like now for instance, I've eaten french fries for 3 consecutive days (for lunch) and I don't know if it's a coincidence or what, but I'm more swollen, achy, and inflammed. Lupus is so weird though because I could've very well not eaten french fries the past 3 days and still be experiencing the same symptoms for whatever reason. Maybe it's too sunny?!? I do know for certain that tomatoes and sugar in excess cause me to feel "flu like" and achy. So, certain foods I avoid period because I'm quite certain their harmful. Oh, also coffee. I used to love coffee. I couldn't figure out why every morning I felt so sick. It was the coffee. My mornings are nice now. So, does anyone have anything to add.

Oh, also, during my research I've discovered that supplements like flax seed oil, fish oil, selenium, and vitamin E supposedly reduce inflammation and joint aches. Foods like pineapple decrease inflammation. What have you guys found with relation to your own body?

kimb
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
:D Hi, Wantitgone....
I have tried a low/non sugar diet. The only sugar would be from fruit and maybe a trace in cornflakes or other natural foods) But nothing with added sugar...... I have found that my joints dont ache as much when I stick to this.....Cutting out very high sugar contents(and maybe the fat as well)sure seems to help.
I know that cherry juice from the health food store works very well on infalmmation such as gout, I gave my husband some when he had it, and it dissapeared instantly. Too much though, may clean you out.
good luck with your survey. Kim

Saysusie
03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, cherry juice. I'd never heard about that, but I think that I will certainly give it a try.
The foods that I avoid like the plague and that make me ill are any kinds of red meats. I get sick almost immediately after red meat, no matter how it is prepared! So, now I don't touch it at all with the exception of lamb. I can eat small portions of lamb with no problems at all.
Potatoes do not bother me, but sugar substitutes make me feel achy all over and just generally sick. So, I just use natural sugar or splenda (it is not sugar free, just calorie free).
Sprouts cause problems for me also, so I stay away from those!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

WantItGone
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
:D Hi, Wantitgone....
I have tried a low/non sugar diet. The only sugar would be from fruit and maybe a trace in cornflakes or other natural foods) But nothing with added sugar...... I have found that my joints dont ache as much when I stick to this.....Cutting out very high sugar contents(and maybe the fat as well)sure seems to help.
I know that cherry juice from the health food store works very well on infalmmation such as gout, I gave my husband some when he had it, and it dissapeared instantly. Too much though, may clean you out.
good luck with your survey. Kim

Hi Kimb,

I'll have to try the cherry juice. For some reason my forearm (mostly left) has a lot of inflammation. My wrists have consistently bothered me since the onset of symptoms. I'll have to try it. Thanks. Everything that I listed in the initial post I found from just googling and going to the library looking through "lupus books."

WantItGone
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Hmmm, cherry juice. I'd never heard about that, but I think that I will certainly give it a try.
The foods that I avoid like the plague and that make me ill are any kinds of red meats. I get sick almost immediately after red meat, no matter how it is prepared! So, now I don't touch it at all with the exception of lamb. I can eat small portions of lamb with no problems at all.
Potatoes do not bother me, but sugar substitutes make me feel achy all over and just generally sick. So, I just use natural sugar or splenda (it is not sugar free, just calorie free).
Sprouts cause problems for me also, so I stay away from those!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

I'm not 100% sure about the potatoes. It's hard to determine because I might've just eaten french fries and something else like the sun or just the time of day might trigger flares. I have heard a lot about red meat. I don't eat a lot of red meat at all. Only chicken and turkey. Sprouts are disgusting so guess I don't have to worry about those. :D I only use splenda as well. Aspartame makes me achy. The first time I truly believed that foods can make u sick was when I'd gone without diet coke for about 3 weeks. I had it at the movies. The second I swallowed, I instantly felt sick. I was one of those people who didn't believe in the whole "u are what you eat." I'm small because I count calories basically and exercise so I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "healthy eater." I'm just extremely weight conscious. I am a true "u are what u eat" believer now since that incident.

MARYCAIN
03-29-2007, 05:44 PM
If you don't like the taste of cherries (I don't), you can get tart cherry extract in capsule form at most natural health stores. To get the maximum health benefit, it should be tart cherries rather than sweet cherries.

If you can find them in your public library, there are some good books you might want to read on this subject:

The Green Pharmacy
Foods that Harm; Foods that Heal
Prescription for Nutrional Wellness: Healing Through Food

I don't agree with everything recommended in the books, but they will give you a lot of great background information.

If potatoes and tomatoes seem to affect you, you may be sensitive to plants in the "nightshade family". Some people are sensitive to chemicals in these plants called solanines, and for those people, eating plants in the nightshade family can make arthritic symptoms worse. Nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, sweet peppers, chili peppers (but not black pepper), tobacco and huckleberries. Some herbalists also classify garlic, onion, chives and shallots as nightshades, but botanically they are not. They do contain a similar chemical which is toxic to cats and dogs, but not people. But if one nightshade plant affects you, chances are all of them may. So if you are a salsa addict, you might have to switch to a non-tomato based version and not include peppers. Other people don't seem to be affected by nightshades, but really the only way to tell is to give them up for a few weeks and see if it makes any difference.