PDA

View Full Version : Genetics

utenutter
03-17-2007, 08:22 PM
hello all,
Most of the information i have read about lupus does not conect it to a genetic disease i also asked my dermologist and he said it is not. Alot of the stories on here mention another realtive who also has lupus or similar. I was wonding if it is a gentic disease or not,as my mother and cousin have very simalar sytmtoms to me and others to fit into the catagory of lupus so i have told them both to go get tested for it another reason i ask is i have three children and i want to know if they could be more of a canidate to get it or not.

thankyou all for your support.

shane

Lula2ya
03-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Genetic is not the term they use BUT it does tend to run in families. So isn't that genetic? My sister has RA, my daughter has MCTD, I have MCTD, my uncle had RA. I think it's genetic. Doctor's don't know what they are talking about sometimes.

utenutter
03-17-2007, 10:13 PM
don't want to sound stupid but what does RA( is it rhemotiod athritis) and what is MCTD

shane

widgelli
03-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I was reading in another site, when I was researching Kevin's problems and did read that they big shots are now beginning to think that SLE etc is genetic.
I do know that along with my husband, he has his maternal aunt with lupus and some of his cousins on that side, our youngest son has it and my late mother, although at the time I didn't know that this was one of the many sides of Lupus, had Raynauds Syndrome, so it certainly sounds to me that there could be some genes mixed up somewhere there.

MARYCAIN
03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I think most of the genetic research now leans to the idea of a "genetic predisposition" in certain families to develop autoimmune disease. So one family member might have lupus - another have RA, another have autoimmune thyroid disease, etc. Even if you have the genetic predisposition, it doesn't mean you will always develop lupus - generally there is some other factor that "triggers" the illness into being active.

Lupus isn't "heriditary" in the sense that if you have it, your children have a 50/50 chance of having it too. Accoring to most of the statistics, if a mother has lupus, her daughter has roughly a ten percent chance of having lupus too, it goes down to less than two percent for a son. I haven't seen any statistics on the odds if a father has lupus, but I expect they would be comparable.