PDA

View Full Version : How can you avoid the sun?

Redhead
03-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Fortunately, I've never been one to lie on the beach for hours ... but I have several small children. Do I need to stay indoors for 6 months and never take them on walks, Easter egg hunts, the park, the zoo??

Are you actually able to go outside in the spring and summer, and what precautions help?

I bought a big sun hat with a brim. I always wear sunscreen, even on "forgotten" places like my hands and neck. I can't imagine going for a walk in July with long sleeves and jeans; I honestly think I would pass out, and that's not really good for my health either.

Is there a brand and/or SPF sunscreen which you prefer?

This is almost one of the most upsetting things to me; the prospect that I can no longer go outside and do fun things with my kids. Please help!

utenutter
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
hello there,
unfortunately there will have to be some times you wont be able to play outside with your children,if you cover up fully, wear sunscreen etc (depending on how photosensitive you are) you can still go outside just avoid the hottestpart (heaviest uv radation times) of the day. i have three young children i have lost alot of quality time outside with them since i have had lupus, i was out doors everyday active now i aviod sun and just have to deal with that. i explained it to my children that i can't go in the sun etc, they sort of understand and are getting more used to it. covering up with long sleeves long pants is hot but you have to do it sorry.

shane

MARYCAIN
03-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I wear clininque city block 45, and wear a wide brimmed hat. I usually wear my regular clothes indoors and have a lot of loose, long sleeved jackets of linen, rayon or cotton, which "breathe" so I don't get too hot. Rather than trying to wear slacks, I usually opt for long linen or cotton skirts in summer because they are looser and cooler. If I'm going to be somewhere outside to watch the kids at sports or something, I try to find a shady area out of the direct sun. I also have a sun-blocking umbrella, which looks dorky but is very effective. And I try to schedule the kids outdoor things for late afternoon or early morning as much as I can. Luckily they are more into basketball and indoor sports right now. After a while the sunscreen and long sleeves are so much a part of the routine that it doesn't seem strange. And a little battery-operated fan or mister is handy to take with you so you don't get too hot.

angela
03-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi there! i know what you mean...atlanta in july ??!?!?! :roll: i lived there for 6 years!! anyway, i am very sensitive to the sum, found out the hard way, and have a 5 year old as well who LOVES being outside.

mayrcain is right on as usual, wide brim hat, lots of suncreen, loose linen is the best, and after a few "heat waves" here in beautiful little hercules, i began wearing skirts too.

try not to make too much of it with your babies, they'll feed off of your energy. QUALITY time matters, indoors, or out.

good luck and feel well :wink: